A638 Ackworth bridge

Long way to reverse back.
At least you stopped before hitting the bridge

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The worst thing about this is, that I know of at least 3 bridges in the Wakefield area, (I live there by the way.) that have illuminated signs before them, but sadly, they are that old, they can barely be seen at any time of day or night.

This bridge is one of them.

Anyone care to name the other 2?

Ken.

This bridge is local to me and is clattered fairly regularly.Coming from Wakefield you have a slight chance of turning round.From Doncaster it’s a reverse of a good 800 yards.It does have an illuminated sign giving good notice(if it is working!) but even so the 13ft 9" should be obvious.
A few miles away towards Wakefield there is a similar height bridge at Crofton close to the Red Beck Cafe,a 24 hr cafe which,I’d imagine,will be completely unknown to the motorway jockeys amongst us.
There’s also a 13ft3" bridge near Thornes Ind.Est.off the A636 Denby Dale road which you definitely don’t want to reverse away from.

Gidders:
This bridge is local to me and is clattered fairly regularly.Coming from Wakefield you have a slight chance of turning round.From Doncaster it’s a reverse of a good 800 yards.It does have an illuminated sign giving good notice(if it is working!) but even so the 13ft 9" should be obvious.
A few miles away towards Wakefield there is a similar height bridge at Crofton close to the Red Beck Cafe,a 24 hr cafe which,I’d imagine,will be completely unknown to the motorway jockeys amongst us.
There’s also a 13ft3" bridge near Thornes Ind.Est.off the A636 Denby Dale road which you definitely don’t want to reverse away from.

I used the Redbeck regularly many years ago even before I worked for Onward Tranport in the 80s/90s. I wondered if it was still going. Those bridges were always an impediment but at least in those days you often had a flat trailer on when in the area. I have great memories of Onward/Ackworth Transport. Regards Kev.

Gidders:

Like me, only a local lad would probably know the other 2.

There is another on Thornes Lane just around the corner from the Denby Dale Road one, which is miniscule, and one you DEFINITELY don’t want to attempt.

Ken.

Kevmac 47. The Red Beck Cafe is a genuine 24 hr place that never ever closes even on christmas Day when there are separate sittings for lunch.Meals are cooked to order at any time.They also do accommodation for those who don’t cab it.The parking is about as big as a football pitch.It can be accessed low bridge free from M62 jcts 30 or 31 and from M1 jcts 39,40 or 41 which will obviously add to journey time.Wakefield also has a new south-eastern “relief road” which diverts through traffic from the city centre although I think the designer must have been drunk in charge of his pencil when he put his plan to paper.Still.Musn’t be churlish.

Gidders:
Kevmac 47. The Red Beck Cafe is a genuine 24 hr place that never ever closes even on christmas Day when there are separate sittings for lunch.Meals are cooked to order at any time.They also do accommodation for those who don’t cab it.The parking is about as big as a football pitch.It can be accessed low bridge free from M62 jcts 30 or 31 and from M1 jcts 39,40 or 41 which will obviously add to journey time.Wakefield also has a new south-eastern “relief road” which diverts through traffic from the city centre although I think the designer must have been drunk in charge of his pencil when he put his plan to paper.Still.Musn’t be churlish.

Thanks Gidders, I retired officially 7years ago, (although I still do odd days for a pal) the Redbeck was a regular stop for me when I worked for Onward and after that as an O/D. Nice to hear it’s survived. Regards Kev.

Some belting bridges in wakey,
The one on thrones wharf industrial estate is very low and the one on portobello road when your going to rawsons is about 11ft I think,never seen anyone stuck at the other side of rawsons though and you must turn off Barnsley road it’s the only way…
Apart from the bridges I love my city…

Gidders:

That relief road goes on forever. Barely quicker than going through town. Also been alot of ‘problems’ especially when dark. Nearby pinderfields hospital workers have been warned do not stop for anyone and have your doors locked.

htfc1984:

Gidders:

That relief road goes on forever. Barely quicker than going through town. Also been alot of ‘problems’ especially when dark. Nearby pinderfields hospital workers have been warned do not stop for anyone and have your doors locked.

Yes that new “relief road” or Neil fox way as it has been named is a lot longer than going through town,
Coming from Stanley I still use the old road up the hill too past the old British oak pub…I never use the new road it’s pointless