XPO nights, Terrible pay

HGV Class 1 (C+E) Driver (Nights)
XPO Logistics - Wetherby
£9.98 an hour
Are you a Class 1 Driver looking for a Monday to Friday trunking role with the security of guaranteed full-time hours and a permanent contract?

We’re looking for a full-time, permanent Class 1 HGV Driver to join us at our site in Wetherby. You’ll be working 55 guaranteed hours per week on the Monday to Friday night shift, starting at 17:00.
We’re looking to offer the competitive hourly rate of £9.98 per hour, increasing to £14.98 after 55 hours. You’ll also receive holiday pay, access to a variety of high street discounts, as well as childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme, a workplace pension and many other perks.

You can cycle to…

Work. What more do you want!?

10 h 22 min (122 miles)
via National Cycle Route 64

Shame, it’s a bit far for me :cry:

If they get enough applicants of the quality they need then it’s fine. If they don’t it’s to low.

That’s the brutal truth. The area is hardly noted for high pay from the “logistics” companies.

Overtime rate kicks in after 55 hours? are they taking the ■■■■ :open_mouth:
I hope they attract the very people they deserve.

Juddian:

According to my (sometimes inaccurate) arithmetic and based on the old 40 hour week plus overtime at T 1/2, and night rate at T 1/3 anyway it’s more like £6.58 an hour…

axletramp:

Juddian:

According to my (sometimes inaccurate) arithmetic and based on the old 40 hour week plus overtime at T 1/2, and night rate at T 1/3 anyway it’s more like £6.58 an hour…

Yes (not as my maths is any better :blush: ), i’m hoping there’s a mistake or two in the OP, if not that’s some of the most scandalous night/OT rates i’ve heard of, and a little surprised knowing the company concerned, who i thought were one of the better payers among the logistics giants.

We all know its a poor rate of pay, but where do you all think it should be ■■

SHYTOT:

Where it used to be.

Basic was for between 6am to 6pm based on an 8 hour day.
Overtime calculated on a daily basis, after 8 hours (or after 9 if paid all the way through, not after 45 hours total and definately not after 55 bloody hours :unamused:
Night rate was +1/4 or 1/3rd paid for all hours worked between 6pm and 6am (night workers often got paid night rate right up until they finished next day).
Overtime was whatever the above + 1/2 again.
Weekends were at + 1/2 up to Sat dinner time when x2 took over, with night and OT rates applicable.
At Kwik Save (Wincanton), even if you were rota’d to work a Sat or Sun as part of your basic week, the rates were still at the proper Sat/Sun rates plus all shift allowances.

And yes some jobs still pay these rates, but invariably with the rota shift patterns involved these are now often salaried but include all of the above, it will come as no surprise that it’s generally unionised jobs where such agreements still stand.

The more i think about it, the more i think there’s a mistake in the OP in this case.

The tide is turning:

rha.uk.net/news/press-relea … -inflation

and about time.

who knows, if they put the money up, the ‘driver shortage’ may cure itself.

The RHA is challenging the driver shortage head-on and is working tirelessly to come up with solutions that will make the role of a commercial vehicle driver more desirable.

This has to be an early contender for winner of talking crap 2019 never cared about drivers before so hardly going to start now

So maybe you get 5 hrs a week on the premium rate, there should also be a premium of at least 25% for nights.

Any decent employer who wants to recruit and retain good drivers would give you 40-45 hrs contracted the overtime thereafter I really don’t understand these big companies, they tender for work with such small profit margins then think they are going to get good people for that money, the eventual cost of damage and the very real possibility that the s*** flinging monkey that rate will attract is going to upset the client no end.

The reality are figures on a spreadsheet with little regard given to anything else.

Low pay is not limited to just the haulage industry. Lots of other places don’t pay the rates or o/t etc that they did. There is an over supply of labour so nothing is going to change in the near future. Mates of mine in other industries now do not bother doing o/t as it’s not worth it and are just marking time waiting to retire.

Fantastic rates ,In April the new minimum wage comes into effect ,£8.20 .
Say no more …

Juddian:

Not only that mate, but assuming they take 45 mins off you for break, the o/t only comes in after 58.75 hours :open_mouth: :unamused:

Let’s face it, who only want’s to do DOUBLE the hours that normal folk do before you get a decent rate ffs…

mike68:
I really don’t understand these big companies, they tender for work with such small profit margins .

This isn’t an excuse but I could say:

I really don’t understand these drivers they accept work for such little pay.

A customer to a business is an employer. There’s no real difference. Firms know what price a customer is looking for roughly speaking, so like a driver, they take what they can get to keep going.

Mickey mouse:
cycle to work scheme

Needed with that “competitive hourly rate”.

eagerbeaver:

Juddian:

Not only that mate, but assuming they take 45 mins off you for break, the o/t only comes in after 58.75 hours :open_mouth: :unamused:

Let’s face it, who only want’s to do DOUBLE the hours that normal folk do before you get a decent rate ffs…

Blame the profit seeking accountants for that ,Most firms are doing this now ,You lose the OT in the break ,Surely you’d think that is ilegal ,But nope it is not … sad times …

SHYTOT:

I’m on £12 an hour PAYE on day work (0600 starts) and I think of that as being a fair rate but not exceptional.

Harry Monk:

SHYTOT:

I’m on £12 an hour PAYE on day work (0600 starts) and I think of that as being a fair rate but not exceptional.

Agency ? That is good on paye
Most in Cov are now £10.50-£ 11 :confused: