Sad incident on the M6 this morning

stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st … nt-2542558

Probably something we will never find out, but makes you wonder why was the pedestrian on the motorway?

Must be horrible for that lorry driver to now how to live with whether at fault (doesn’t sound like he is) or not.

I kicked off at Stoke this morning, had to turn around and join A34 through Stone and Stafford, took me 3 hours + to get to Hilton Park, and I had a moan to myself, consequently only got one drop off today.

However after reading about that poor lad, …wtf does it matter if I was held up a bit or not, it kinda puts things into perepective a bit.
He’ s not much older than my own lad, and it makes you think.
Condolences to the lad’s family.

The waiting room rumours are flying already, where I’ve been today. I’ll wait for a more official source.

There’s an awful lot of very unhappy people out there and a vehicle moving at motorway speeds is a quick and painless way to go
Very nearly had it happen to me this morning on the M80 at Stirling services the lad was lucky he had reflective trainers on. I’ve had 4 incidents with pedestrians on this stretch of the M80/M9 since 2016

If what your saying is true then I hope you know that and it’s not just a rumour, and I hope the HGV driver had cameras rolling to prove there was nothing he could do.

Closing the M6 for 9 HOURS for such an incident cannot be justified.

Cosmic:

Are you on the same planet?

Someone has lost their life. Whatever circumstances there are surrounding that whether they’ve taken their own life or it’s at tragic accident all you can think of is about how people have been inconvenienced and delayed. Typical motorist attitude to everything, no patience and as long as it doesn’t affect my journey then carry on.

Either way it has to be fully investigated.

Cosmic:

Would you feel the same if it was one of your family or friends involved .
They have one chance to gather forensic samples or evidence .
When these things happen the area becomes a crime scene and certain processes have to be followed .
The powers that be are fully aware of the clock running and do not prolong things any longer than necessary .
Through personal experience I can tell you that working on the scene of fatal or major accidents is a very sobering and thought provoking procedure .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

DickyNick:

Cosmic:

Someone has lost their life. Whatever circumstances there are surrounding that whether they’ve taken their own life or it’s at tragic accident all you can think of is about how people have been inconvenienced and delayed. Typical motorist attitude to everything, no patience and as long as it doesn’t affect my journey then carry on.

The thing is, if life becomes so unbearable that one has to commit suicide then there are numerous ways to do it in the privacy of one’s home, or if the person is homeless then by hanging oneself from a tree. People who throw themselves under a train or a truck know that they will cause massive trauma to the driver of that vehicle and for me, this seriously detracts from the sympathy I would normally feel for a person in such a desperate situation.

I agree with Cosmic. Once it was established that he was dead and the chances of it being anything other than suicide were non-existent, the Police should have quickly photographed the scene, removed the body and re-opened the road.

Harry Monk:

DickyNick:

Cosmic:

The thing is, if life becomes so unbearable that one has to commit suicide then there are numerous ways to do it in the privacy of one’s home, or if the person is homeless then by hanging oneself from a tree. People who throw themselves under a train or a truck know that they will cause massive trauma to the driver of that vehicle and for me, this seriously detracts from the sympathy I would normally feel for a person in such a desperate situation.

I agree with Cosmic. Once it was established that he was dead and the chances of it being anything other than suicide were non-existent, the Police should have quickly photographed the scene, removed the body and re-opened the road.

There’s a good article I read once written by a doctor of psychology. It’s all about road rage and the mentality of people when they get behind the wheel of a car. Brilliant read. It really makes you realise how ridiculous our thought process is when we get behind the wheel, such as braking late at a roundabout will actually save us time. But also how we will happily get in a fight with someone for making a mistake where as if we bumped into someone in a shopping centre we’d probably say “sorry pal” to each other, and also how we don’t give a toss about someone killing themselves and call them selfish if it affects our journey.

I’m fully aware that someone lost their life. I stand by my comment that 9 hours closure of the M6 still cannot be justified regardless.

DickyNick:
There’s a good article I read once written by a doctor of psychology. It’s all about road rage and the mentality of people when they get behind the wheel of a car. Brilliant read. It really makes you realise how ridiculous our thought process is when we get behind the wheel, such as braking late at a roundabout will actually save us time. But also how we will happily get in a fight with someone for making a mistake where as if we bumped into someone in a shopping centre we’d probably say “sorry pal” to each other, and also how we don’t give a toss about someone killing themselves and call them selfish if it affects our journey.

I’m not following your logic here. As far as I’m aware, this wasn’t a road rage incident, it was a vehicular suicide. Once it had been established that there was nothing which could be done to save the life of the suicidal person, then the situation should have been normalised in the minimum possible time and the road re-opened. It is obvious that an incident such as this will affect people’s journeys, but nine hours is a massively excessive time for one of the most major routes in the country to be closed to deal with it.

Cosmic:
I’m fully aware that someone lost their life. I stand by my comment that 9 hours closure of the M6 still cannot be justified regardless.

9 hours probably is a bit too long. The British transport police get to a scene, gather evidence, and clear it normally within 90 minutes. That’s the target they are given by network rail to get the trains moving again, and they normally do get it done within that, and that’s all done properly. So yes, I don’t know why central motorway police group can’t do the same.

But it’s still an appalling attitude many motorists have when all they can think about is them being delayed when someone has lost their life, however “selfish” people perceive that to be.

Harry Monk:

DickyNick:

I’m not following your logic here. As far as I’m aware, this wasn’t a road rage incident, it was a vehicular suicide. Once it had been established that there was nothing which could be done to save the life of the suicidal person, then the situation should have been normalised in the minimum possible time and the road re-opened. It is obvious that an incident such as this will affect people’s journeys, but nine hours is a massively excessive time for one of the most major routes in the country to be closed to deal with it.

No, road rage and this incident aren’t linked. I’m talking about motorists mentality and thought process when you look at it from the outside it’s not rational. Suicide being one time where people couldn’t care less about someone killing themselves as long as it doesn’t affect their journey.

But as I said above, 9 hours does seem a little excessive considering BTP normally grt the railway moving within 90 minutes when it’s a suicide.

DickyNick:

Harry Monk:

DickyNick:

No, road rage and this incident aren’t linked. I’m talking about motorists mentality and thought process when you look at it from the outside it’s not rational. Suicide being one time where people couldn’t care less about someone killing themselves as long as it doesn’t affect their journey.

But as I said above, 9 hours does seem a little excessive considering BTP normally grt the railway moving within 90 minutes when it’s a suicide.

Maybe road police UK, should take some training from btp.

DickyNick:

Cosmic:
But it’s still an appalling attitude many motorists have when all they can think about is them being delayed when someone has lost their life, however “selfish” people perceive that to be.

The person in question did not lose his life, he threw away his life. What consideration did he have for the driver of the truck, for people who had sick and/or elderly relatives to nurse, job interviews to go to, aeroplanes to catch etc etc etc?

What you are doing is called “virtue signalling”. It does not make you come across as a morally superior person.

Can see the point if it was an accident. These need fully investigated in the public interest. But what good comes from investigating the road conditions, skid marks, where the body landed etc if it was a suicide. I don’t even think the victims family would be interested in this. Probably more bothered about what was so bad that the took their own life or weather they could have done something to prevent it in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Monk:

DickyNick:

Cosmic:

The person in question did not lose his life, he threw away his life. What consideration did he have for the driver of the truck, for people who had sick and/or elderly relatives to nurse, job interviews to go to, aeroplanes to catch etc etc etc?

What you are doing is called “virtue signalling”. It does not make you come across as a morally superior person.

I hope I never get to that but I doubt if your at such a low point in your life that you want to end it that you are thinking of that. Your just thinking of how to do it do it properly. A train or a truck at 56mph are 2 pretty certain ways.

Harry Monk:

DickyNick:

Cosmic:

You’re looking at it as someone who is of sound mind. The person who committed suicide was not of sound mind. They are / were ill. Very ill. So ill in fact that they believe taking their own life will make things better.

damoq:
Can see the point if it was an accident. These need fully investigated in the public interest. But what good comes from investigating the road conditions, skid marks, where the body landed etc if it was a suicide. I don’t even think the victims family would be interested in this. Probably more bothered about what was so bad that the took their own life or weather they could have done something to prevent it in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the police need all the evidence to prove it was suicide and that he wasn’t chucked out the back of a transit van, or thrown off a bridge which would involve other people and be murder. They need to evidence to be able to prove that beyond all reasonable doubt to the coroner at court.

Does matter what you me or the police think, you have to be able to prove it. Which is what takes time.