Favourite area to work in UK?

Having retired now and mostly living in Holland I have had time to think more about my time as an employee mainly as an LGV driver.
I count myself lucky never to have lived in one area for too long as I tend to get bored and move on.(Lucky to have a wife that feels the same) I have always liked to travel hence maybe the reason I became a driver.
My driving all started in Scotland where I worked through the late sixties and some of the seventies and then in London for many years. I have also worked in Europe but not for any great length
of time so cannot consider that as a favourite. I also worked in the Midlands for a few years doing varied work. I have enjoyed all areas in their own way but overall I have to say my favourite place was when I worked in Scotland. I did a lot of whisky,(from the west coast) delivering (all over the north) and sampling both in great measure but I always found the people to be friendly and helpful and the scenery extremely spectacular. In winter the roads could be challenging to say the least but that kind of added to the fun.

My question is where have you liked working and why? Just interested to hear other views.

For me running in the UK has to be anywhere north of Perth but when doing over the water anywhere once I got off the boat or train, anywhere south of Penrith or Scotch Corner got the depression starting …

wrong thread sorry

Have to agree here OP, I used to run barley all over the north of Scotland and then woodchips back down into Cowie. The weird and wonderful places distilleries and sawmills are let’s you see some of the most spectacular scenery available. Love my job and work up there.

I think the general opinion amongst the guys I work with is that the further south you go the worse it gets.

rocketsquadron:
Have to agree here OP, I used to run barley all over the north of Scotland and then woodchips back down into Cowie. The weird and wonderful places distilleries and sawmills are let’s you see some of the most spectacular scenery available. Love my job and work up there.

Being a Scot living in the west of a Scotland I definitely don’t appreciate the country until I go to such places. It’s all on our doorstep.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Further from London the better

Beeing a newbie, I cant really comment as Ive not started my new Job as yet. Im currently in Scotland having a holiday near Alloa , and I agree that the scenery up here is amazing. Out on the road in my open top car ive been watching excitedly as lorries pass me in these beautiful hills. I would seriously consider relocating up here for a class 1 job in the north of Scotland.

Need to be careful with this thread. Could start the “independence” argument again [emoji21] by biggin up Scotland

Well thats a completely different topic and nothing to do with hgv drivers and their favourite work places

Jasesonix:
Well thats a completely different topic and nothing to do with hgv drivers and their favourite work places

You don’t say

Anywhere North of Carlisle, despise every millimetre of road South of there. Hateful place to drive a truck.

Getting back on topic.

Did enjoy drive from Scotch corner into Sheffield City Centre recently.

Suppose that’s a major plus of the job. Get to see different parts of the country

Many Moons ago I used to load in Belgium for Lybster in the North of Scotland.
Reloaded just outside of Inverness to come back with.

Loved it up there.

Scotland does seem to be the favoured destination so far in this thread.

Jasesonix:
Scotland does seem to be the favoured destination so far in this thread.

I think that it’s lack of traffic that appeals tbh. Certainly north of Perth seems to fit the bill, but I’m also partial to West Wales and also the South West during winter for the same reasons.

We run out of Peterlee, up to Scotland 99.999% of the time.

But have done some southern runs this week - only down to Walkers Leicester, that other 0.001% of the time…

Not been down that way since the middle of last year, and it reminds me why we prefer Scotland over England for driving…

Without doubt its Northern Ireland have done it on and off since 1972 even during the troubles I had no bother at all, brilliant people, I have always found the ferry crossings enjoyable even the Dolreada, only the older lads will remember that boat.

I’m originally from Suffolk but have lived and worked in the north of Scotland for the last 25 years and a million quid and 10 wild horses couldn’t drag me back to the ■■■■■■■■■ that is ‘darn sarf’ … :slight_smile:

Northern Ireland because it means I will be driving south at some point and I do enjoy Ireland. The breakfast rolls, the pubs with space for artics at night, the really wide single carriageways where slow cars move over for you and you do the same for others cars and receive a nice couple of hazard light flashes as a thank you.

Seemingly no dashcam warriors and little in the way of speed camera’s, just watch for the Garda who rather dip tanks then point radar guns. Just really nice out there.