Disability parking at RDCs

I’m 62 this year and retired from lorry driving 4 years ago due to being disabled…I worked over 28 years delivering to supermarkets. My hubby is younger than me but just got his blue parking badge ,he’s a long term lorry driver too.
Some RDCS don’t believe you can be disabled yet still drive and unload your trailer? It’s the gradients ,stairs.and the distances of walking that’s the issue.Have any of you experienced anything as you age and get disabled …

Been disabled since my early 20s with a spinal injury before I even started driving lorries. Never found it a problem to be honest, never been asked and only once had to say something when I was tipping at Safeway and they wanted me to restack the load onto different pallets as some of those I had brought were mixed product.

Unless you’re telling them you are I don’t know how they’d know unless it was something obvious like a missing leg/arm etc.

So, he can pull pallets down and up the trailer, but not walk to the well appointed drivers waiting area…

Navajo50:
I’m 62 this year and retired from lorry driving 4 years ago due to being disabled…I worked over 28 years delivering to supermarkets. My hubby is younger than me but just got his blue parking badge ,he’s a long term lorry driver too.
Some RDCS don’t believe you can be disabled yet still drive and unload your trailer? It’s the gradients ,stairs.and the distances of walking that’s the issue.Have any of you experienced anything as you age and get disabled …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheelnuts post says it all really. Although I no longer drive for a living I’m still capable of moving and lifting reasonably heavy items without problems, however a weakness in my legs makes it a struggle to walk any distance especially if even a slight incline is involved which living on a 1 in 5 hill and in a three storey house doesn’t help! I can’t get a Blue Badge, and I feel that I could still drive and assist in loading a truck but walking any distance uphill wouldn’t be easy, however it wouldn’t be immediately visible to an ‘outsider’ that I have a problem so they may see it as just an excuse?

Pete.