M6 Variable speed limit

Joined the m6 from the m42 last Wednesday, the speed limit (variable) was 60 apart from one near j6 with the camera on, yep this was marked 50, visibility was poor with the rain, fine rain the kind that soaks you through. It didn’t catch me as it caught other in front and I slowed.
Next gantry was 60 and then it was national speed limit.

Seems a pretty sh!tty way of catching people without cause, traffic was the same and it was just one gantry.

Has anyone appealed and won one of these?

Must have been going some to trigger the camera.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If it was set at 50 how much over? I was on my limiter up until that point, sure they would have been too. Suppose they just didn’t see the change.

They do bonkers limits sometimes. Not sure if its the computer picking something up and dropping the limit or what, but the system isn’t fit for purpose yet unless its only controlled by a person.

Also be nice if the controllers would cancel the queue ahead and 40 limits when theres absolutely nothing on the road. I do wondser how many people are actually watching the cameras.

Said it many times to my mates on the phone when i pass these pointless and completely wrong matrix signs…“she’s painting her nails again” (the CCTV operator that is)

Noticed this on the M6 northbound between 10 and 10A last night as well. Exact same thing.
60 - 60 - 50 - 60 - NSL

Dirty hoors. Must be deliberate.

Telt:
Noticed this on the M6 northbound between 10 and 10A last night as well. Exact same thing.
60 - 60 - 50 - 60 - NSL

Dirty hoors. Must be deliberate.

+1…

Filthy dirty hoors.

I have just done a motorway awareness course, and we were told the speeds are controlled by sensors down to 50, any lower than that is controlled by humans

trevHCS:
They do bonkers limits sometimes. Not sure if its the computer picking something up and dropping the limit or what, but the system isn’t fit for purpose yet unless its only controlled by a person.

Also be nice if the controllers would cancel the queue ahead and 40 limits when theres absolutely nothing on the road. I do wondser how many people are actually watching the cameras.

They can also reduce speed limits to keep within acceptable levels of vehicle emissions. Quote from the highways agency.

“The technology behind smart motorways allows each stretch of motorway to actively manage traffic flow, with this technology operated by a regional traffic control centre near to the route. Traffic is carefully monitored at these control centres, whereby officials are able to activate or alter signs and speed limits on the smart motorways in an attempt to always keep traffic flowing freely, whilst remaining within current motorway boundaries to ensure continuation of environmental footprint minimisation”.

I am totally fed up with all this constant speed changes on smart motorways, only time I have had to slam on the brakes in the outside lanes, is when it has gone from 60 to 50 :imp: This should not happen in a modern country…Oh yeah, forgot, we are now 3rd world.

It just happens to be the one with the camera on!
Traffic was free flowing and less at the 50 section, watched it back today from my dashcam. The congestion behind me would have been due to the heavy breaking as a result of the sudden change and flashing camera :wink:

You do all know that the cameras don’t care about 56mph in a 50 limit, right? Just checking

The environmental one makes sense since they often have “air monitoring” around the northbound J28 M1 and also a 60 limit. Not sure why there’d be any dodgy air around there unless its because of the long hill.

56 in a 50 - I’m not going to be the one to test that against these signs. In theory most do have a 10% allowance, but that’s discretionary not a requirement and it seems the 70 limits set on these are very tight tolerance. I’ve also been doing 50mph (49 on the sat nav) and had someone pass me very slightly faster and they get flashed, so suspect they’ve reduced the 10% on many. No idea if it results in an NIP ultimately, but don’t want to find out.

The new cameras do seem to love flashing randomly, even when there’s no traffic about!

trevHCS:
The environmental one makes sense since they often have “air monitoring” around the northbound J28 M1 and also a 60 limit. Not sure why there’d be any dodgy air around there unless its because of the long hill.

56 in a 50 - I’m not going to be the one to test that against these signs. In theory most do have a 10% allowance, but that’s discretionary not a requirement and it seems the 70 limits set on these are very tight tolerance. I’ve also been doing 50mph (49 on the sat nav) and had someone pass me very slightly faster and they get flashed, so suspect they’ve reduced the 10% on many. No idea if it results in an NIP ultimately, but don’t want to find out.

Same here, I just trundle along at 50 in lane 1 and watch the antics of the pallet network bods (amongst others) in lane 2 (and sometimes 3!) as they sit 6’ off the bumper of the small hatchback who has the temerity to observe the posted limit.