Lorry driver jailed

Lorry driver jailed.

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … 0&ito=1490

Lets hope he never gets behind the wheel again

Who kicks off about someone you just killed ruining your first day back at work.

It seems some still like to try and blame others even when they are completely guilty. :unamused:

I blame the planners back at depot

So the sympathy sticks didn’t work with the jury ?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I get the feeling that this old chap in the Q3 is not totally blameless in this…

In life 9 seconds is a tiny amount of time. When your behind the wheel of a loaded truck with the computer controlling your speed, 9 seconds is huge amount of time to have not been paying attention for. What really baffles me is how it still took 3 seconds to apply the brakes after hitting something? How does that even happen. Actually think to yourself smash sound…NOW…and then count 3 seconds. That’s a long time.

DickyNick:
In life 9 seconds is a tiny amount of time. When your behind the wheel of a loaded truck with the computer controlling your speed, 9 seconds is huge amount of time to have not been paying attention for. What really baffles me is how it still took 3 seconds to apply the brakes after hitting something? How does that even happen. Actually think to yourself smash sound…NOW…and then count 3 seconds. That’s a long time.

That’s just reaction time in action. At the smash sound, unlike you assessing this situation, the driver has no situational awareness.

He’s got to asses the situation, orient himself within it, decide what action to take then take it - 3 seconds isn’t too bad to go through those steps.

He failed badly…

People lost their lives because of his inaction.

But and I’m in no way defending him, he’s probably guilty of falling asleep with his eyes open. After two or three hours of mind numbing boredom at 52mph, his brain has just switched off and before he even knew what had happened, he’s into the back of the car.

I’ve seen it when other vehicles have failed to see stationary traffic right in front of them in clear conditions followed by a last second slam on.

yourhavingalarf:
He failed badly…

People lost their lives because of his inaction.

But and I’m in no way defending him, he’s probably guilty of falling asleep with his eyes open. After two or three hours of mind numbing boredom at 52mph, his brain has just switched off and before he even knew what had happened, he’s into the back of the car.

I’ve seen it when other vehicles have failed to see stationary traffic right in front of them in clear conditions followed by a last second slam on.

You aint read the report have you :unamused:
It happened at junction 9 M3 northbound so how did he manage to travel 3 hours at 52mph :question:

blue estate:
You aint read the report have you :unamused:
It happened at junction 9 M3 northbound so how did he manage to travel 3 hours at 52mph :question:

I don’t know…

I’m not his planner. I’m suggesting he’s driven for a long period of time and fallen asleep with his eyes open.

You aint read the bit in my first post that said ‘I’m in no way defending him’. :unamused:

I’m assuming this guy fell asleep rightly or wrongly.
However, if every time like this, where a severe high profile ■■■■ up situation got to court, in the public arena,…If the total amount of hours the driver had worked in the previous two weeks were highlighted and brought to the attention of the public, and hammered home to them, only then maybe the ridiculous amount of hours we work (that we are not only allowed, but in a lot of cases expected to work) would maybe be cut and brought into line with the 21st Century. :bulb:

15 hour days, 10 hour drives, 9 hour rests, 70+ hours working weeks…Health and Safety my ■■■■■■ arse !! :smiling_imp:

I was also thinking the Q3 driver was not totally blameless ,But in any case RIP .And keep em peeled chaps …

The thread title makes you think don’t it. :bulb: …ok not specifically this case, but…
A moment’s carelessness, a moment not thinking, not concentrating you clean somebody up and you end up doing a stretch in Durham on a manslaughter charge.
Nobody, not even the one or two self righteous on here who come over all ‘…‘You’re all crap drivers except me’’ :unamused: , can 100% concentrate 100% of the time for your daily 9 hours drive, it’s humanly impossible.
So something happens and you’re in deep ■■■■…and for what? 10, 11 quid an hour?
Is it really worth it?

Only today I was coming up the A39 Bude to Barnstaple road, not the best of A roads in parts.
I have a small bin under the passenger seat, for rubbish, which turned over on a corner, and a bottle ended up under my feet, I (maybe stupidly :unamused: ) leaned forward to pick it up with my chin on the wheel, and I got my nearside wheels in the grass verge :unamused:
I managed to get it out, but I ended up snaking over to the other side of the road, I managed to correct it, but if anything had been coming towards me, it would maybe have been me on here as a thread subject, with an oncoming car maybe sat under my unit. :unamused: …and entirely my fault.
You just never know the minute :bulb:

Not sure what to make of it. He sounds likes a right blustering ■■■■■■■■ incapable of taking personal responsibility for anything but it looks like the driver was from dorset and driving a friend home so add in an Audi as well and a scenario of a late cut in when he realised he needed to take that lane to exit isn’t outside the realms of possibility.

A campaign to educate drivers, for when they’re joining a queue of traffic, to leave a safety gap to pull forward and check mirrors and make sure the vehicle behind is slowing and applying hazard lights would be worthwhile particularly as queues of slow moving/stationary traffic extending from slip roads to motorway live lanes is getting increasingly common due to the country’s creaking infrastructure then producing the dangerous combination of motorway speed traffic being in lanes immediately adjacent to stationary traffic. There’s not many hard shoulders left to commandeer as extra lanes now.

slowlane:

DickyNick:

That’s just reaction time in action. At the smash sound, unlike you assessing this situation, the driver has no situational awareness.

He’s got to asses the situation, orient himself within it, decide what action to take then take it - 3 seconds isn’t too bad to go through those steps.

Maybe although the Highway Code states thinking time is 0.67 seconds, yet in this study relating to another incident they concluded it was more like 1.5 seconds:

They concluded that it takes much longer than the Highway Code estimates for drivers to see, recognise and react to an emergency. While the official thinking time is 0.67 seconds, TRL concluded that the human brain actually takes around 1.5 seconds.

3 seconds is still double that. After either 0.67 or 1.5 seconds that’s when thought should be done and then stamping on the brake pedal. The rest of the time is then vehicle stopping distance and conditions. This driver didn’t do that until 3 seconds after impact.

So, quite possibly asleep. 1.5 seconds thinking time would be for a person totally awake and paying attention.

I’m amazed there’s people in here apportioning even a small amount of blame on the Audi driver.

The report says there was dashcam footage of the whole incident from a number of vehicles, along with numerous witnesses and a police investigation that said the Audi was travelling at 11mph - none of any of that points to the Audi driver.

Yet the truck driver didn’t take any avoiding action and braked three seconds AFTER IMPACT. So take the Audi out of the way and what would happen? The jailed driver wouldve slammed into the back of the lorry instead, because he’s still flat out and hasntbseen the entire queue of slow traffic.

The way he then after afterwards… Well…

But yeah, some fault sits with the Audi driver just for being there :unamused:

robroy:
I’m assuming this guy fell asleep rightly or wrongly.
However, if every time like this, where a severe high profile ■■■■ up situation got to court, in the public arena,…If the total amount of hours the driver had worked in the previous two weeks were highlighted and brought to the attention of the public, and hammered home to them, only then maybe the ridiculous amount of hours we work (that we are not only allowed, but in a lot of cases expected to work) would maybe be cut and brought into line with the 21st Century. :bulb:

15 hour days, 10 hour drives, 9 hour rests, 70+ hours working weeks…Health and Safety my [zb] arse !! :smiling_imp:

It was his first day back after a holiday so as valid as your point is “in general” I can’t see it being relevant here. Even allowing for the Daily Mail reporting I see absolutely nothing that would mitigate this steering wheel attendants actions/inactions. I save my sympathy for the other people injured and affected.

toonsy:
I’m amazed there’s people in here apportioning even a small amount of blame on the Audi driver.

The report says there was dashcam footage of the whole incident from a number of vehicles, along with numerous witnesses and a police investigation that said the Audi was travelling at 11mph - none of any of that points to the Audi driver.

Yet the truck driver didn’t take any avoiding action and braked three seconds AFTER IMPACT. So take the Audi out of the way and what would happen? The jailed driver wouldve slammed into the back of the lorry instead, because he’s still flat out and hasntbseen the entire queue of slow traffic.

The way he then after afterwards… Well…

But yeah, some fault sits with the Audi driver just for being there :unamused:

Good post.

Wiretwister:
It was his first day back after a holiday so as valid as your point is “in general” I can’t see it being relevant here.

Tiredness after a holiday?
I don`t think it can be written off as irrelevant at all.
First day back may be the first early start after two weeks of late nights and late rising?
Having time off is never a guarantee of having rest, at any time.

eagerbeaver:
I get the feeling that this old chap in the Q3 is not totally blameless in this…

The prosecutor says that the defendant pulled out in front of the victim causing him to brake and then somehow ploughed into the back of the victim while the victim was supposedly at that point running ahead at 11 mph ?.While seeming to ignore the comments that the victim had ‘cut in’ on the truck.Possibly removing its seperation distance ?.

In which case the question has to be what happened between the victim overtaking and being obstructed by and while obviously running faster than the truck at that point and then being in front of the truck running at 11 mph.As for the defendandt’s idiotic comments people can say strange things without thinking when in shock.