Sutton Back was closed today

This driver has got himself into a bit of a mess!

sutton bank.jpg

This is what happens when drivers can’t reverse for toffee. No doubt he tried to gun it up the hill, stuffed it up and was attempting to reverse back down the hill to the bend.

Stan and Ollie,the double man drivers,allegedly Ollie said to Stanley : Well,that’s another fine mess you got me into."

Genuine mistakes happen but you do wonder how he’s got it on the verge like that.

Tyre marks at rear of trailer, trying to spin it round??
regards
Pat.

Openfield…

Closed road.

Should be made to retake an extended test before allowed back on the road.

Just what is the thought process there?

6 wheeler,no traction,wet road,■■■■ up and went downhill,(or not )from there.

I’m assuming that on these Scanyars there is a button to lift the middle axle whilst loaded and at low speed? If so, why didn’t he use it, or why wasn’t he familiar with it? It never ceases to amaze me the number of drivers who complain about wheelspin when freighted pulling out of wet T junctions etc who are oblivious to this feature when I point it out to them.

the maoster:
I’m assuming that on these Scanyars there is a button to lift the middle axle whilst loaded and at low speed? If so, why didn’t he use it, or why wasn’t he familiar with it? It never ceases to amaze me the number of drivers who complain about wheelspin when freighted pulling out of wet T junctions etc who are oblivious to this feature when I point it out to them.

If you’re heavily freighted a Scania will not allow you to raise the lift axle. There is a weight transfer button you can press to take some weight off the lift and onto the drive axle but its not as effective obviously.

I wonder if this clown has ever heard of a diff lock. I saw a driver get himself stuck in a flower bed at one of our depots once and had to show him the diff lock to get him out. Mind you, from that position there’s only one way that trailer’s going from there even if he can go back. God knows how he got himself set up like that. Take’s a special kind of moron :astonished:

Conor:
This is what happens when drivers can’t reverse for toffee. No doubt he tried to gun it up the hill, stuffed it up and was attempting to reverse back down the hill to the bend.

Look at the picture and especially the front of the truck, how did he reverse into that spot and leave the sign standing and mound of earth at the front of the cab?

muckles:
Look at the picture and especially the front of the truck, how did he reverse into that spot and leave the sign standing and mound of earth at the front of the cab?

Ah more awake now. Was coming downhill… :blush: :blush: :blush:

Tipper driver. Too much speed.

Conor:

muckles:

Ah more awake now. Was coming downhill… :blush: :blush: :blush:

Tipper driver. Too much speed.

What about the tyre screw marks on the road where you can see he’s screwed it round?

Not that it matters much but I reckon he’s tried to go up it at nigh on full weight (hence tag axle down), has got stuck so backed down and tried to screw it around then got stuck on the verge.

Looking at street view it seems that the driver attempted to start a u-turn in the little lay-by on the road.

24D23A9E-0B80-482C-9EC1-645E40168C4F.png

I got stuck a few months back the mid lift wouldnt lift the dump valve made no difference i was in manual and couldnt get traction the diff locks had no effect either .I ended up reversing down for what seemed like an age. (In a straightish line mind)It gave up on the very first section . All you who have commented but never been up go try it. I use the caravan route now .

the maoster:

It doesn’t lift the axle fully when loaded, but on the newer Scanias it shows you the amount of weight transfer (down to about 0.5 tons showing if my memory serves, thought seeing the new weight of the drive axle is probably more use), a useful feature which is also a decent guide to the amount of weight imposed on the tractor when loaded when you get used to your particular vehicle, why they didn’t equip it with full loaded axle lift like MAN’s i do not know, even the new gen doesn’t lift the axle loaded.

I agree, it is astonishing the number of drivers who haven’t a clue what the weight transfer system is for, nor when, or more importantly, when not, to use the diff lock effectively, ive seen blokes skidding like buggery trying to back into MSA parking spots before solely due to the mid lift being fully weighted.
The same bods won’t practice manual gearchange driving techniques until they need in urgently when it’s too bloody late to learn, when on a hill like that you’ll need it (cos the old Scania box cannot shift quickly enough to cope with such hills) the lorry will come to shuddering halt unless you know when to use manual block shifts (in P or H mode, cos faster changes innit), and the road speed at which the weight transfer button becomes effective on their particular vehicle so you can maintain better drive axle grip.

Believe it or not this was something taught, hill starting (or rather not stopping unless essential) on damp slippery roads, to me on my HGV course way back when it was training to control a lorry not just a test passing exercise.

The lorry in the OP, i suspect he was going for a shunt whilst U turning or her may just have been pulling away having stopped on the offside, if he’d used diff lock for grip pulling away then the lorry would have wanted to go straight anyway hence ending up on the berge, but maybe it started to wheelspin or another vehicle appeared heading for him and he decided to keep going instead, whatever has happened it’s easy done when you start to flap, i ain’t chucking any rotten tomatoes at the driver, it could happen to any one of us.

Don’t the signs telling you not to go that way start back in Thirsk?

cav551:
Don’t the signs telling you not to go that way start back in Thirsk?

Yes ,caravans prohibited and advise hgvs to use alternative routes.I had been held up in Thirsk for 2 hours so i was running late and heading for Pickering.I only had 4 tons on and it was loaded in 4 pallets to the headboard.The very first section is steep and i lost traction . Like i said i was running in manual trying to keep it going but no chance.The mid lift on my unit is very hit and miss and that day it was miss.I had been trying to lift it for a while.
The photo someone posted of the layby is much higher up the hill not far from the sharp bend.I have been up before with a 4x2 manual with no problem .I wont attempt it with this thing again. It went up Garaby Hill a few weeks back no problem with 20 tons on but that is a 1 in 7 i think

Wouldn’t it…

Be more practical just to put a weight limit (except for access) on the whole road?

yourhavingalarf:
Wouldn’t it…

Be more practical just to put a weight limit (except for access) on the whole road?

Well i went down the other day and quite a few artics were going up . There’s not really a suitable alternative . I used the caravan route last time and there’s some great sites to see check the old Abbey out but its narrow in parts with a few villages on the way