Going on to class 1 next week

Right so after a few months on the rigids I’ve been moved up on the artics from next week onwards. I did a shift last week to help out and now there’s a position available and my boss has asked if I want it. Now this might sound daft and I know that practice and experience is what it’ll take but my main issue is going to be reversing…last week I did a couple of reverses onto bays no real dramas but there was only trailers parked to my drivers side bays so I could see how close I was etc, what plays on my mind a bit is if I’ve got to reverse in between two trailers I obviously can’t see the back end of the trailer on passenger side and and worry that I’m going to back into a trailer or someone else’s cab. The rear and swing also makes me wince a bit when turning in tight areas I never really had this issue on buses and the rigid, is the swing worse on an artic or am I overthinking things?

liam6226:
Right so after a few months on the rigids I’ve been moved up on the artics from next week onwards. I did a shift last week to help out and now there’s a position available and my boss has asked if I want it. Now this might sound daft and I know that practice and experience is what it’ll take but my main issue is going to be reversing…last week I did a couple of reverses onto bays no real dramas but there was only trailers parked to my drivers side bays so I could see how close I was etc, what plays on my mind a bit is if I’ve got to reverse in between two trailers I obviously can’t see the back end of the trailer on passenger side and and worry that I’m going to back into a trailer or someone else’s cab. The rear and swing also makes me wince a bit when turning in tight areas I never really had this issue on buses and the rigid, is the swing worse on an artic or am I overthinking things?

Hi Liam. As most things new it can be daunting. Reversing onto bays is probably the easy part. Although at first especially when preying eyes are around you will feel pressure. It will all become like riding a bike.

Just take your time and be comfortable.

Never mind what anyone else thinks.

I remember a few times i was asked by guys to help them reverse in as they had just passed and they were overthinking it.

Steady as you go and as i say before you know it youl be doing it one handed whilst on phone to planner back at depot asking if your nearly there yet.

the only time you cannot see the back of your trailer is if you did not get out and have a look, there no maximum amount of shunts either, take it slow and it will become easy.

Meanto to say as well a good trick ia to get as straight as possible before reversing between the 2 trailers.

If this is not possible use the wheels on the trailer as a guide get them cutting to the driverside trailer as close as you can and you wont have to worry about passenger side.

Don’t worry, just take your time and in a couple of weeks you will wonder why you worried. :wink:
Don’t be shy , get out and have a look if you are not sure especially in the dark!

GOAL.

Get Out And Look.

Harry Monk:
GOAL.

Get Out And Look.

I got out six times to have a look on Tuesday during a rather difficult S approach, awkward, tight blindside with a short trailer. It would have been me paying for and having to fit new rear lights otherwise.

cav551:

Harry Monk:
GOAL.

Get Out And Look.

I got out six times to have a look on Tuesday during a rather difficult S approach, awkward, tight blindside with a short trailer. It would have been me paying for and having to fit new rear lights otherwise.

If you are coping with a short trailer, don’t worry as then others will seem easy! Not a single axle trailer is it? :laughing:

Harry Monk:
GOAL.

Get Out And Look.

This one is good, will remember.
BLACK is my favorite so far [emoji5]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

Best advise someone once gave me when I started on class 1 is that when reversing, for one. Whatever way your steering axle wheel is facing is the direction your trailer will be facing when starting a reverse from a straight lone and secondly, if pulling a tandem (2 axels) then the rear axle is the pivot point and in a tridem (3 axels) the pivot point is on the center axle. Made reversing a hell of a lot easier for me after that.

Try BLANK instead of BLACK then you remember your number plate as well :smiley: