Low bridge A325 Farnham

Right I’ve got to go from Swindon to Bordon and then to Reading tomorrow and the 13’9" bridge on the A325 at Farnham is in my way. Now I’m hoping I’ll be in a Merc as according to the attached pic they are lower than the Scanias so in theory I should be able to squeeze under the bridge. However if I could avoid it all together then that would be better, but from looking on Google maps there doesn’t appear to be an easy alternative.
I did go from Bordon to Reading a little while ago and had to encounter some tight streets in Farnham to avoid the bridge.
Can any of you guys suggest a better route?

Nick

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Only real alternative is to use the A3 via A272

Can you not use Weydon Lane to miss the bridge, it’s a signposted high vehicle alternative, will add about five minutes?

A287 B3384

Washwipe:
Can you not use Weydon Lane to miss the bridge, it’s a signposted high vehicle alternative, will add about five minutes?

Good spot my friend! I didn’t see that sign when looking on street view. I recon that’s the best way.
Cheers dude [emoji106]

robthedog:
A287 B3384

I think that’s the way I went last time, but it involves going through the centre of Farnham which is a pain in the ■■■ with an artic - narrow town centre streets with tight turns and all the other obstacles you get in small town centres. That place really isn’t designed for large vehicles. I did it last time with no problems but one car parked in the wrong place and your screwed! Much better to avoid it.

Sorry, can’t help with the routing, but never rely on manufacturers bumf for stuff like that. Trailer heights are dependent on 5th wheel heights, and 5th wheels are an aftermarket fit, so heights may vary. The heights on the front of a trailer (usually given in metric, while bridge heights are always in imperial, with newer signs giving both) are measured at a standard 5th wheel height of 1250mm. Some vehicles are higher though. I recall a batch of 08 plate MAN’s that had stickers on the backs of the cabs saying 5th wheel height was 1350mm. Thats 4 whole inches bigger than a stated trailer height!

The time to measure it is when you are doing your walk round checks, not on the approach to a bridge.

Oh, and it’s a good idea to carry a pre printed conversion chart with you. You can find them by a simple google search.

TBH, as the bridge is signed with a safe clearance of 13’ 9" you should easily slip under even with a Scania (provided you dropped the axle, just to be on the safe side). If you were feeling really unsure about it, just drop the suspension as well for the bridge itself.

Not helping you but 33 years ago in my first lorry job I went under that bridge every morning in a TK. My third morning the lorry spat out a piston while going under it. Happy days

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Go the A3 as they’re working on the A31 up by the station and it’s down to 1 lane until feb and gets very busy

Roymondo:
TBH, as the bridge is signed with a safe clearance of 13’ 9" you should easily slip under even with a Scania (provided you dropped the axle, just to be on the safe side). If you were feeling really unsure about it, just drop the suspension as well for the bridge itself.

Yeah it’s just a little too close for comfort really. Given the horror stories you read about roads being resurfaced and bridge signs not being amended to compensate, I don’t want to take the risk. Even if I get a Merc which according to that pic I posted, which is on our notice board, I should quite easily get under as I’ll only be 13’6". But again it’s still a bit too close for comfort really.

Beef:

robthedog:
A287 B3384

I think that’s the way I went last time, but it involves going through the centre of Farnham which is a pain in the ■■■ with an artic - narrow town centre streets with tight turns and all the other obstacles you get in small town centres. That place really isn’t designed for large vehicles. I did it last time with no problems but one car parked in the wrong place and your screwed! Much better to avoid it.

I only come up from a287, but If I’m thinking of the right junction then to avoid town and the 1 way use Great Austin’s from Tilford road. You would come off the bypass by the station.

I’ve worded that to suit coming opposite direction. B3384, great Austin’s, Tilford road, a31 east to a325.

Ive only done it in a rigid mind.

Beef:

Washwipe:

Good spot my friend! I didn’t see that sign when looking on street view. I recon that’s the best way.
Cheers dude [emoji106]

You can get an artic through okay, except around school pick up/ drop off times, the school is a couple of hundred yards up on the right. Still can be done but some of the parents aren’t too good at getting their 4x4s out of the way. If you’re a confident driver then go for it, plenty of speed humps so you have to keep it slow anyway. Alternative signed route for HGVs is turning at Hinkley’s Corner crossroads, past the station, up a hill to t/ls, turn right and straight on through The Ridgeway (some tight spots) that brings you out at the top of Wrecclesham.

Coming back via The Ridgeway might be better even if you can get under the bridge, 2nd week of 6 with roadworks closing one lane n/bound at Hinkley’s Corner, there have been some very long delays every day in the past week.

Beef:

Roymondo:

Yeah it’s just a little too close for comfort really. Given the horror stories you read about roads being resurfaced and bridge signs not being amended to compensate, I don’t want to take the risk. Even if I get a Merc which according to that pic I posted, which is on our notice board, I should quite easily get under as I’ll only be 13’6". But again it’s still a bit too close for comfort really.

In order to be marked as 13’ 9", the clearance would have to have been measured at somewhere between 14’ and 14’ 3". It is also marked at 4.2 metres, which means that it must have been measured at somewhere between 4.28m (14’ 0.5") and 4.37m (14’ 4").

With any luck you’ll not have a 1700 trailer. I think all Gray & Adams trailers and the 1600 series Solomon trailers are a tad lower. 13ft 6in with the Scanias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:
With any luck you’ll not have a 1700 trailer. I think all Gray & Adams trailers and the 1600 series Solomon trailers are a tad lower. 13ft 6in with the Scanias.

1700’s?! You’re spoilt, I usually end up with a battered 800!

mbax81:

damoq:

1700’s?! You’re spoilt, I usually end up with a battered 800!

We’ve still got 781 & 782 at our yard. They don’t use them for trunking though. [emoji1]

Get odd 700 now and again. Ended up with 830 twice last week. Inch or so of compact ice on floor at front of trl. Old metal floor was like an ice rink. All good fun trying to lug ton+ plts of frozen fish blocks up and down trl all day in Grimsby!

mbax81:
Get odd 700 now and again. Ended up with 830 twice last week. Inch or so of compact ice on floor at front of trl. Old metal floor was like an ice rink. All good fun trying to lug ton+ plts of frozen fish blocks up and down trl all day in Grimsby!

I’m fortunate that probably more than half of my drops are all loading bays. Still get the odd one or two which need pulling to the back for a forkie to unload. They’re normally the 1 ton pallets though [emoji36][emoji36]