Road gritting

Any road gritters on here or can anyone explain
…driving along the a 55 around rhyl colwyn bay today 11am sun’s out dash showing.teperature of 10.5 . And griiter is in front of me spreading his load. Why?

If the weather forecast says ice and they dont get the gritters out,the next thing will be you wanting to know why they didnt get them out in time.
It maybe a case of not having enough staff to cover a certain amount of runs or have vehicles of the road and have to grit a few hours early to ensure the roads are covered

lolipop:
If the weather forecast says ice and they dont get the gritters out,the next thing will be you wanting to know why they didnt get them out in time.
It maybe a case of not having enough staff to cover a certain amount of runs or have vehicles of the road and have to grit a few hours early to ensure the roads are covered

Err… minimum temperature last night in that area was + (that’s positive, above freezing point) 8 degrees C :unamused: There is a possibility of frost on Thursday night though :laughing:

Test run, diesel spill and he was spreading sand ?

Was grit and it pebbled dash.my truck

My.point is why so early on.the day ? By time frost comes later this evening it :wink: would have blown away

edd1974:

My.point is why so early on.the day ? By time frost comes later this evening it :wink: would have blown away

Apparently it has to be pulverised by traffic to be effective.

As you say grit, not salt, it’s to top dress the tar melting in the heat.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

edd1974:

Definitely no frost forecast until Thursday, minimum +8 tonight again.

Franglais:
As you say grit, not salt, it’s to top dress the tar melting in the heat.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Yes, heatwaves in Colwyn Bay are quite common this time of year :laughing:

usual council pish,if they dont spend it or use it this year,then they cant claim for it next year…

It’s only clear sky’s and 21’c here in Fuerteventura, oh well I’d best get back to the pool bar before my beer get warm :smiley:

peirre:
It’s only clear sky’s and 21’c here in Fuerteventura, oh well I’d best get back to the pool bar before my beer get warm :smiley:

Bloody agency tourists hogging the pool bar and ruining the job do the rest of us! :imp:

Temperature has dropped here, from 6 to below 4 and the suns still shining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
Temperature has dropped here, from 6 to below 4 and the suns still shining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes well, you will live on the darkside.

the maoster:
Bloody agency tourists hogging the pool bar and ruining the job do the rest of us! :imp:

While you lot are crawling in the rush hour it’ll be happy hour at 5pm here with 2-4-1 drinks, so I may have to drag it out and maximise the potential, and spend the agency holiday pay I’m getting. :slight_smile:

However all good things come to an end and I’m back on the plane tomorrow afternoon :frowning:

Getting back to the OP, they monitor the weather forcast, if they’re told that it’s a dropping forecast and will get below 3 - 4ºC they will grit hopefully to get it down before that bottom figure arrives.
Just looked at the forecast for the next few days here in the NW, Tomorrow it’s going to ■■■■ down but stay above 6ºC, but from Wednesday on & through the w/end, it’s going to be somewhere between 1ºc to -3ºC during the night-time.

edd1974:
…driving along the a 55 around rhyl colwyn bay today 11am sun’s out dash showing.teperature of 10.5 . And griiter is in front of me spreading his load. Why?

Been working with some council blokes today, Denbighshire has no routine gritting planned today or tonight, they`ve just had new gritters so could be testing? or as someone said diesel spill, or could be Conwy so no idea.

Conspiracy with the car makers and government to corrode older vehicles off the road faster. :wink:

pig pen:

edd1974:

Been working with some council blokes today, Denbighshire has no routine gritting planned today or tonight, they`ve just had new gritters so could be testing? or as someone said diesel spill, or could be Conwy so no idea.

Sounds like a joyrider then :laughing:

dieseldog999:
usual council pish,if they dont spend it or use it this year,then they cant claim for it next year…

But the A55 is a Highways England responsibility - nowt to do with the local council…

Roymondo:

dieseldog999:

But the A55 is a Highways England responsibility - nowt to do with the local council…

and you would imagine highays england to have more gumption about wasting money than your average council? :confused: