Farm Collection (milk tankers)

Hi everyone…apoligies if iv put this post in the wrong forum/topic section.
Im looking some information and a heads up on what to expect on class 1 farm milk collection? Iv got a job offer for a big northern irish firm and would like to know the pros and cons of the driving side?
And is it a job that could work out for someone with not alot of class 1 experience? Iv mainly drove 8 wheeler tippers and 6 wheeler oil tankers. Im used to driving the oil tankers on narrow roads/lanes and on snow and ice etc. Iv a small bit of experience driving class 1 fridge lorries from factory to factory, but nothing really worth talking about. Basically my question is, based on my experience, would it be a job i could grasp and succeed in? The company that have offered me a job run 3 axle trailers with a steer axle and shorter 2 axle trailers which i think also have a steer axle.
Do the steer axles make a big difference? And is there much more tail swing from the steer axle?
Thanks guys, all tips, suggestions and answers much appreciated[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Only drove a steer axle trailer about 20 times, found it alright for reversing, no big issues

Hi.
I have a rear steer trailer with positive steering mechanism (linked to fifth wheel) and find it to be excellent. You can get into places you would not believe. Most of the ones i see dont have long rear overhangs so tail swing is not a huge problem, especially with tankers. There are other types of rear steer systems and some (self tracking) are not so good in tight corners when it comes to reversing. Believe me, if you have been going into tight bits with eight wheelers, this will be a cake walk.

There is nothing to be afraid of with them. Sounds like a decent job with a bit of a challenge about it.

I deliver feed to farms with rear steer trailers. They are a doddle to reverse, the tandems can do amazingly tight turns. I think there is less tail swing with rear steer. Ýou will be alright on farms most have plenty of space, but the tight ones should be planned on short trailers or rigid. Most dairy farms are kept fairly clean also.

The rear steers take about 10 mins to get used to but are diary good.
Less overhang but a lot more responsive so smaller movement with steering wheel.
You just need to be careful when straightening up though particularly on bay reversing as if your rear wheels are not straight and you pull forward to straighten up you might damage what ever is next to you and cause udder chaos.

Don’t forget that milk is a toxic substance to wildlife. So the steaks are high.

You could definitely have easier class 1 jobs with not much experience but you will learn very quickly doing this and after a few weeks you’ll be able to put a 40 footer anywhere.

Thanks for the info fellas…iv heard steer axle milk tankers can spin round in the tightest of spots…just cant imagine it until i see it lol
Some of the farms i be at in oil tankers, i cant picture an artic tanker getting in without difficulty, but according to the farmer they get in and out with plenty of room to spare because of the steer axle. Maby its a shorter wheel base on milk tanker trailers with rear steer also? Not sure.
Just a bit daunting when its all new to me…iv about a week to decide so il have a think over it and theres a good chance il take a go at it. Thanks guys. [emoji106]

Strathroy■■?
Most work 6on 2off think about home so your 6on over Xmas week etc tough luck and plenty weekend working too!!!

Dale farm.
Yeah there is alot of working the holidays. Even know its alot of hours, i might try it, even if its only for 8 months.

I don’t do milk but I deliver liquid animal feed to farms in a tanker.
my advice is do not rely on your sat nav get a good map book, ordnance survey maps are best.
we get random farms nationally but on milk your more likely to get a route you can learn.
Keep a good supply of warm clothes and winter gear plus a shovel.
farmers like most people can be very helpful or not bother with you at all.
Get some wellies, farms literally are ■■■■■■■■■ by their very nature.
do not be afraid to call the farmer if your stuck in snow or a difficult situation or to ask the best way to the farm, keep it slow on the narrow lanes.
I love the farm work as its very interesting and I don’t have rear steer lol.
if you’ve never driven a tanker before, respect that 28t of liquid rolling around behind you, it can easily tip you over and makes emergency braking very bum twitching.
have fun.

Drift:
I don’t do milk but I deliver liquid animal feed to farms in a tanker.
my advice is do not rely on your sat nav get a good map book, ordnance survey maps are best.
we get random farms nationally but on milk your more likely to get a route you can learn.
Keep a good supply of warm clothes and winter gear plus a shovel.
farmers like most people can be very helpful or not bother with you at all.
Get some wellies, farms literally are [zb] by their very nature.
do not be afraid to call the farmer if your stuck in snow or a difficult situation or to ask the best way to the farm, keep it slow on the narrow lanes.
I love the farm work as its very interesting and I don’t have rear steer lol.
if you’ve never driven a tanker before, respect that 28t of liquid rolling around behind you, it can easily tip you over and makes emergency braking very bum twitching.
have fun.

What he said. Collection point for milk is inevitably much easier than the delivery point for feed. Don’t turn up too early, or too late; and if you don’t like dogs, or seeing things like dead cows, don’t take the job! Further to the dog thing; ignore them and they’ll ignore you, throw a stick for them and you’ve got a bloody job for life. :smiley:

Thanks for all the advice guys. Iv told them im taking the job. Start next month.
Got a little drive out in one the other day with a 3 axle steered trailer and have to say it follows you quite well, and it reversed quite nicley onto a bay.
Looking forward to giving it a crack. If it doesnt work out, it dosent work out. But might aswell try[emoji16]

What depot are you going to be working out of ? You never know who you might see floating around if your in Pennybridge , Dromona or Dunman :wink: :wink:

beefy4605:
What depot are you going to be working out of ? You never know who you might see floating around if your in Pennybridge , Dromona or Dunman :wink: :wink:

I think Dunman, but not entirely sure yet