Mercedes Crapnav

We’ve recently acquired some Merc units with built in nav and they’re ■■■■■■■■. I’ve tested them on regular routes and
they’re constantly trying to take me down tiny side roads and through residential estates where an artic has no business being.
It’s also tried to take me over a bridge with a strict weight limit (edit: and down a “not suitable for LGV” road) though not under any low bridges as yet.

Don’t get me wrong here; I generally like satnav, though still carry a proper map for sanity checks and just because. And we’ve
got one of those spendy TomTom Go Professional jobs in the office, though they really, really don’t like lending it out.

Anyone else had this problem, or is it just me?

Bet it won’t have a problem getting you to Poland, As most German sat-navs stop working at Dunkirk…

Leaves building. :smiley:

skell790:
We’ve recently acquired some Merc units with built in nav and they’re ■■■■■■■■. I’ve tested them on regular routes and
they’re constantly trying to take me down tiny side roads and through residential estates where an artic has no business being.
It’s also tried to take me over a bridge with a strict weight limit (edit: and down a “not suitable for LGV” road) though not under any low bridges as yet.

Don’t get me wrong here; I generally like satnav, though still carry a proper map for sanity checks and just because. And we’ve
got one of those spendy TomTom Go Professional jobs in the office, though they really, really don’t like lending it out.

Anyone else had this problem, or is it just me?

I don’t think they’re specific to HGV unless you program the parameters in.

“I don’t think they’re specific to HGV unless you program the parameters in.”

I did all that. Weight/height, the lot. I think part of the problem is they haven’t been updated, ever; there are
three year old roads that just don’t exist on the nav. I can workaround that, but that’s not a good reason for the thing to try to take me
down a 200 meter impassible for LGV shortcut through a residential area when there’s a perfectly good A road that I’m already on,
and that shows ■■■■■■■■■ “lorries go this way to the industrial estate” signs.

I reckon they got some car nav software and just added a few bridges here and there.

When I got my MAN last year with sat nav I set it all up for its height, weight etc but the first day it kept trying to send me up unsuitable roads.
I looked in the vehicle profiles and noticed the profile I had set up wasn’t ‘checked’ with a tick so I tapped on it and hey presto, no problems since. Been a good system actually, just hope map updates aren’t ridiculously expensive in the future.
Our 16 plate merc sprinter has got nav and it’s crap in comparison. It’s so clunky and old fashioned in comparison but that’ll be just a car version I guess.

I’ll double check the profile, just in case.

With the MAN system you can set up multiple profiles so you select the one dependant on your trailer etc. What I found was you can deselect them all in which case it reverted to presumably car profile.

Alternatively…

You could just buy a map and run your finger along the different coloured wiggly lines until they reach the place you wanna go.

jus sayin like