The end of a wobble box

I’m not clear whether the car and caravan hit the stationary car before the lorry hit it.

aol.co.uk/news/2019/01/12/l … id=webmail

How blind are some, WT,F how do these idiots get a licence? Come on , don’t let us down, excuses why it was not the lorry drivers fault? :unamused:

Seems to have been filmed in the summer time. Looking at the video closely, can see in the first couple of seconds that the caravan car hits a stationary car. The truck then wipes them both out. Always get those on here who open their mouths before their eyes.

jakethesnake:
How blind are some, WT,F how do these idiots get a licence? Come on , don’t let us down, excuses why it was not the lorry drivers fault? :unamused:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: But the driver did finish his text :unamused:

I never knew the M1 passed near Manchester. Or was the article written by a traffic office planner?

blue estate:

jakethesnake:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: But the driver did finish his text :unamused:

Reckon you might be right!

Another great advert for 4 live running lanes :unamused:

If there had been a hard shoulder.

Tncsi head on.
Looks like the truck was preparing for overtake, and the woobly box saw the car at last minute, and truck left overtake till last minute dot com

After a lot of stop starting, I’m beginning to wonder what exactly was going on and whether this was a brake checking by the car in front of the caravan driver. By looks of things it plays out as:

• Silver car suddenly stops in live lane (vehicle 1).
  • Caravan driver can’t stop and slams into them (vehicle 2).
  • Truck slams into caravan (vehicle 3).

There’s a car in front of vehicle 1 which I’ve marked as vehicle 4 in the pic below and it’s far too close for it to have just overtaken a broken down car and then pulled back into lane one. Plus in the video the car marked 4 pulls away along with the rest of the traffic and only vehicle 1 (silver car) stops.

Thus either vehicle 1 (silver car) has a catastrophic malfunction causing it to brake hard, or it’s brake checked the caravan. No one is expecting this and thus everyone ploughs into everyone else.It might be the lighting but right at the beginning there’s no brake lights on vehicle (1) then they definitely appear to come on as it stops further suggesting that it hadn’t broken down.

What you can’t see in the pic is the car towing the caravan but in answer to the original question, yes the caravan does crash first shortly followed by the truck. Having studied it, I would say the truck driver reacted as quickly as I’d expect since you’re going along, suddenly caravan emergency stops (not too sure if showed any brake lights) and you’ve got to have reaction time which is usually measured around 2 seconds.

I blame ultimately the silver car (vehicle 1) for stopping suddenly and for no apparent reason in the live lane, the idiots in the Highways dept who thought no hard shoulder was a good idea although that might not have helped unless car had broken down and everyone else for driving too close. There’s my report for TNCSI. There are a couple more screenshots but it won’t let me attach more than one.

tnuk-crash-marked.jpg

trevHCS:
After a lot of stop starting, I’m beginning to wonder what exactly was going on and whether this was a brake checking by the car in front of the caravan driver. By looks of things it plays out as:

• Silver car suddenly stops in live lane (vehicle 1).
  • Caravan driver can’t stop and slams into them (vehicle 2).
  • Truck slams into caravan (vehicle 3).

There’s a car in front of vehicle 1 which I’ve marked as vehicle 4 in the pic below and it’s far too close for it to have just overtaken a broken down car and then pulled back into lane one. Plus in the video the car marked 4 pulls away along with the rest of the traffic and only vehicle 1 (silver car) stops.

Thus either vehicle 1 (silver car) has a catastrophic malfunction causing it to brake hard, or it’s brake checked the caravan. No one is expecting this and thus everyone ploughs into everyone else.It might be the lighting but right at the beginning there’s no brake lights on vehicle (1) then they definitely appear to come on as it stops further suggesting that it hadn’t broken down.

What you can’t see in the pic is the car towing the caravan but in answer to the original question, yes the caravan does crash first shortly followed by the truck. Having studied it, I would say the truck driver reacted as quickly as I’d expect since you’re going along, suddenly caravan emergency stops (not too sure if showed any brake lights) and you’ve got to have reaction time which is usually measured around 2 seconds.

I blame ultimately the silver car (vehicle 1) for stopping suddenly and for no apparent reason in the live lane, the idiots in the Highways dept who thought no hard shoulder was a good idea although that might not have helped unless car had broken down and everyone else for driving too close. There’s my report for TNCSI. There are a couple more screenshots but it won’t let me attach more than one.

I agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:

A lorry on the M1 near Manchester smashed into a caravan being towed by a car ahead that braked suddenly, completely obliterating it.

I blame ultimately the silver car (vehicle 1) for stopping suddenly and for no apparent reason in the live lane

Really I knew there would be one. Stopped for no apparent reason? I would guess you cannot see that reason however no matter what happened what about if the vehicles involved had been keeping a safe travelling distance especially the lorry driver then he would have had time to react and avoid the caravan. :unamused:

Is that the toilet seat seen spinning along the road?

to be be fair the truck was far too close to the scumbox so yes the truck driver carries some blame.

A 4 second gap for a loaded truck in good conditions is the minimum a truck travelling at 56mph is travelling just over 82 feet per second the truck was way too close the reaction time of a fit alert driver is an average of 0.7 seconds the drivers reaction time in this case was around the average if not a little above, the problem is the distance between him and the scumbox.

■■■■ poor driving by all concerned.

rearaxle:

jakethesnake:

A lorry on the M1 near Manchester smashed into a caravan being towed by a car ahead that braked suddenly, completely obliterating it.

Let me explain a simple rule of safe driving. If something stops suddenly in front of you , you should be able to stop. If you cannot you are too close to the vehicle in front.

professional drivers. Where?

jakethesnake:

rearaxle:

jakethesnake:

Let me explain a simple rule of safe driving. If something stops suddenly in front of you , you should be able to stop. If you cannot you are too close to the vehicle in front.

professional drivers. Where?

I agree and have no doubt at all that it will be the truck’s policy that will be paying out.

jakethesnake: 543 posts (and counting :wink: ) of lorry driver bashing from a recent retired.

WhiteTruckMan:
I never knew the M1 passed near Manchester. Or was the article written by a traffic office planner?

As paul chowdhry would say.

“100 miles, 10 miles. Same ting”

mrginge:
jakethesnake: 543 posts (and counting :wink: ) of lorry driver bashing from a recent retired.

To be fair the poster in question does raise a valid point.
“If your driving to close so you can’t brake if the vehicle in front stops, then your driving to close”

Chuff me isn’t this supposed to be a professional drivers forum?
I cringe when I read some of the gumf on here, I really do.

chester:

mrginge:

To be fair the poster in question does raise a valid point.
“If your driving to close so you can’t brake if the vehicle in front stops, then your driving to close”

Chuff me isn’t this supposed to be a professional drivers forum?
I cringe when I read some of the gumf on here, I really do.

TBH I think the whole forum brings the image of truck drivers down, what with the constant bickering and arguing, it must seem like a day out at the zoo to an outsider reading this!
And that is why the pay and conditions are so carp.

mrginge:

Wrong. All my posts are not lorry bashing as you put it, I am afraid it goes against my nature when I see these idiots and it gets worse when others try to deflect the blame. :unamused: