CPC query. Away from driving for years just returned

Hi Guys.

Question here. I gave up driving class 1 back in 2012.

I want to return to it now.

I passed my class 1 18 years ago.

Do i have to sit my full 35 hours or is there an easy way to get back on road. I have no cpc training whatsoever.

Regards

Iam afraid so no 35 hours no cpc card
And then every 5 years

Agreed, full 35 hours needed. Catch up on your sleep :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Looks like i will just have to grin and bear it.
Been quoted £295 for 5 days is this decent?

sounds like a good price, average around here (London) something like 350. Check if it includes the uploads for each module/day, that is about 11 quid a time, I think.

Will report back. I will call them monday they have a course every week so im eager to get back on road ASAP.

I have lots of varied experience of moat haulage so getting employed shouldnt be difficult.

Fancy tramping away now as i have nothing to tie me down.

If you have the cash maybe look at an ADR course some providers give you 3 days CPC with 5 days ADR training. I did this and i think it was around 500 quid then you just need 2 days cpc

cgscott:

It depends on where on this island you are, if you can narrow it down a bit you may get some pointers to cheaper providers.
I’ve recently paid 5x £80 to complete mine, but I’m aware of an Immingham based provider who charges £35 a go

cgscott:
I have lots of varied experience of moat haulage.

G’won I’ll be the 1st to ask … do you have to drain the moat before you transport it to stop the water slipping around ?

Kingdom of Great britain

I installed baffle plates stops the sloshing around.

cgscott:
Cheers.

I did my ADR for £500 and that gave me 28 hours of my CPC, I then did the last CPC near my home for convenience, that was £65 so I now have ADR and CPC for 5 years for £565, I would have rather not spent the money but I had no choice, still it only works out at £2.17 a week for the next 260 weeks :open_mouth:

noisycarl:

cgscott:
Cheers.

I did my ADR for £500 and that gave me 28 hours of my CPC, I then did the last CPC near my home for convenience, that was £65 so I now have ADR and CPC for 5 years for £565, I would have rather not spent the money but I had no choice, still it only works out at £2.17 a week for the next 260 weeks :open_mouth:

Il go for cheapest option just to get back behind the wheel. As daft as it sounds i bolted from the driving as i refused to pay the cpc when they introduced it. Now ive got a fever for it again. In hindsight i shouldve just stuck to it and kept all cards up to date. But hey ho.

cgscott:

Do i have to sit my full 35 hours or is there an easy way to get back on road. I have no cpc training whatsoever.

You have 2 options.

1. Do 35 hours of periodic training.
  2. Do MODs 2 and 4 of the initial CPC training.

Because you havn’t done any DCPC training you can choose to do modules 2 and 4 instead of the 35 hours training, however mods 2 and 4 are both tests that can be failed whereas there is no pass/fail for the periodic training you just have to attend.

tachograph:

cgscott:

You have 2 options.

1. Do 35 hours of periodic training.
  2. Do MODs 2 and 4 of the initial CPC training.

Because you havn’t done any DCPC training you can choose to do modules 2 and 4 instead of the 35 hours training, however mods 2 and 4 are both tests that can be failed whereas there is no pass/fail for the periodic training you just have to attend.

Now that is music to my ears. Least it gets the wheels turning. I will call a local firm and see what they can do. I did pass a psv module 2 last year. The centre f’d up and when i went to computer it was psv. Rather than reschedule i just done it and passed. Does this count towards the CPC.

So module 4 then im back on the road?

Don’t want to complicate things here, but if you passed your car test pre January 1997 then you might find the mod 2 and mod 4 route throws up a lot more complications than the 35 hours CPC.

In essence to do mod 2 (extended theory test) you need to book it online but if you passed a car test pre 97, DVSA / VOSA who run the tests have to confirm you’re allowed to do this by checking your licence with DVLA (utter totally stupid). However it can take them weeks to do this. In my case it was at least 2 months and lots of emails and phone calls before I could even book a date never mind do the test.

If you’re post 97 this isn’t an issue but you’ve also got to deal with Pearsons who admin this for DVSA and they make government depts look exceptionally efficient! They even make PFI contracts look good. Even Capita look good compared to these idiots! :smiling_imp:

If I’d known this I would have done the 35 hours classroom version which requires no notification at DVLA or DVSA as it could actually be a lot quicker, albeit more sleepy. You just do it, then wait for the CPC card to arrive.

trevHCS:
Don’t want to complicate things here, but if you passed your car test pre January 1997 then you might find the mod 2 and mod 4 route throws up a lot more complications than the 35 hours CPC.

In essence to do mod 2 (extended theory test) you need to book it online but if you passed a car test pre 97, DVSA / VOSA who run the tests have to confirm you’re allowed to do this by checking your licence with DVLA (utter totally stupid). However it can take them weeks to do this. In my case it was at least 2 months and lots of emails and phone calls before I could even book a date never mind do the test.

If you’re post 97 this isn’t an issue but you’ve also got to deal with Pearsons who admin this for DVSA and they make government depts look exceptionally efficient! They even make PFI contracts look good. Even Capita look good compared to these idiots! :smiling_imp:

If I’d known this I would have done the 35 hours classroom version which requires no notification at DVLA or DVSA as it could actually be a lot quicker, albeit more sleepy. You just do it, then wait for the CPC card to arrive.

Cheers Trev. I passed my car and lorrys within a month in Feb 2000. So im guessing i could do the module 2 and 4. I will phone my local firm on monday and see what i can come up with.

Quickest route to back on road.

cgscott:
Kingdom of Great Britain.

Ok shall we refine it a little… maybe to county/nearest city where you live, then the masses can point you in the direction of a dcpc provider who charges you less and save you money

peirre:

cgscott:
Kingdom of Great Britain.

Ok shall we refine it a little… maybe to county/nearest city where you live, then the masses can point you in the direction of a dcpc provider who charges you less and save you money

West Lothian