Load security....question?

Hello,
So today started with a very big argument between me and the office staff at a company called ***.
They had a curtainside trailer loaded with bags of clothing and some boxes in the back…total weight of the load around 10-12 tonnes.
The first thing they said was not to open the doors in the back as some boxes might fall and I will have to load them back myself…so they put a seal there…
Second thing …the curtain wasn’t a load bearing one and it was sticking all over the place in a very irregular shape.
I totally refused to take it anywhere…photos attached.
Any opinions ?

Ask if it was strapped before the curtains were shut and sealed.
If no then throw some ratchet straps over the roof or refuse to take it.
Telling you not to open the doors or something might fall out is poor.
That something should be secured so it doesn’t fall out on you when you open the doors!!!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I think the DVSA would say it should be taken in a box. But even on a normal curtain it’s not going anywhere. If you want a definitive answer then email DVSA with the photos and ask them. It might take 4 weeks or so to get a reply but I’ve asked them a question before and they did respond. You don’t have to mention your company and the company name isn’t on the photos.

at the end of the day the buck stops with you, you are the one in charge of the load and vehicle once you get on the road so if your not comfortable with it then inform the office whom should sort it out.
a way around it may be to throw straps over the outside of the trailer down its length giving a bit more strength but i would not think it would stop an insecure load ticket if you were stopped and asked too open the curtains

Would’ve also refused. Straps over the roof will bugger the roof up, those things aren’t strong and even if it bears the tension of the straps, if the load pulls the straps outwards it’s going to pull the roof down with it. They as good as told you it was insecure.

Nothing wrong with using it like a chipliner for clothes - assuming they’re not baled into 500kg bales and just loose bagged I’ve never heard of any one being killed by clothes falling on them.

I’d take it but then I’d go to court and argue it if the DVSA tried to suggest it isn’t secure.

Own Account Driver:
I’d take it but then I’d go to court and argue it if the DVSA tried to suggest it isn’t secure.

Rightly or wrongly, you would lose & be out of pocket.

The courts would just point to the textbook which essentially says everything should be strapped.

You could feel behind the side chassis rail for the internal strap clasps to see if they’ve been put in place by the loaders. They fit alongside where the curtain strap clasps usually are (on a conventional curtain). That’s no guarantee they’re taught, though.
I concur with an earlier poster. If you’re not happy don’t go. After day one you’re going to know how they load things. Assuming you get through it. As an agency driver, I can quickly drop that job and move on.

If someone told me not to open the doors as it might fall out it wouldn’t move and I would be on my way home

kcrussell25:
If someone told me not to open the doors as it might fall out it wouldn’t move and I would be on my way home

That was my first thought too. And yes I work as an agency driver for about 2 years now.
Also for the other guys, there were no internal straps in place…the trailer is fitted with them but the loaders coudn’t be bothered.
Anyway…some polish guy took it on the road without any questions.
Cowboys

rob22888:

Own Account Driver:

The courts would just point to the textbook which essentially says everything should be strapped.

No, I know a haulier who’s been to court three times for insecure loads and the Police have lost every time. You can open the roof of a curtainsider and fill the trailer with polystryrene chips and a moron going by the DVSA catch all guide would probably give it a fixed penalty but there’s zero chance a court would agree the load is not secure.

20160624_141614.jpg
Used silage wrap.
Dripping in cow ■■■■…and no way I’m coming into close contact.
Fasten up,and burn.

Bulging curtains = increased chance of a tug.

A driver was fined recently for not strapping insulation boards ( it’s on the forum somewhere.)
Also if you can’t check the load then don’t take it out as your in a curtainsider.

Own Account Driver:

rob22888:

Own Account Driver:

No, I know a haulier who’s been to court three times for insecure loads and the Police have lost every time. You can open the roof of a curtainsider and fill the trailer with polystryrene chips and a moron going by the DVSA catch all guide would probably give it a fixed penalty but there’s zero chance a court would agree the load is not secure.

Either way I wouldn’t want the hassle a a PAYE Driver I would just refuse to take the load.

adam277:

Own Account Driver:

rob22888:

Own Account Driver:

Either way I wouldn’t want the hassle a a PAYE Driver I would just refuse to take the load.

This.

Even if you win its a day off work to attend. I work nights so would probably need 2 shifts off. Its not worth the hassle. When they say don’t open the door it will fall out they have told me its insecure and so I’m off home.

It’s quite an amusing idea actually with what could potentially happen.

Your at a DVSA checkpoint as you’ve been pulled in.

Officer: “right driver please could you open your back door for us as we want to check your load security”

Driver: “no I can’t open the door sorry”

Officer: “why’s that then driver?”

Driver: “because if I do then the load will fall out” :laughing:

DickyNick:
I think the DVSA would say it should be taken in a box. But even on a normal curtain it’s not going anywhere. If you want a definitive answer then email DVSA with the photos and ask them. It might take 4 weeks or so to get a reply but I’ve asked them a question before and they did respond. You don’t have to mention your company and the company name isn’t on the photos.

Oh yes it is :exclamation: :wink:

davepenn54:

DickyNick:

Oh yes it is :exclamation: :wink:

RPL?

Oh well, ■■■■ em. Ask anyway and send the photos. That’s what I’d do.

Apart from DVSA bending you over without lube the HSE would join in on the party .
Those who have the attitude that it’s only clothing falling on you are probably the same as those that think the waves at the seaside can’t hurt you or that soft sand feels nice and what could possibly go wrong .
Your not talking about a hamper full of washing falling over but 12 t . The same weight a rigid truck pushing you over then crushing or smothering you .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk