CPC Howlers (again)

CPC training today. Trainer has already told us in all seriousness that DVSA will fine £x per turn of the landing legs handle, and now states quite emphatically that our digicards hold 28 days worth of data, with day 1 data being overwritten and no longer visible as soon as the card is inserted on day 29…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
CPC training today. Trainer has already told us in all seriousness that DVSA will fine £x per turn of the landing legs handle, and now states quite emphatically that our digicards hold 28 days worth of data, with day 1 data being overwritten and no longer visible as soon as the card is inserted on day 29…

… then he’ll easily be able to show that in black and white, but don’t hold your breath whilst you wait for him to look it up. :smiley:

Roymondo:

Does he even know where the ignition key goes on a wagon? :laughing:

Got told last week by a trainer that if you run out of hours, you can drop your trailer and drive the unit home set to out of scope??

idrive:
Got told last week by a trainer that if you run out of hours, you can drop your trailer and drive the unit home set to out of scope??

It’s certainly an arguable one if you have no goods and are headed directly home (not returning to your base).

idrive:

Don’t see why you can’t do this to run the unit to the chippy or the shops every day anyway. That’s another argument though.

TheUncaringCowboy:

idrive:

Don’t see why you can’t do this to run the unit to the chippy or the shops every day anyway. That’s another argument though.

Couple years back whilst having a “Voluntary Interview” with DVSA the top DVSA Person in the room (there was a few) told me that he never had a problem with a driver using the unit only to “go and get his supper” he said he always looked the other way. But as soon as the digital Tachograph came in they could no longer turn a blind eye to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idrive:

Would that work with a rigid?

Roymondo:

Please name and shame? Then I can be sure not the give the idiot a job when he comes looking…

I had a room full the other day where the previous trainer had told them that before removing their card from the tacho unit they should put it on break. Not sure where to start with that one unless i just wait for all the infringements to turn up…

This has just reminded me of something in our last CPC course that I was going to ask on here.

He told us that it is illegal and we can be fined if there is a twist in a ratchet strap. He said some drivers put a twist in it to stop the noise when the wind hits the strap when using a flat trailer. Apparently putting a twist in the strap weakens it. I didn’t believe it one bit but I’ve been wrong in the past and thought I would ask here.

You’re right and he’s an idiot

A knot will weaken or be a weak spot but not a twist

WhiteWhiteWhite:

TheUncaringCowboy:

idrive:

Couple years back whilst having a “Voluntary Interview” with DVSA the top DVSA Person in the room (there was a few) told me that he never had a problem with a driver using the unit only to “go and get his supper” he said he always looked the other way. But as soon as the digital Tachograph came in they could no longer turn a blind eye to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what would happen if you took it all the way to tea without biscuits with the TC now, after regularly sticking it on out of scope for 20 minutes to nip for your tea. Assuming you had some receipts for the chippy and Asda.

Before it was digi there were much easier ways to be at the kebab shop and on your rest at the same time :laughing:

good_friend:
You’re right and he’s an idiot

A knot will weaken or be a weak spot but not a twist

That is exactly what a couple of drivers said but according to him we were wrong

good_friend:

Roymondo:

Please name and shame? Then I can be sure not the give the idiot a job when he comes looking…

I had a room full the other day where the previous trainer had told them that before removing their card from the tacho unit they should put it on break. Not sure where to start with that one unless i just wait for all the infringements to turn up…

Could that be true? I haven’t driven for over 5 years but I’m sure I used to drive one on agency that if you didn’t put it on break I think it showed you working when you put your card in

The legislation requires the “Driver card” (digi card) to hold a minimum of 28 days data. This is based on 98 (not sure of correct number) activities per day.
The data is over written when the chip is full.
This means that I can go back twelve months on my card as I don’t drive every day.
Just scroll back on the the date when doing a print out, to see how many days are stored on your Driver Card.

mac12:
Could that be true? I haven’t driven for over 5 years but I’m sure I used to drive one on agency that if you didn’t put it on break I think it showed you working when you put your card in

No darling, it’s not true

plus the newer tachos will give you infringements aplenty if you do this. Somewhere in the docs on the web (not sure exactly where but someone will know) it says something like ‘you cannot finish your shift on a break’ or similar words to that

Not sure whether the older tachos might have let you get away with it but the new ones won’t

erm, aren’t you working when you put your card in anyway??

Hold that thought. After reading another post on exactly the same subject it looks like I may be wrong. Will have to go and look it up but don’t have a lot of time atm so might be a couple of days.

It’s deffo not illegal to take eject your card without putting the tacho on break, I know that much, but it looks like I am wrong about infringements. Sorry if that is the case

good_friend:
deffo not illegal to take eject your card without putting the tacho on break, I know that much, but it looks like I am wrong about infringements. Sorry if that is the case

The VDO manual used to say to put the mode on break before ejecting the card but it’s certainly not illegal not to do so.

It’s also not illegal to finish a shift on a break, however a break at the immediate start or finish of a shift will not count for the WTD.

Sent from my mobile.

on a cpc last year i was told it is illegal NOT to use poa?

I was tucking all the strap ends in nice and neat on a particularly tatty trailer when another driver came busting across and told me his cpc man had said this practice was now illegal in case a cyclist’s handlebars got caught up in the loops I had made :slight_smile: