LGV licence before 21?

nomiS36:
I’ve been in the game long enough to know it can be and usually is a load of crap. Problem is he went to collage to do my preferred option for him, engineering. Since then he applied for many apprenticeships which have led nowhere. To keep himself in beer n ■■■■ (yeah I know [emoji849]) he got himself an agency gig working in the redhouse b&q warehouse. Now he’s earning decent dough (for his age) his search for an apprenticeship on crap money has been put on the back burner. So, the other day he said he wouldn’t mind driving for a living. I did tell him it ain’t all it’s cracked up to be but would look into the feasibility and costs involved hence the post on here.
Van driving, ironically, is out because firms can’t insure under 21’s.

I was in a similar boat 30+ years ago and my dad did talk me out of being a lorry driver (“Don’t do it son, I’ve never met a rich one and there aren’t too many happy ones either. Get yourself a trade, you’ll never regret it”)!! I went into engineering via the apprenticeship route and whilst initially the money isn’t brilliant, long term your son will be better off. The company I work for is currently recruiting for engineering apprentices (we’ll take on 60+ this year) across multiple disciplines; mechanical, electrical, controls and instrumentation, and electronics. If you’re within reasonable commuting distance of Reading it’s an excellent training scheme with guaranteed employment at the end of it. You can PM me if you want more details.