Phones

Was your life better before every body had one,in what way was it better/ worse,wolves what do you think you seem quite intelegent and have a opinion

No. Mobile phones and particularly smartphones have improved life* considerably

I missed *life out of original post.

Course it was better, you’d leave the yard Monday telling the boss ''I’ll ring you Thurs/Fri when tipped.
Then ■■■■ off for the week virtually your own boss, making your own decisions, and not being monitored and told what to do by some Herbert who knows sod all about trucking, on the phone constantly
In fact, one of the aspects of the job that made me do it in the first place.
Then came phones and trackers and the job was reduced to the cluster ■■■■ of regulation and surveillance that it is today.
Not a chance in hell I’d become a new driver today.

Btw…Just asking, but wtf have ‘‘intelligent wolves’’ got to do with it?? :open_mouth: :neutral_face: …have you been drinking? :smiley:

Work of the devil…My wife will not have one, nor will she use a computer, once I am out of here, I shall have neither.

switchlogic:
No. Mobile phones and particularly smartphones have improved considerably

I’d agree with that.
Google maps is a boon.
Trackers and all the rest of it…have no baring on my life.

Smartphone?Useful?Wouldn’t know.Don’t have one.Up to now.haven’t needed one.

Thing I hate with mobiles. It’s taken away peoples ability to make a descion.
As in you get to delivery have some kind of issue problem.
No one can just make a descion.
It’s have ring supervisor he eventaully comes over have to ring his supervisor. He has to ring someone else.
Takes them.about half an hour and a million phone calls to resolve a simple issue. Where as years ago probLen was resolved In a matter of mins.

robroy:
Course it was better, you’d leave the yard Monday telling the boss ''I’ll ring you Thurs/Fri when tipped.
Then [zb] off for the week virtually your own boss, making your own decisions, and not being monitored and told what to do by some Herbert who knows sod all about trucking, on the phone constantly
In fact, one of the aspects of the job that made me do it in the first place.
Then came phones and trackers and the job was reduced to the cluster [zb] of regulation and surveillance that it is today.
Not a chance in hell I’d become a new driver today.

Btw…Just asking, but wtf have ‘‘intelligent wolves’’ got to do with it?? :open_mouth: :neutral_face: …have you been drinking? :smiley:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
all will be revealed shortly as you start to read about all things relating to the world of phd engineering wolves.you will have a sudden feeling of deja vu and remembering the vanishing act will make things become clear.

I don’t know how much mobile phones have to do with it… but to my mind communication has got worse not better.

As said above, back in the day you either called in from your last drop or from a phone box; if your boss wanted to catch you he rang the delivery point and left a message. Nowadays my boss/planner can contact me via mobile (lorry or mine) text, email, Whattsapp or leave a message on the whiteboard in the drivers’ room… yet still I’m convinced that life would be much easier if I was bloody psychic!

Just shoot the social media satellites out the sky. Then we can use mobiles for what they are intended.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

att:
Work of the devil…My wife will not have one, nor will she use a computer, once I am out of here, I shall have neither.

Think carefully att, mobiles may be a pain when you are lorry driving , but not having a phone or especially a computer will seriously cause you problems in the future.
Almost everything will be done online and those that do not have a computer will be the losers. Not something I agree with but that’s the way it is going.

edd1974:
It’s have ring supervisor he eventaully comes over have to ring his supervisor. He has to ring someone else.
Takes them.about half an hour and a million phone calls to resolve a simple issue. Where as years ago probLen was resolved In a matter of mins.

This is spot on. I delivered a machine to a company yesterday but when I got there they didn’t have an FLT big enough to unload so I suggested asking next door if we could use theirs. They couldn’t decide and after waiting half an hour for them to make multiple phone calls and 3 managers/supervisors coming to look and still not make a decision, I walked across the road and borrowed the truck myself. Years ago that would have happened from the start.

DF40:
Just shoot the social media satellites out the sky. Then we can use mobiles for what they are intended.

That would mean no more trucknet. Forums are a form of social media after all

switchlogic:

DF40:

That would mean no more trucknet. Forums are a form of social media after all

Good point. Just Facebook & Twitter’s satellites then.

jakethesnake:

att:

Think carefully att, mobiles may be a pain when you are lorry driving , but not having a phone or especially a computer will seriously cause you problems in the future.
Almost everything will be done online and those that do not have a computer will be the losers. Not something I agree with but that’s the way it is going.

That is why I am leaving the country, I have a gaff in Portugal, in the mountains, away from everything, including phone signals, the country is not embracing tech as this one, as the people are poor and cannot afford it, so things will be simple and will not change…Just the way I want it.
I want to die outside, on the mountain when my time comes with no beeps, monitors etc.

I am not designed for this modern life, my business has been internet based for nearly 20 year now and it has got to the point that customers can no longer input their own address properly, as it is all done for them! I don`t want to be a part of it any longer.

I thought Lincolnshire was the place for me, but they are now embracing all this tech…Me no like.

There is nothing wrong with the devices, just the way they are used. I well remember struggling to find a working phone box that I could park anywhere near. Solving problems was something that I enjoyed too, but once I had a phone, if I was delayed, I could pass that up the line and it was no longer my problem. When a customer (or his jobsworth at the gate) insists that I was too early/too late/missing a booking reference, a phone call would resolve the problem. The office staff that keep calling are easily dealt with as I never took calls on the move.

As for computers, I’d be lost without mine. I do a lot of my shopping and banking on it, check what my few friends are doing, play games and read books. When anyone has a question, it’s simple to look up the answer and if I am walking through a foreign town, I can easily find my way with a few clicks on my phone.

edd1974:

But it was always that way, difference now is they don’t have to walk back to the office to do it or wait for the person they’re ringing to be sat at their desk. A few weeks ago I had a problem and phoned chaos control. It was an hour before someone got back to me because everytime transport tried to ring the person they needed to speak to they weren’t at their desk and it went to voicemail. Had they had the ability to ring that person’s mobile it would’ve been resolved much quicker.

att:
That is why I am leaving the country, I have a gaff in Portugal, in the mountains, away from everything, including phone signals, the country is not embracing tech as this one, as the people are poor and cannot afford it, so things will be simple and will not change…Just the way I want it.
I want to die outside, on the mountain when my time comes with no beeps, monitors etc.

I am not designed for this modern life, my business has been internet based for nearly 20 year now and it has got to the point that customers can no longer input their own address properly, as it is all done for them! I don`t want to be a part of it any longer.

I thought Lincolnshire was the place for me, but they are now embracing all this tech…Me no like.

I think I’ve found the long lost twin I didn’t know I had…

Santa:
There is nothing wrong with the devices, just the way they are used. I well remember struggling to find a working phone box that I could park anywhere near. Solving problems was something that I enjoyed too, but once I had a phone, if I was delayed, I could pass that up the line and it was no longer my problem. When a customer (or his jobsworth at the gate) insists that I was too early/too late/missing a booking reference, a phone call would resolve the problem. The office staff that keep calling are easily dealt with as I never took calls on the move.

As for computers, I’d be lost without mine. I do a lot of my shopping and banking on it, check what my few friends are doing, play games and read books. When anyone has a question, it’s simple to look up the answer and if I am walking through a foreign town, I can easily find my way with a few clicks on my phone.

I agree. It seems to me people are incapable of making any decisions not because of mobile phones but rather thanks to ‘blame culture’ , they are [zb] feart of making the wrong decision and carrying the can for it.

Only because companies and technology have moved on as well, are they a useful tool…Like ROB said, go in Monday, and the boss says see ya when ya get back…no more searching for 4 pennies for a uk phone, or getonies in italy…ha ha …Francs in France, DM in germany etc…but no one bothered ya…nowdays they all expect you to answer when your phone rings…i dont…unless its a hands free kit pre installed.