We need another cpc

So I had another daily snooze fest recently.
The trainer said something though. Something like 'the cpc is a means of distinguishing drivers by showing they are professional thus making them more employable."

Or something to that effect as I was half asleep at the time. :laughing:

This is obviously wrong as it’s non optional so every driver has to do it. So every driver is on the same foot. Also you can’t fail it unless you walk out or fall asleep for too long.
Also I’m pretty sure their is no requirement to understand English as I’ve sat next to people who can’t speak English. :unamused: suppose he got the just of it from the pictures though.

The entire thing is a joke.

However I understand why we have it and in principle it’s a good idea just poorly executed and o suspect most trainers would even agree.

But why don’t we have another level of cpc that is completly optional. This can include blind side reversing, using lorry ban pie charts. Driving without a sat nav. Securing loads. Using a fridge properly and proper vehicle checks.

These are just examples of what might appeal to a potential employer.
Basically it’s an advanced truck hgv test with relevant industry based skills included.
You pay for it and you have a accredited trainer sit with you for a few hours and mark you. If you pass you get an advances hgv pass certificate.

This way you can distinguish yourself from Sergio who just passes his test in Romania on a tractor.
Also the employer may receive a discount on insurance as a result of the recognition of the test.

I liken this to the advanced motorcycle test in which often a serving traffic cop will go out with you and judge your riding.

Thoughts?
I suspect a few training companies offer something similar to this already but I think this would have to be carried out by the DVSA with accredited trainers for it to be given enough weight.

I think if something like this existed employers would pay the premium for a quality driver.

The current DCPC is perfect. :open_mouth:

Well maybe not for the drivers or in improving road safety ot public perception of commercial drivers, but it’s for those that really matter, the important people who run the logistics industry, as it does exactly what it was designed to, that is implementation of an EU directive with as little cost to the industry as possible, in fact it does it so well that some drivers not only have to do it in their own time, they also have to pay, therefore meaning the whole thing doesn’t cost their employer a penny.

Heaven forbid the last thing the industry wants is an upskilled workforce, especially if they had to pay for it and it reduced their pool of ready labour, they might have to do something dramatic like increase wages, improve conditions and reduce hours to make the job more attractive.

All DCPC courses are not the same, the ones we get concentrate on keeping you, the driver, out of trouble with the DVSA (or VOSA or whatever they go by this week) and the old bill, so are worth the time to us as drivers.

Note, i don’t think Romanian drivers in general are due the tractor reference, if half the British drivers out there could display the skills that the Romainian lads i’ve worked with over the years, and still do today, in particular there’s a Romanian bloke i work with who is not only a good solid workmate, his maneuvering and general driving skills are extraordinary, plus he appreciates he’s landed a good job and has every intention of it lasting as long as possible, does the job to the best of his ability, never ever goes on the sick, never tries the other usual ■■■■■■■■ to get out of a second run or whatever, he’d be at the top of my poaching list…i’ve worked with several Romainians before who stood out as not only competent drivers but respectful decent blokes to boot.

adam277:
However I understand why we have it and in principle it’s a good idea just poorly executed and o suspect most trainers would even agree.

But why don’t we have another level of cpc that is completly optional. This can include blind side reversing, using lorry ban pie charts. Driving without a sat nav. Securing loads. Using a fridge properly and proper vehicle checks.
Basically it’s an advanced truck hgv test with relevant industry based skills included.
You pay for it and you have a accredited trainer sit with you for a few hours and mark you. If you pass you get an advances hgv pass certificate.

This way you can distinguish yourself from Sergio who just passes his test in Romania on a tractor.

Before all this dcpc bullcrap came about, drivers with a brain, a bit of initiative, motivation and common sense managed quite well thanks.

Let’s face it the dcpc has done the far end of Jack ■■■■ to improve driver quality and calibre and weedle out all the f/whits who have managed to blag a Class 1. :unamused: …just look at the pricks we have to share the road with ‘‘driving’’ trucks who have made our name and rep stink. :smiling_imp:
‘‘Professionally Competent’’ my arse !

I agree with your idea though (don’t get why you’re so eager to pay for it yourself btw) but all that sort of stuff should be taught at grass roots level when guys are learning to drive, maybe put another 4 days on their course to carry it out after passing their test. :bulb:

(As for ‘‘advanced drivers’’ hmmmmm…I aint so sure, the ones that I have met have came across a bit ‘‘Alan Partridge’’ tbh :unamused: , thinking they know it all, and telling you in a nasal whiny voice into the bargain, the type you give a wide berth to at a party. :laughing: )

Anyhow…to take it further…why make it optional ?.., why not go further and replace the current ‘‘all show and no substance’’ present form of dcpc in favour of it, with a four hour refresher every 3 yrs or so.
At least then it would show that the agenda for it was serious and actually genuine, and not some kind of money making, whole new industry creating charade as it is now. :imp:

Fully agree with the sat nav bit, that would deffo sort the wheat from the chaff, and improve a lot of driver’s attitudes and skills.

So yeh, a good idea mate,…but don’t hold yer breath.

(Btw…don’t believe all the rdc stereotype dog ■■■■ you hear about foreign drivers and tractors either :unamused: , I agree with Juddian on that…)

adam277:

Such a thing already exists.
Both the Institute of advanced motorists and RoSPA run advanced driving courses and tests for all classes of motorists including HGV’s.
They are completely optional and normally done at drivers cost, some companies have been known to pay for the courses but they are few and far between.
With the IAM you do a course and pass or fail, retests and refreshers are entirely at your discretion, i.e once you’ve passed then there is no need to take the test again.
RoSPA is different, when you take a test with them you get graded, fail, bronze, silver or gold. If you pass at bronze then I think you have to retake within a year and improve in order to stay a member, if you pass at silver or gold then you have to do a retest every 3 years to maintain your membership.
The IAM test pass level is approximately in line with RoSPA between bronze and silver.
Their gold is the highest advanced driving award available to the public (i.e not serving police officers)

In my experience those that slag these tests off the most tend to be those who have a lifetime of bad habits and are the ones who would benefit most from some observational drives and constructive criticism. The perfect driver is just a myth and doesn’t exist.

All this was written in completely non-nasel voice

Tgtrucker:

adam277:

Such a thing already exists.
Both the Institute of advanced motorists and RoSPA run advanced driving courses and tests for all classes of motorists including HGV’s.
They are completely optional and normally done at drivers cost, some companies have been known to pay for the courses but they are few and far between.
With the IAM you do a course and pass or fail, retests and refreshers are entirely at your discretion, i.e once you’ve passed then there is no need to take the test again.
RoSPA is different, when you take a test with them you get graded, fail, bronze, silver or gold. If you pass at bronze then I think you have to retake within a year and improve in order to stay a member, if you pass at silver or gold then you have to do a retest every 3 years to maintain your membership.
The IAM test pass level is approximately in line with RoSPA between bronze and silver.
Their gold is the highest advanced driving award available to the public (i.e not serving police officers)

In my experience those that slag these tests off the most tend to be those who have a lifetime of bad habits and are the ones who would benefit most from some observational drives and constructive criticism. The perfect driver is just a myth and doesn’t exist.

All this was written in completely non-nasel voice

Cheers Alan, sounds a scream
Any parties planned? :smiley:
…off to sort out my lifetime of bad habits. :wink: :laughing:
Now where’s me cardigan and leather driving gloves. :smiley:

adam277:
This is obviously wrong as it’s non optional so every driver has to do it.

No they don’t but then again if you’d stayed awake you’d have known that. However thanks for demonstrating on a public forum you don’t even know the basics.

Made yourself look a bit of a prat there didn’t you after your comment about it being a snooze fest. Get the basics right, because something tells me had there been a written test for any of your modules you’d have failed, and maybe then you’d be fit to take an optional advanced version.

robroy:
Before all this dcpc bullcrap came about, drivers with a brain, a bit of initiative, motivation and common sense managed quite well thanks.

If that were the case then there would have been no need for the DCPC, DVSA and the Police wouldn’t be having their current purge on load security, we wouldn’t have drivers who have been driving several years or more who don’t even know basic drivers hours regs.

The DCPC and all I mentioned have happened because far too many drivers were actually quite crap, just perfect in their own mind and laughing off things like their load falling on the road as a joke.

Conor:

robroy:

If that were the case then there would have been no need for the DCPC, DVSA and the Police wouldn’t be having their current purge on load security, we wouldn’t have drivers who have been driving several years or more who don’t even know basic drivers hours regs.

The DCPC and all I mentioned have happened because far too many drivers were actually quite crap, just perfect in their own mind and laughing off things like their load falling on the road as a joke.

If you read the post …I mentioned a certain type of driver. :bulb:
The type you refer to was not included in the synopsis, other than my negative opinion of them that is… :bulb:
Or are you saying every single driver is, or was, incompetent and inept at their jobs, before your beloved dcpc came to be?
I think that a vast amount of evidence refutes that tbh.

Conor:

robroy:

Wrong. The DCPC came in because the EU told us to do it.

Would not make a bit of difference drivers will always be classed as low life

Conor:

robroy:

You really are the worst type of pompous prick aren’t you? Constantly spouting ■■■■■■■■ as you sneeringly look down your nose at other people. I’m sure that someone who actually gives a ■■■■ about whether you live or die could actually be arsed to trawl through the reams of bull manure you post and find a few gems you have written about drivers hours etc that have been so factually incorrect as to be laughable.

the maoster:

Conor:

robroy:

You really are the worst type of pompous prick aren’t you? Constantly spouting ■■■■■■■■ as you sneeringly look down your nose at other people. I’m sure that someone who actually gives a ■■■■ about whether you live or die could actually be arsed to trawl through the reams of bull manure you post and find a few gems you have written about drivers hours etc that have been so factually incorrect as to be laughable.

Ok…but what do you REALLY think, stop sitting on the fence man ffs. :smiley:

Conor:

adam277:

No they don’t but then again if you’d stayed awake you’d have known that. However thanks for demonstrating on a public forum you don’t even know the basics.

Made yourself look a bit of a prat there didn’t you after your comment about it being a snooze fest. Get the basics right, because something tells me had there been a written test for any of your modules you’d have failed, and maybe then you’d be fit to take an optional advanced version.

Then please correct me. I was under the assumption if you are doing anything bar transporting your own goods you need cpc. I’m sure there are a few exceptions that only apply to 00.1% of people who actually make use of them so I don’t really care about them.

Also I think a test would be good cpc should be pass/fail.
Ye I find the cpc boring because It’s literally 8 hours of government legislation on what’s legal and what’s not and all the associated fines. Only you could find that interesting.

adam277:

Conor:

adam277:

Then please correct me. I was under the assumption if you are doing anything bar transporting your own goods you need cpc. I’m sure there are a few exceptions that only apply to 00.1% of people who actually make use of them so I don’t really care about them.

Ye I find the cpc boring because It’s literally 8 hours of government legislation on what’s legal and what’s not and all the associated fines. Only you could find that interesting.

Take no notice mate,.anybody who dares to disagree with Conor or who dares to point out the true agenda of the dcpc is either an idiot, an incompetent, a bad driver or all 3 in his narrow opinion. :unamused:
We’ve all been on the end of it…ooerrr Mrs. :laughing:

As for making it a pass only…ok, that’s fine if you’re academically competent, have a reasonable standard of education, or are ok in an examination scenario, but not everybody is.
I know lots of drivers who come under these categories who are bloody good drivers, I also know some really clever blokes who would have no problems, but are ■■■■ poor drivers, so there lies the problem.
So I think your first idea of having useful and practical stuff taught, with basic ‘‘need to know’’ classes on driver’s hours.

I myself would maybe have problems tbh on the intiricacies of some of the more complicated aspects of driver hours rules, mainly as I aint ■■■■ interested in it, but I manage to get by legally on what I do know.
A more simplified set of rules is called for…with fewer hours to boot.

In my view apart from the whole DCPC needs vastly improving with more practical stuff but there has to be a test at the end. It does not have to complicated or hard just a test on what has been taught to make sure people have been listening and taking it in. At the moment a vast majority have no desire to listen or learn.
It was like when I first did my ADR, it was an attendance course with no test at the end. It just has the wrong effect on a lot of people.

The second module I did this year was on avoiding bridge strikes and basically “Make sure your vehicle’s height is less than the height of bridges you pass beneath” got strung out to three-and-a-half hours.

Harry Monk:
The second module I did this year was on avoiding bridge strikes and basically “Make sure your vehicle’s height is less than the height of bridges you pass beneath” got strung out to three-and-a-half hours.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

although i see the dcpc as a complete waste if everyones time and only jobs for the boys along the line,then that module looks like it would be of significent importance to the hgv profession in general and specifically those on night trunks,say from northern england,across the 66 to lockerbie and back every night working for an agency as that kind of enlightenment would be of vital importance.
how much experience woud you be needing for that,and would having a phd make any difference,or would it just mean you were a prat with an attitude problem?

How about a pass or fail test for the DCPC presenters? Some of them spout ■■■■■■■■ and don’t know the subject. I ask other drivers when I meet them and no one has any thing positive to say , its a tax or its a scam basically.

adam277:

So do I, but as my DCPC instructor said when I took my first module of the current round, the last thing the Government would want is 40% of HGV licence holders suddenly being unable to serve the needs of their chums Lord Tesco and Lord Sainsbury etc. So it has to look like being an attempt to ensure knowledge and skill without actually being one.