Tanker driver causes carnage

yorkpress.co.uk/news/172897 … near-york/

Miraculously no one is thought to have been seriously injured in the crash at Crockey Hill.

Nick Dainton, 71, a retired coach and lorry driver from Howden, was driving south along the A19 and his car, a Peugeot RCZ, was one of the vehicles involved.

He has onboard cameras fitted to the front and back of his car which recorded the crash and provided this footage.

Mr Dainton said: "Myself and a friend had been out shopping and we were driving back to Howden where we live when a red Ford Focus stopped in front of us to turn right in to the Affordable Cars garage. I was waiting for the Focus to turn and I looked in my rear view mirror and all I could see was a fast moving truck.

"The truck hit the two cars which had stopped behind me, a white BMW and a blue Kia 4x4 and the Kia bounced in to my car.

“The police told me that the woman driving the Kia was injured and I understand she had a fractured breastbone and whiplash. i also understand she had a baby in the car. The ambulance and the police were on the scene in minutes and they were all very good.”

A spokesman for the Yorkshire Ambulance Service said: "One patient was taken to hospital but it is not believed to be serious.

“Two other people were checked over on the scene but didn’t need to go to hospital.”

North Yorkshire Police said they were called to the scene at 12.50pm yesterday after reports of a three vehicle collision.

A spokesman for the force said the road was blocked in both directions for more than 90 minutes while vehicles were recovered.

Jesus that could have been a lot worse I think they can consider themselves very lucky, I got to say how cool was the driver with his passenger in the car?

Some very lucky motorists there! Lottery ticket time methinks. That was an appalling lack of observation from the tanker driver there, coupled to the speed that he was doing too. You could see the rear view of the NSL sign the camera car passed so I’m assuming that they had entered a 30 or at most a 40mph limit? There was a low sun but it was almost at 90 degrees to the right so that can’t have been a factor. I’m sure that investigating officers will be checking mobile phone records too. Not saying that’s what it was, but it’d be one of the first things I’d be investigating.

Someone is going to be in bother, clever things those mobile phones for remembering

That was some good driving going backwards for that amount of distance