Putting tacho on rest before ejecting card

Who does this? And why?

I don’t. I see no reason for it, I just wondered who has bought the bull about it accounting all your rest period :unamused:

I do, because the CPC man, said it’s a £300 fine and 6 years in prison. I’m scared, I’ve been affected listening to Muppets… :smiley:

I do it for 1 min so it registers im.on rest. By time.put coat on packed bag time to eject card. No skin off my nose.

No one told me to just something I do.

Although if on nights out I leave card in obviously on rest mode. But have told a few times i should eject my card on nights out then insert or again when I start

I do but purely by habit.

Means no never mind as I do manual entries at start of each shift to account for bits of work like walking to office and handing in paperwork etc and similar in a morning collecting paperwork etc

So moot point for me what modes its on when I put card in or take out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do and have done since I first started driving lorrys with a digi tacho.
No ones ever said I should or shouldn’t though

Fortunately, our truck goes onto rest when you turn the ignition off.

Come end of work day etc, it doesn’t really matter if we take the card out or not - but I do remove mine out of habit…

Saves the hassle of print outs explaining the hours of ‘other work’ over night… :laughing:

No, it gets left on other work because walking from the truck to the office to debrief is other work.

biggriffin:
I do, because the CPC man, said it’s a £300 fine and 6 years in prison. I’m scared, I’ve been affected listening to Muppets… :smiley:

Its 9 years in prison. Get less for armed robbery. Your in the wrong job.

damoq:
No, it gets left on other work because walking from the truck to the office to debrief is other work.

+1

But…

You’ve also touched on another pet hate of mine. A debrief? Isn’t that just finishing work? I’m never sure what, as a HGV driver, can be debriefed?

I do it as standard. There’s nothing to be lost by doing it.

toonsy:

damoq:

+1

But…

You’ve also touched on another pet hate of mine. A debrief? Isn’t that just finishing work? I’m never sure what, as a HGV driver, can be debriefed?

Just a fancy name for handing in your keys and paperwork. [emoji23]

The only valid argument for putting it on rest at the end of the shift is on the off chance you forget to remove your card, that way if you did forget to remove your card you won’t have multiple infringements, and even then DVSA taking one look at it would realise its a human error.

I’ve never bothered. Because next time I put the card in it says “rest until now?”. I either press yes if that’s appropriate and then rest is recorded, or I press no and do a manual entry. Either way the correct information will be stored the next time the card is inserted and putting it on break before it’s ejected doesn’t change that either way.

damoq:

toonsy:

damoq:

+1

But…

Just a fancy name for handing in your keys and paperwork. [emoji23]

I agree. The military, police, or fire brigade go for a debrief after a mission/operation with their senior officers. HGV drivers don’t need a debrief after doing a night trunk down the M6 or doing 3 drops of pallet deliveries.

Nope i dont as in the morning i add a manual entry on the card of 5 mins for putting keys/paperwork in office.

I don’t, I do manual entry the following shift.

damoq:

This is the correct way because, unless you leave your truck and immediately start your journey home (no going for debrief, walk through security or whatever) then you are not on break, you are still doing ‘other work’. If being picky then Mr DVLA will more likely pick you up for working when tacho shows you are on break.

toonsy:
Who does this? And why?

I don’t. I see no reason for it, I just wondered who has bought the bull about it accounting all your rest period :unamused:

‘Accounting for the daily rest period’ isn’t the same thing as saying it has to be accounted for using the tacho.On that note as I heard it best practice was to keep a continuous 24 hour trace whether log books or tacho long before the DCPC was even heard of.Which generally meant a manual entry on a tacho chart just like a log book,including the change from/to other work at the end/start of a shift,unless nights out with the truck in which case yes then it’s obviously recorded on the tacho.

Guess I have been lucky all places I’ve worked. Walk into office hand in paperwork collect tomorrow’s paperwork park truck up put it on rest for couple mins . Eject card lock truck go home taking keys with me. Could leave my card in overnight I guess. But rather take it home just in case

I’ll put in my two-penny worth…

Putting on Rest at end of shift is unnecessary. BUT it does help persons who can’t cope with manual entries. It seems to prevent those situations where drivers show “Other Work” instead of Rest between 2 shifts, the most common mistake with digital tachos.

The proper thing to do is just eject your card when you finish with your vehicle. Next shift, put card in and do all your manual entries (which should include Work at end of last duty, Rest between duties, and Work since start of new duty).

On a Stoneridge it asks you if you’ve been “On Rest until now?” Yes/No. This again is designed to overcome mistakes with manual entries not being done properly. Easiest thing is just to hit “Yes” - but for the purists, it won’t log the time when you started work.