Lichfield bridge hit again!

This pub might have to become my local the way things are going :laughing:

From twitter
twitter.com/stonemonkeys01/stat … 68929?s=19

Oh such ironic names, such wit, such joi de vivre, and doubtless, lashings of faux bonhomie to accompany it all.

Must be a right laugh around there, highlight of the week, a lorry hitting a bridge :unamused:

Reminds me of the recent manufactured outrage thread about drivers using mobile phones. People make mistakes, but very few of them make them as publicly and as obviously as truck drivers do. Does anybody know of a bridge (of similar design and construction) in The UK that has had any remedial work done to it following a similar incident?

Why does this thread even exist on this site? We all know it happens, we all know it could happen to any of us, why the schadenfreude? Get a life.

Drempels:
Oh such ironic names, such wit, such joi de vivre, and doubtless, lashings of faux bonhomie to accompany it all.

Must be a right laugh around there, highlight of the week, a lorry hitting a bridge :unamused:

Reminds me of the recent manufactured outrage thread about drivers using mobile phones. People make mistakes, but very few of them make them as publicly and as obviously as truck drivers do. Does anybody know of a bridge (of similar design and construction) in The UK that has had any remedial work done to it following a similar incident?

Why does this thread even exist on this site? We all know it happens, we all know it could happen to any of us, why the schadenfreude? Get a life.

I somewhat agree.
Any other profession there is a sense of unity and comardly not with truckers though. :laughing:

Personally I don’t put too much blame on the trucker.
While some drivers are still being paid less then the minimum wage you can’t expect anything but ineptitude.

Maybe if the government started issuing unlimited Fines to companies for bridge strikes I’m sure things would change fast. :laughing:

You can see where they’re coming from though when the bridge gets struck again and again causing disruption to a main route into Lichfield and disruption for the trains serving the town also.

Certain professions catch the public eye when someone makes a mistake. Us being one of them. Make a mistake sat in an office and cost the company a few grand…no one could care less (apart from the boss maybe) If a lorry drivers makes a mistake it’s all over media and social media within an hour.

Maybe there are more dicks driving trucks than office desks ■■ just askin …

Drempels:
we all know it could happen to any of us

I take…

Issue with that. I make ■■■■ sure it doesn’t happen as do many other drivers.

raymundo:
Maybe there are more dicks driving trucks than office desks ■■ just askin …

Anyone can make a mistake. That doesn’t make you a ■■■■. In fact I know plenty of utter pillocks sat behind office desks. Problem is that on a truck only a small mistake can result in quite a display for the public. I’m not saying hitting a bridge with plenty of signage is a small mistake by the way. But there’s plenty of the public having a good laugh at mistakes lorry drivers make other than bridge strikes.

Drempels:

You’re not the driver are you■■? :wink:

That bridge has been hit 4 times in the last Month by brain dead drivers, causing havoc in the city. the pub next to it has decided to poke abit of fun at it, abit of light hearted fun.

“We all know it could happen to any one of us” speak for yourself fella :wink:

maga:

Drempels:

You’re not the driver are you■■? :wink:

That bridge has been hit 4 times in the last Month by brain dead drivers, causing havoc in the city. the pub next to it has decided to poke abit of fun at it, abit of light hearted fun.

“We all know it could happen to any one of us” speak for yourself fella :wink:

No, I’m not the driver. The point I’m making is that all this is achieving is publicity for a pub whose staff seem to enjoy the troubles of others (members of our industry for better or for worse) to the point of naming a drink after such incidents. Think about that, would you call that normal? If a chef in a pub poisoned a load of people, would they name one “Gastroenteritis Brew”? Of course not. It’s all over soshul meejda anyway, so why not leave it there for the dullards who get off on this sort of childish nonsense.

After all, isn’t this forum meant to be by drivers for drivers?

Glad you’re so confident, hope you never make any mistakes, and nothing bad ever happens to you in your time behind the wheel.

How many other professions make a mistake with a 45ft advert attached to them though?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
How many other professions make a mistake with a 45ft advert attached to them though?

Exactly, people make far, far bigger mistakes every hour of the day and nobody ever hears about them, so the amount of exposure doesn’t fit the “crime”.

How many of people have an error-free day at work, every day? Pointy-shoe makes a mistake, he can blame Karen from acounts or Johnny from the warehouse. Take a wrong turn in an artic and it can get very sticky.

99% of the public who love what you’re carrying but hate you and your vehicle would rather take silly pictures than maybe offer a helping hand or watch you back, for example, and here we have other drivers taking a similar approach. Nice.

I know, my outfit is 13.9 high, if I’m going somewhere new I will look at the map and check my route, I will also not go blindly in to a new drop before checking I can get in and out safely, I’m the captain of the ship, …
These numptys who keep hitting that bridge can see the signs, they just keep following their dam car sat navs… Also you don’t need to go through Lichfield when you leave Amazon at rughley.

yourhavingalarf:

Drempels:

I take…

Seconded. If you drive a higher than average vehicle then the driver should know the height. It is all part of a drivers responsibility, is it not?
If you cannot manage a simple task like that then sorry but you should not be driving such vehicles. :unamused:

Drempels:

El Deano:

Exactly, people make far, far bigger mistakes every hour of the day and nobody ever hears about them, so the amount of exposure doesn’t fit the “crime”.

How many of people have an error-free day at work, every day? Pointy-shoe makes a mistake, he can blame Karen from acounts or Johnny from the warehouse. Take a wrong turn in an artic and it can get very sticky.

99% of the public who love what you’re carrying but hate you and your vehicle would rather take silly pictures than maybe offer a helping hand or watch you back, for example, and here we have other drivers taking a similar approach. Nice.

Stop making excuses for poor driving please. Maybe just maybe if these incidents are more widely known about something might get done to stop it happening!
If you can’t drive a lorry without hitting a bridge then you should get an office job.

jakethesnake:

yourhavingalarf:

Drempels:

I take…

Seconded. If you drive a higher than average vehicle then the driver should know the height. It is all part of a drivers responsibility, is it not?
If you cannot manage a simple task like that then sorry but you should not be driving such vehicles. :unamused:

If I’m looking at it right the lower bridge ain’t 14 feet high.It’s actually not much if any higher than the unit. :confused:

Why cant all railways go under the roads caus the height of trains dont alter a lot, make it much easier for everyone?

3piece-wheel:
Why cant all railways go under the roads caus the height of trains dont alter a lot, make it much easier for everyone?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:

Drempels:

El Deano:

Stop making excuses for poor driving please. Maybe just maybe if these incidents are more widely known about something might get done to stop it happening!
If you can’t drive a lorry without hitting a bridge then you should get an office job.

I haven’t made any excuses for the (obviously) poor driving. I imagine the drivers involved in bridge strikes aren’t drivers any more with such an incident on their records, so apart from whatever penalties are imposed on them by the authorities, they now have to find a new career.

That’s effectively being punished twice, along with all the other things that go along with “major incidents” as we like to label things nowadays, so all the self-righteous ire should be surely be satisfied by that.

The social media “outrage” is unnecessary, but sadly part of modern life. I very much doubt that “raising awreness” is the motive behind it.

It is not outrage, just very good marketing by the pub.
You really have to ask why this particular bridge gets hit so often despite being so well sign posted. It is hard enough for those of us in the industry to understand so I can see why outsiders have the reaction they do. I do have a twinge of sympathy for those involved followed by a chuckle. All these bridge strike posts have taught me one thing though - as part of my checks I always measure the height.