Severn Trent tanker job

Well, I’ve been looking around for something more permanent lately. Severn Trent are advertising for Network Response Technicians (Clean Water).

£28k salary + £4k shift allowance so well paid and it’s local to me. 4 on 4 off shift pattern and it’s a Class 2 job.

Anyone able to give any insight?

I’m keen to try as much non-curtainsider work as possible. Been working for Biffa through agency and really enjoy it but doesn’t look like there’s much opportunity of a full time job right now as company I’m working for are in middle of acquisition by Biffa with lots of changes going on.

I’d love to have a stable driving job on around £30k and with a pension etc. It seems that as soon as I start to settle somewhere I’m off to work for another company.

Do Severn Trent generally take on guys with no water/tanker experience or am I likely to be facing stiff competition?

35 years ago I had a lad come to work in the garage on an Employment Training scheme. The deal was that he had to have his Class 1 within 12 months. The “lad” passed after 9 months, went to work for Severn Trent driving a tanker and is there to this day.

So it looks like a fair prospect to me.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Should have kept quiet. There’ll have been about 5,000 applications by now. :slight_smile:

I’ve subbied to Dwr Cymru (Welsh Water) on the water tankers, it is not a walk in and drive job as far as inexperience goes, driving a baffleless tanker half full (or empty depending on your outlook to life) of water is no joke if you don’t know what your doing, also all Dwr Cymru trucks are Manual DAFs so if you’re not proficient with a fully loaded 44 tonne vehicle with a manual gearbox in remote hilly windy back lanes you might again want to re-think.

other than that it is ■■■■ easy work as you’ll spend a good part of your shift sitting, sleeping, interneting and picking your nose whilst an engineer hooks you up to the mains feed to keep the supply going for the residents cuppa’s whilst it’s disconnected for repairs or whatever further up the line, when they are done or you are empty (depending on how many residents the main your feeding supplies) you are disconnected and you return to base.

Obviously Severn Trent may operate differently to Dwr Cymru but that’s what it was like for me, I should also point out that I was nights and subbed to them and not directly employed by Dwr Cymru and I’ve heard that they prefer to employer an engineer (or whatever they call pipe laying/fixing road workers these days) with a licence rather than employ just a driver.