DVLA Rules

My wife and I moved recently and as she still has a paper driving licence she requires to change it to a photocard one. DVLA will not accept a Birth Certificate on it’s own as proof of identity. As she is not in receipt of a pension, due to her entitlement date being put back six years, there is no proof there. Her passport expired in June 2015 so that is unacceptable. A letter from HMRC is acceptable, however, you have to have your identity verified by a credit reference agency before they will accept any communication from them.

This is all in the name of security. We are married and have a certificate to prove it, she is liable for council tax and is registered to vote so the local council could verify her ID. We have joint bank accounts, she has both a National Insurance number and NHS number but again these are not acceptable. She is registered at a medical practice and joint owner of our house but again none of this is acceptable to DVLA.

She is required by law to inform DVLA of her change of address but how does she do it? Anyone got any ideas?

scan old paper licence then send it to DVLA with a photo and a note stating change of address along with a cheque or money order for £17

Then sit back and wait to see what they do because if they do not issue a new one then you have proof that you did all you could

I take it you have done the photo signing on the back stuff etc ?
What Rog says is the best idea, they will undoubtedly simplify it.
We had a vaguely similar thing with a young foreign person staying with us who wanted to learn to drive, initially they wanted her to get the form signed and picture verified by somebody in her own country, as we had not known her long enough. After I protested they decided that her personally visiting a DVLA office with a photo was good enough, a member of staff there signed it and licence appeared. Never passed the test though :frowning:
I realise that’s not so easy now a there are no local DVLA offices ?

I always smile ruefully when an out of date passport is refused as photo evidence. It’s still the same bloody person ffs!

Simply apply for a new passport first?

the maoster:
I always smile ruefully when an out of date passport is refused as photo evidence. It’s still the same bloody person ffs!

That’s my thinking as well, what ID do you need for a passport? probably less than for the driving licence.

waddy640:

the maoster:

That’s my thinking as well, what ID do you need for a passport? probably less than for the driving licence.

Just the fact that you had one before is enough, I think.
When I renewed mine I don’t remember doing anything except filling an online form in, paying with a card, then sitting back and waiting for it to arrive by courier (20 quid extra).