IRHA President on Brexit

Some of you may find this an interesting listen (and others may well be sick of Brexit). It’s a 40 odd minute podcast of Eamonn Dunphy in conversation with the president of the Irish RHA on the implications of a no deal Brexit for Ireland and also the UK with reference to the movement of goods by road and ferry.

I don’t personally agree with everything she has to say, particularly on rerunning the referendum, but she is talking from a position of actual knowledge of the industry, which elevates it beyond 99% of the pish politicians and columnists are spouting all day every day on the BBC.

Hopefully the link below works. If not you can copy and paste it into a URL bar.

player.fm/series/the-stand-with … eparations

When you compare this country to Trump’s America right now - it is difficult to see much really “getting done” over here in blighty - but the preparations for Brexit do seem to be well under way now.

Depots going up all over the place…

Cross your fingers, and have some faith that Brexit WILL be delivered by March 29th as promised, and it WILL be the binary so-called “No Deal” Brexit, simply because you cannot have “half-on electricity”.

It is either lethal mains voltage - or it is harmlessly switched off.

Meanwhile, most of parliament is banging on about 2nd referendums, ruling out “no deal” (ruling out Brexit itself…) and “not engaging with the PM” to at least get some crumbs from under the banquet table now being set up.

I don’t think we’re ever going to get the Remainer contigent on board - until Brexit is done, and the sky didnt fall on our heads - not even our Remainer’s heads - after all.

The Irish minister for transport is not an elected member of our government!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:

Hear Hear

Telt:
Some of you may find this an interesting listen (and others may well be sick of Brexit). It’s a 40 odd minute podcast of Eamonn Dunphy in conversation with the president of the Irish RHA on the implications of a no deal Brexit for Ireland and also the UK with reference to the movement of goods by road and ferry.

I don’t personally agree with everything she has to say, particularly on rerunning the referendum, but she is talking from a position of actual knowledge of the industry, which elevates it beyond 99% of the pish politicians and columnists are spouting all day every day on the BBC.

Hopefully the link below works. If not you can copy and paste it into a URL bar.

player.fm/series/the-stand-with … eparations

Ah, the Dunph! Used to love him on Today FM, especially the Gift Grub sketches, some comedy gold!

Wheel Nut:

Not a UK MP?
Well, that’s a good start in the credibility stakes.
:smiley:

Edit
Listened to it now. Sensible questions and sensible answers.

Personally I think the Irish border question more difficult to solve because they went in so hard in the first place they have effectively brought a no deal and a hard border upon themselves, well done mr vradka I think you have stepped in your own trap of your own making. I am not sure the big talk on the European stage is going to help you when your surrounded by no deal uk borders when it comes to negotiating with the uk, given your rigid stance in partnership with barnier, verhofstadt and friends against your closest sea ports of disembarking

If the ECMT permits are restricted in the same manner for the Irish, a lot of trucks are not going to have anywhere to go other than the ROI.

As with others I’m fed up of hearing about it, but looking at the bigger picture it will probably will turn the port areas in boom areas in need of lots more drivers to haul containers inland in the UK.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46961982

It is “obvious” there will be a hard border in Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the European Commission’s chief spokesman has said.

The UK has commited to not implementing a hard border.
I assumed the EU did as well until this article.
I wonder if the eu will have to balls to do it though because it wont make them look good. Especially since the ROI are completely opposed to it. :laughing:
So we could well have a situation in which Brussels imposes a border in Ireland while ROI and NI completely oppose it. please do this Europe im sure it will work and go down well.

Varadkar is happy to play the hard man for the EU at the moment as it is a distraction from the problems he is facing domestically chances are that come the next Irish election he will be voted out so will not be dealing with the consequences of his actions. Once the UK has left then the federalisation of Europe will speed up and some of the smaller countries will be the ones to suffer most with Ireland’s 10% corporation tax rate being right up there on the hit list

It is the EU that wants a hard border between any member state and any post-Brexit part of the UK, which means a solid border between Northern and Southern Ireland on the EU’s insistance.

All Britain has to do is NOTHING about the border other than setting up some APNR infrastructure for later.

I’d like to see the EU manage to put up a hard border - when they cannot even easily GET to that border!

…I reckon they’ll have as much luck building such a thing as Trump is having building his wall… :bulb: