What's the longest you spent stationary?

The rules are simple.

You had to be on an active Road.
You couldn’t leave your vehicle unless to go to the bushes for a tinkle or to chat to fellow motorists to pass the time.
Operation stack may count but I don’t know much about it tbh.

I suspect the m6/ m25 will be mentioned a lot.

My record is about 3 hours on the a13 due to a motorcycle rear ending a tipper at 100+ mph.
So Ive been pretty lucky so far in my career no really long ones that have forced a night out. :grimacing:

6 hours. Was right behind a crash on m6 south at birmingham on the bridge flyover.

Car ran right under the back of an HGV killing the occupants.

Was right behind it. Shocking to see. Safe to say when i called yard to explain they were sympathetic. No mention of when will you get there etc.

Southwaite services M6 heading north 36 hours due to snow, no ploughs could get through.
They even put up the price of tea and coffee the second night.
Sorry I broke the rules I had company there,toilets, food, telephone :blush:

50 minutes on the M1 south J13. Got a break in too.

Day and a half…

Snowed in on the AP36 between Madrid and Albacete.

The half day was spent trying to free off the unit brakes which froze solid overnight. Luckily I was within walking distance of a service area so I it was fairly cushy. The car drivers had a really crap time having nowhere decent to sleep.

I’d say many posters on here have spent most of they’re working life stationary.
If all you’ve done is drive trucks all your life then maybe you’re stuck in a rut, perhaps?

Life is what you make it.

About 2 1/2 days, on the A74 before it became a motorway (anyone remember those horrendous contra flows while they were converting it?) Was in the middle of nowhere in the snow. Annoying thing was I had traction, but couldn’t go anywhere because of abandoned cars. Had plenty of food & drink, as was start of a weeks tramping, so just rode it out.

3 days on the N7 in France, as the road was closed to HGVs due to snow

about this time last year i spent 3 hours stationary on m80.
then gave up had 9 hours rest on m80 around Glasgow because of the snow. set off again about 5 am crawling along still trucks parked up everyware and cars abandoned.
this day and age they can more less predict snow bad weather.there was warnings on radio . yet still highways scotland wernt prepared.
radio and news said theres going to be a big inquiry into what happened. and some minister said we have learnt lessons from this and can guarantee this will never happen again . if only I was a betting person

One day, back in the eighties, reloaded in Manchester, as I got to Birmingham heavy snow started to fall, no M42 or M40 then, Junction 4 down towards Sam’s at Five Ways, down to Warwick towards Banbury, but decided to use The Fosseway as it meant I could avoid Warmington Hill, along the The Fosseway turned left to go through Kineton, came out at the top of Warmington Hill, so far so good, all came to a stop just before the Shell garage on the right, poxy BMW sideways across the road.
Following morning I could see a JCB working away in the distance clearing the snow, didn’t move again till late afternoon by the time he had dug his way to me.

18 hours on the A14 near Milton.Was in the early 2000s.Snowed in.Alot of the car drivers were taken into The Tesco store there and looked after wich was good of them.Luckily i tramp and always have.So well stocked up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 hours on M25 Junction 7 slip due to my clutch bearing going :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been lucky so far, my biggest was only around 2 hrs stuck on the m5 exit j1, had an accident just before the roundabout that took forever to clear.

chester:
I’d say many posters on here have spent most of they’re working life stationary.
If all you’ve done is drive trucks all your life then maybe you’re stuck in a rut, perhaps?

Very meta.
Also WTF are you on about. :laughing:

chester:

^^^^^^^^^^
possibly you might think of making yourself a shirt?
always remember never post for at least 4 hours after the mogadon wears off. :unamused:

Longest pales by many stories standards, but from memory approx 4 hours on M1 when fuel pump deccided the motorway looked a bit mucky and “cleaned it”.

People still ask why i carry a bag of food, wet wipes and other supplies on night trunking. I remember when the M74 was shut for over 24 hours by a big accident and dont trust it not to happen again.

dieseldog999:
always remember never post for at least 4 hours after the mogadon wears off. :unamused:

:smiley:

Thing is, drivers are probably the people who are least stationary in their lives since we spend much of the day going places.

Oh and chester needs a wool jumper as its getting bitter out there and no weather to be bare chested! Be prepared as the Scouts say.

Not long by the standards here but…1 hour gridlocked in Central London. Beresford Place, near the Museums.
Coming up to a T junc with lights and, as the lights changed in our favour, the crossing traffic just carried on through on red. This blocked the yellow grid when they got stopped by the next red on their road.
My lights change to green and there’s nowhere to go.
My lights change to red and theirs to green and off it goes again, traffic moves, they ignore the red light, come through on red and get stopped in the yellow grid, and on and on.
Wasn’t helped by the, I think, timid driver at the front not getting his nose out when he could.

I know there’s alot of slow moving traffic in London but that’s the only time I’ve been gridlocked.

It often took three or four days to clear Customs in Russia and the truck would be parked in a secure compound for that time. I was free to leave so I would just go out for a walk, or if I was anywhere near a railway station I would catch the Elektrichka to the nearest town and go sightseeing.

Sometimes it would take longer, as long as a week on occasions and it could get boring after a few days although this could be alleviated with bottles of vodka from the kiosk at 60p a time and going on the ■■■■ at ten o’clock in the morning…

Had some very happy times with the truck just sitting around for days on end, wouldn’t want to do it now, there’s a time and a place for everything and I’m just in a different zone now.

Longest was probably the hour and a half I spent on the M6 last month. A vehicle had caught fire and theyd closed the road.
I wasnt too bothered but I was starving and when the traffic started moving I saw it was a hovis lorry. I had a trailer full of jam and I was gutted as if id known I could have had some toast

Seven week in Las Palmas Gran Canaria while trying to get a ship back to the UK and six weeks in Gibraltar while taking another one to Banjul in the Gambia, but only 37 hours in a truck waiting to clear customs at Frankfurt de Oder waiting to go through Poland …