London Direct Vision

(Mods…please delete or whatever if not appropriate.)

As some of you know, TfL is planning to introduce vision standards which would see most conventional trucks banned from the streets of London, unless fitted with a variety of bells and whistles. Dustcart chassis will be used instead (TfL hopes).

As usual, the voices of those who will actually have to drive the things have not been heard so far. TfL have launched a consultation on the proposals. This is probably your first and last chance to have any input, if you are interested

consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/ … n-standard

GasGas:
(Mods…please delete or whatever if not appropriate.)

As some of you know, TfL is planning to introduce vision standards which would see most conventional trucks banned from the streets of London, unless fitted with a variety of bells and whistles. Dustcart chassis will be used instead (TfL hopes).

As usual, the voices of those who will actually have to drive the things have not been heard so far. TfL have launched a consultation on the proposals. This is probably your first and last chance to have any input, if you are interested

consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/ … n-standard

Just ban HGV’s from within M25 and problem solved. If they can’t educate the cyclists and pedestrians to watch where they are going then that is the only practical answer.

TfL consultations are a waste of time; the decisions will have been taken and contracts awarded already. The old guard who actually knew something about transport have moved on to pastures new.

I agree with waddy.
I drive HGVs all round London sw1,e1,se1 all over artics and rigids.
The cyclists are nuts they hang on to the truck they overtake on all sides and do not pay attention to lights.
Scooters are now doing similar.
Pedestrians are just as bad.

That being said all new coop vehicles have that little window in the passenger door but it means the passenger window doesn’t go down.
They should just use 7.5t vehicles only and people in London can then deal with the huge rise in the price of goods as it becomes more expensive to stock the stores.

And yet again the lorry driver is automatically at fault the way these statistics are worded . This industry, while admittedly having its share of bad drivers, is again judged by the powers that be to be totally at fault when we all know how good cyclists are at riding within the law. Although it is nigh on Impossible to enforce or control we need more legislation to implement fines on errant cyclists who flout the rules at lights and crossings and junctions. A great deal of these are most likely to be the cause of their own future demise under the wheels of a heavy vehicle.

The point is that in the main the victims of these accidents are adults, not young children and therefore should have some idea of self-preservation. One other point is that there is a limit to how many mirrors and windows you can check before you pull away.

I’ve banned myself from going within the M25.

It seems to work for me. :wink:

my Response to the Consultation:

All goods vehicles should be banned from London

Community volunteers should be issued with stirrup pumps & Buckets for Fire Fighting

Community cyclists should be issued with bicycle trailers for refuse collection which they would peddle to reception centres outside of the M25

Special bicycles should be commisioned for the emergency services with stretcher facilties for those needing urgent transfet to A&E

Retail collection points for food/ domestic necessities & on-line purchases established at convenient points around the M25 - all goods for inside the M25 to be retrieved from these locations by the recipient only. The working week reduced to 3 days in order to give the population of London time to cycle there & back.

Hostels to be providde en route for the elderly & disabled who are unable to cycle there & back the same day

Can’t afford a Bike? Tough move out of London to Liverpool or Manchester

Twoninety88:
And yet again the lorry driver is automatically at fault the way these statistics are worded . This industry, while admittedly having its share of bad drivers, is again judged by the powers that be to be totally at fault when we all know how good cyclists are at riding within the law. Although it is nigh on Impossible to enforce or control we need more legislation to implement fines on errant cyclists who flout the rules at lights and crossings and junctions. A great deal of these are most likely to be the cause of their own future demise under the wheels of a heavy vehicle.

The ones that jump the lights probably aren’t the ones that end up under a truck turning left, as they’ve long gone by the time the light have changed and the truck has started to move, they’ve also probably ridden down the right hand side, its the more timid, less road savy ones, that ride down the few inches of Tarmac between the gutter and carriageway, that is supposed to be a cycle lane and then sit at the left hand corner of the truck waiting for the lights to change.

Harry Monk:

I have banned myself from driving trucks ever again, it’s called retirement and I will never step into a truck again to drive it. Job done

gezt:

Harry Monk:

I have banned myself from driving trucks ever again, it’s called retirement and I will never step into a truck again to drive it. Job done

Ditto for me too. :slight_smile: I’ve done my time and earned my feet up time.

They don’t need to worry about me either. I promise that I shall never ever pollute your city again. My stock answer is to starve them out, let them eat berries and weeds foraged from the banks of the Thames and eels from within. As for the TfL, the only man who ever understood transport was Peter Cannon.

In all the government reshuffles throughout my lifetime, the Minister for or of Transport has always been a low priority and given to someone as a last resort. It is more important to announce the minister without portfolio or that lesbian who is in charge of flower pressing.

Even the reasonably reasonable Boris Bus has been scrapped for a Tut-Tut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lancpudn:

gezt:

Harry Monk:

Ditto for me too. :slight_smile: I’ve done my time and earned my feet up time.

I still have another six or seven years to go, although I am semi-retired in the sense that I only work six months a year. I only have another 6-8 weeks of work to do before I go away boating for the Summer.

Harry Monk:

I live within the M25 and it’s still got nothing whatsoever to do with TfL or London so far and I’ll also ban myself from home if it ever happens.

Carryfast:

Harry Monk:

I live within the M25 and it’s still got nothing whatsoever to do with TfL or London so far and I’ll also ban myself from home if it ever happens.

By 2021 I think it will cover all the north circular/south circular area so it is approaching.

Two things come to mind, “It is no good being in the right if you are dead” and “Might is right”