Not paid to do dCPC

I did a dcpc day last week. Was on first aid but the trainer mentioned manual entries. He peddled the myth about if your getting paid you need to record it with a manual entry, if you doing it in your own time you dont.

I like many employed drivers had the course paid for but not my time.

The training is compulsory to the job so surely it should be paid.

Otherwise my employer falls foul of the minimum wage legislation and the taxman loses out.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the real world
It’s your licence
It’s your responsibility to make sure you’ve got the right qualifications ,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eh?..

If you’re employed by a company and doing a cpc module at your place of work and getting paid for attending that course then you’re working and should record that as a manual entry.

If you’re paying for it out of your own pocket (as most agency drivers will be doing) and not being paid by anyone to attend then, you’re not working and don’t have to record it as a manual entry.

marlow:
I did a dcpc day last week. Was on first aid but the trainer mentioned manual entries. He peddled the myth about if your getting paid you need to record it with a manual entry, if you doing it in your own time you dont.

It isn’t a myth. If you’re being paid you’re at work. However if they’re just paying the course and not a day’s wage then you’re not being paid to be there.

Otherwise my employer falls foul of the minimum wage legislation and the taxman loses out.

Thoughts?

Depends entirely on your contract of employment. Your driving license is compulsory too but did you expect someone to take you on and then pay for you to do it? Unless you worked next to no hours in the week you did the course or you’re working for minimum wage with no overtime rate I doubt very much you’d fall foul of minimum wage legislation if you took the total pay you earned that week and divided it by the number of hours including the 7 DCPC. For example I earn £641.85 for a 55hr week. Add 7hrs unpaid on for DCPC for a total of 62hrs and that £641.85 works out at £10.35/hr still more than minimum wage for the hours I’d have done.

Conor:

marlow:

It isn’t a myth. If you’re being paid you’re at work. However if they’re just paying the course and not a day’s wage then you’re not being paid to be there.

Thoughts?

Depends entirely on your contract of employment. Your driving license is compulsory too but did you expect someone to take you on and then pay for you to do it? Unless you worked next to no hours in the week you did the course or you’re working for minimum wage with no overtime rate I doubt very much you’d fall foul of minimum wage legislation if you took the total pay you earned that week and divided it by the number of hours including the 7 DCPC. For example I earn £641.85 for a 55hr week. Add 7hrs unpaid on for DCPC for a total of 62hrs and that £641.85 works out at £10.35/hr still more than minimum wage for the hours I’d have done.

That’s weak for super agency paid nights.

marlow:

Hi marlow,

The answer is simple.
As said above, if you go to the training of your own idea and in your own time, then you don’t need to record it.

marlow:

Then you should count yourself lucky because the boss didn’t have to pay for it at all.

marlow:

You mentioned a myth in your OP, THIS is the myth.
:bulb: DCPC has been a driver’s responsibility from day #1.

toonsy:

Conor:
For example I earn £641.85 for a 55hr week.

Indeed it is - it’s about the same as I get for 40 hours a week on days Mon-Fri…

Roymondo:

toonsy:

Conor:
For example I earn £641.85 for a 55hr week.

Indeed it is - it’s about the same as I get for 40 hours a week on days Mon-Fri…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
£11-50 per hour…(apparantly)… :confused:

marlow:

It would appear that most replies have missed this line.

We get paid home-to-home and can claim travel expenses so can’t complain.

Previous firm (salaried) tried setting up our DCPC on days off, 2 fingers quickly went up to that from enough for them to change it to rota’d on days rather than have 40 vehicles parked up with no drivers holding a DCPC.

If enough of the staff are willing to turn up on days off for it then as an individual you are stuffed, do it their way or go elsewhere, one driver can easily be replaced 20/30/40/ + can’t.

I mentioned it to where I work regards it running out in Sept.
Was told we will book and pay for the modules nearer the time.
Will be held on a Saturday .
You don’t get paid for going on the course as we’re paying for the course.

I’m in 2 minds about just paying /doing it off my own back.
As if company pays for the course and I decide to leave in the next 5 years I imagine there probably want some money back for it

edd1974:
I mentioned it to where I work regards it running out in Sept.
Was told we will book and pay for the modules nearer the time.
Will be held on a Saturday .
You don’t get paid for going on the course as we’re paying for the course.

I’m in 2 minds about just paying /doing it off my own back.
As if company pays for the course and I decide to leave in the next 5 years I imagine there probably want some money back for it

Your boss really has he’s head in the sand [emoji47] I’ve only got 2 days left to do , he’ll have no hope in September getting a CPC course

Or get a job for an employer that puts you through 1 day every year so no rushing around and also pays you £14 an hour to turn up for it :unamused: :smiley: Had my shiny new card for a month now :smiley:

With regards to the DCPC we all missed a trick here. What we should have done is refuse to take the course this year.
Then see what the Govt would do about it, They sure in Hell couldn’t refuse you to drive otherwise no goods in the supermarkets, manufacturing would grind to a halt Country would come to a standstill. Are well their you go doubt that drivers would stick together.

Am I alone in thinking it September dvla/vosa will be having a purge on stopping trucks I hope of catching out drivers…
Had my card since they came out and have been asked for it once and sure that was not long after it became law

Oh sweet Jesus I’m doomed to a life of penal servitude! I’ve completed my latest round of egg sucking (the final one a fortnight ago) my employer paid and also paid me to attend and I didn’t do a single manual entry for any of them. Am I the worst person in the world? I’m hanging my head in shame. :blush:

Question is do you pay for the course yourself at around £65 +vat per module or have it paid for and lose a days pay.Paid for attending and then its manual entry.
Once its been done its yours and you take it to where ever you work,which ever way you need it to work.

lolipop:
Question is do you pay for the course yourself at around £65 +vat per module or have it paid for and lose a days pay.Paid for attending and then its manual entry.
Once its been done its yours and you take it to where ever you work,which ever way you need it to work.

Yep to true
Watch all those who’s firm paid for it and they leave and come on here bleating on about they’ve had the money taken back for it

toonsy:

Going rate for the area. Not everyone is lucky enough to live and work in the Midlands. Job is about as easy as it gets in decent kit, I’m not having to worry about paying for parking and we’re treated as equals as agency (some there would argue we’re treated better) so it compensates somewhat. I doubt I’m the only driver who is working for a bit less than they could elsewhere because of the quality of the job.

I’ll be quids in though when the Swedish Derogation finally gets rescinded next year and I’m on the same hourly rate as their drivers which I expect is somewhat more than you’re on. I just see it as an investment in the future.

Conor:

toonsy:

I’ll be quids in though when the Swedish Derogation finally gets rescinded next year and I’m on the same hourly rate as their drivers which I expect is somewhat more than you’re on. I just see it as an investment in the future.

I’d hope it’s more than what I’m on if you’re doing nights, bearing in mind I don’t touch them. Think our night guys are £16.85p/h but they’re welcome to the extra £4.85 each hour. I’ve been away from nights too long to get back into them :laughing:

marlow:

Thoughts?

It’s not so much about if your paid its whether you are there in you’re own time.

If you’re there because you been told to its work if not it’s your time.

I know a company who paid for drivers to do course and basically said to them turn up these dates if you want it otherwise you got to pay for your own only about half used to rock up.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk