Truck parking shortage

It came up on a local trucking group , a resident in Canterbury has asked the city council to look into using one of the city park and ride sites for overnight truck parking .
Like the vast majority of park and ride sites it is unused overnight. They usually are on the outskirts of towns and cities and are located next to major roads .
The downside is the times of availability as they are generally not free from cars until 7pm and would need to be vacated by 7am.
Could this sort of scheme help with the truck parking shortage .
I have done a lot of research into local authority parking areas for trucks in the UK and although there are over 70 sites in the UK there are a lot of areas in the country that don’t have any local authorities parking areas .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

But would the residents of Canterbury want to experience the reek of sour urine every time they parked their cars to go shopping?

It’s a great…

Idea but, there will be damage, ripped up tarmac, broken kerbstones and god only knows what left in bags or worse left on the floor. It’ll become a magnet for the local hookers and low-lifes to hang around. Within months the local residents (who never wanted us there in the first place) will want us all out again. I wish I could be more positive but I know just by looking out of my window as I drive up the A1 what a mess we leave.

We need dedicated, well designed parking that has a small level of security and some reasonably priced facilities designed for drivers who are out all week. It’ll have to be paid for by the firms, they’re happy to cough up £20/30 every night to Roadchef/Welcome Break/Moto.

So, to sum up, nothing will change.

most of the park and ride sites ground works are not built too withstand the weight of heavy trucks to be sat on for 11 hours is what the answer would be, any way would you want to park your car there when it stinks of ■■■■ and ■■■■ because even though there would be toilets within 200 yards its a guarantee that the knuckle dragging brigade would just stand at side of there door and ■■■■ instead of going too the toilet

Harry Monk:
But would the residents of Canterbury want to experience the reek of sour urine every time they parked their cars to go shopping?

The area is already suffering from similar problems on the nearby retail and industrial estates .

There used to be some towns where you could park over night on the town centre council car parks, but you had facilities near by, public toilets and various food outlets within walking distance, I don’t think this would be available on an out of town parking area, although it’s nice to see at least some member of the general public are thinking about solutions to the problem.
Personally I think a change in planning law is required, that means any application for distribution centres and industrial estates must include a parking area for Lorries and have at least the basic facilities.

muckles:
Personally I think a change in planning law is required, that means any application for distribution centres and industrial estates must include a parking area for Lorries and have at least the basic facilities.

No, the answer is to take two pallet spaces out of the trailer and add two pallet spaces to the tractor unit so that a toilet and shower can be fitted, just as I have on my boat (in fact my wet room takes up just over one pallet space) but then we all know this is never going to happen.

Harry Monk:

muckles:

No, the answer is to take two pallet spaces out of the trailer and add two pallet spaces to the tractor unit so that a toilet and shower can be fitted, just as I have on my boat (in fact my wet room takes up just over one pallet space) but then we all know this is never going to happen.

considering how some drivers leave thier trucks, I hate to take over one that has a shower and toilet.

It has always amazed me how so many local authority facilities are under used .
Car parks are one area .
The facilities at many schools are unused for up to 60% of the time .
Many council buildings have vast areas that could be used far more for other uses with very little effort .
My research did find some local authorities that are reputed to be anti vehicles but actually have parking facilities within their control .

muckles:
There used to be some towns where you could park over night on the town centre council car parks, but you had facilities near by, public toilets and various food outlets within walking distance, I don’t think this would be available on an out of town parking area, although it’s nice to see at least some member of the general public are thinking about solutions to the problem.

There was once truck parks in MOST major towns…including Canterbury, I stayed there numerous times in the 80s, but those were the days before we were looked upon publicly as one category down the food chain below our travelling friends. :unamused:
In fact by law councils have to provide, or at least allow, areas for them to stay in, but not for us eh?.., which proves we actually ARE socially inferior to those lot. :bulb:

Things should ease up in Kent and Essex by Brexit Day, 29th March - but the rest of the country will probably see less layby spaces, because there will be more “middle of Britain” trucking going on…

Once again, I draw everyone’s attention to the proliferation of transport hubs being built all around the midlands, presumably in preparation for Brexit with no deal… :smiley:

muckles:

You get a sensible workable idea :astonished:

Harry Monk:

Then some muppet comes along and foooks it up :neutral_face: