Being a drivers mate doing multi drop

Hi looking for advice I have just started a new job doing multi drop and have been told to not put my card in slot two like I have in every other job because as a passanger I will be making phone calls and doing other work and the tacho would record it as poa and that would be wrong so I have to do manual entries to show my activitys for the day is this right

But you dont drive I dont get it ? the tacho also records when you take a pee or a dump in a layby so I have been told time and dates, whats a tacho by the way ?

bing.com/videos/search?q=ta … &FORM=VIRE

That’s the way I do it when sent out with another driver - But mainly because I don’t want my time recorded as “not working”. When/if I take over the driving I put my card in and input manual entries to cover the time spent in the passenger seat - with my activity shown as “other work”.

Colin in Sweden:
But you dont drive I dont get it ? the tacho also records when you take a pee or a dump in a layby so I have been told time and dates, whats a tacho by the way ?

bing.com/videos/search?q=ta … &FORM=VIRE

The op did not say he would not be driving he said as passenger,stacho is a device that records your activities when you are at work,google is your friend,try useing it instead of taking the ■■■■(in a layby)

Sorry malcolm :blush:
I am way out of touch now I last drove trucks back in 2004 here in Sweden last bil med släp (wagon n drag)
I am only serious when asleep but then you never know what I am dreaming about :laughing:
No offense was ment to our poster asking the Q
But if he doesnt drive ? why use a tacho I thought those were old hat now :question:

If I was a copper/VOSA and stopped a truck…
Two in the cab, one with a card in slot one; the second who has a card, but didn’t have it in slot 2 at the time of the stop…
Wouldn’t i be seeing a failure to keep current records?

What’s to stop putting 2nd driver’s card in slot 2, then correcting the auto recorded period of rest or availability by manual entry when swooping it into slot 1?

Never thought about this scenario before.
I would imagine failing to keep records and looking like someone trying to ‘pull a fast one’ is more likely than being busted for making a phone call from the passenger seat?

No way would I think being a crew member and deliberately leaving your card out of slot 2 is sensible.

Edit to add:
Can’t the slot 2 card be put on duty? I thought it only recorded POA as break when switched onto break or POA? Never tried it so not sure.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I did a run down to Faro Portugal doubled up,we got stopped in Spain on the way down and in France on the way back,the only thing the Traffic Officers wanted was my oppo`s card in slot two.
Only to ensure he was a second driver and it was not me doing all the driving all the way.
Two in a motor two cards.

lolipop:
I did a run down to Faro Portugal doubled up,we got stopped in Spain on the way down and in France on the way back,the only thing the Traffic Officers wanted was my oppo`s card in slot two.
Only to ensure he was a second driver and it was not me doing all the driving all the way.
Two in a motor two cards.

You could actually do all the driving by using his card as well, illegal but is probably done.

If you are driving at any point your card should be in slot 2 from the time you started work until you finish…you get pulled its you that will be fined.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

jowett1969:
If you are driving at any point your card should be in slot 2 from the time you started work until you finish…you get pulled its you that will be fined.

How do you propose to do that if there are three of you in a crew cab, all of whom do some of the driving?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Flow:
Hi looking for advice I have just started a new job doing multi drop and have been told to not put my card in slot two like I have in every other job because as a passanger I will be making phone calls and doing other work and the tacho would record it as poa and that would be wrong so I have to do manual entries to show my activitys for the day is this right

where does he say 3 in cab?..

jowett1969:

Flow:

where does he say 3 in cab?..

Where did I say he did? Your reply appeared to be a general one rather than specific to the OP’s situation. Hence my question.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Two in the cab, one with a card in slot one; the second who has a card, but didn’t have it in slot 2 at the time of the stop…

What’s to stop putting 2nd driver’s card in slot 2, then correcting the auto recorded period of rest or availability by manual entry when swooping it into slot 1?

I would imagine failing to keep records and looking like someone trying to ‘pull a fast one’ is more likely than being busted for making a phone call from the passenger seat?

No way would I think being a crew member and deliberately leaving your card out of slot 2 is sensible.

Edit to add:
Can’t the slot 2 card be put on duty? I thought it only recorded POA as break when switched onto break or POA? Never tried it so not sure.

Since when was it a requirement for passengers in vehicles subject to EU or Domestic Regs to tell or show DVSA bods anything at all? What business of his are the passengers? In other words, how will he even know that the passenger has a card in the first place?

Edit to add:
The second slot can only record POA any time the vehicle is moving. When stationary, it can record break, work or POA. It is this inability to record anything other than POA which gives rise to DVSA allowing the first 45 mins to be counted as a Break.

If you are employed as a “Driver’s Mate”, not driving and presumably paid at a lower rate than a driver, you have no need to put a card in the slot at all.

Santa:
If you are employed as a “Driver’s Mate”, not driving and presumably paid at a lower rate than a driver, you have no need to put a card in the slot at all.

That’s a good point.
Are you employed as a Driver, or Drivers Mate?
Regardless of actually owning a tachocard it all depends on what is your job title, innit?

Roymondo:

Franglais:

Edit to add:

Since when was it a requirement for passengers in vehicles subject to EU or Domestic Regs to tell or show DVSA bods anything at all? What business of his are the passengers? In other words, how will he even know that the passenger has a card in the first place?

Edit to add:
The second slot can only record POA any time the vehicle is moving. When stationary, it can record break, work or POA. It is this inability to record anything other than POA which gives rise to DVSA allowing the first 45 mins to be counted as a Break.

GV 262.
“A driver is anyone who drives a vehicle, or is carried in a vehicle to be available for driving”.

So is the person sat in the passenger seat really a “passenger”?
Surely they are they still a driver, albeit not driving at that instance?

If the “2nd man” has no Driver Card with him/her they may not be ‘available to drive’? But if they have, then they are subject to control just as any other driver, on the road or doing loading duties is.

I think that’s your answer. If you are truly not available to drive, and will not drive, even if there is a problem etc. then you are not subject to driving rules. I just wonder what the situation is if, say, Monday you are stopped by DVSA whilst driving, everything OK, but then you are stopped on Thursday ,working as mate ,by same DVSA person ? I think, even if they suspected you of abusing the rules, have no immediate powers to ask you for anything as at that moment, you are not a driver. Obviously that might result in a visit to your depot to examine tacho records for everyone, causing untold havoc and hassle, all down to you :laughing:

What is the position with a furniture lorry ,there could be a driver and two bods employed as porters. The porters could be former drivers .

Worth mentioning that even if, on a particular day, the OP is not and doesn’t intend to be driving, he would have to put his card in if he has, or will be driving on another day.

For example; he might work on Saturdays as a driver for another employer, but as a porter/mate during the week. I am not sure how much time has to pass (28 days maybe?) before he would not need to use his card again.

In the end, as with many of these fine points of law, it might come down to the attitude test if stopped.

alamcculloch:
What is the position with a furniture lorry ,there could be a driver and two bods employed as porters. The porters could be former drivers .

The drivers are employed as such.
The porters are also employed as such.
Why would anyone employed as a porter, drive, when the drivers get paid more to do it ?