Insecure load? West Yorkshire Police think so

Another HGV stopped and found to have an insecure load. Same customer insisting on inadequate securing measures, the same customer as a stop on nights. Another multiagency referral going in to improve road safety on a national level.

link to tweet plus responses twitter.com/WYPMotorwayBob/stat … 3923433473

Jesus have you seen the state of those chock rails? You could put your fist through some of those rust holes.

Conor:
Jesus have you seen the state of those chock rails? You could put your fist through some of those rust holes.

Agreed trailer is a bit “old” shall we say, but other than crossing the internals what else could you do…throw ratchets over the top and you are going to damage the product

It’s ok. A ratchet strap over the top would stop everything spilling out :unamused:

If that’s insecure then the uk might as well cancel Christmas and haulage stop delivering until someone can think of another reasonable load securing system for general haulage that won’t damage the product. Even with standard corners on that the your only really securing one pack on each pallet

For those of you who think internals is enough.

Would ratchets have actually stopped that happening? That’s down to ■■■■ poor stacking on the pallet and not being tight up against the pallet in front

DickyNick:
Would ratchets have actually stopped that happening? That’s down to ■■■■ poor stacking on the pallet and not being tight up against the pallet in front

To be fair, that’s more like ■■■■ poor driving. Given the state of some of the crown lorries, I thought they transported the paint without the lids on!

Just to add, it’s nothing to do with me so I dont know the full story behind it.

Nite Owl:

In both cases…what would you do■■?

Nite Owl:

DickyNick:

To be fair, that’s more like ■■■■ poor driving. Given the state of some of the crown lorries, I thought they transported the paint without the lids on!

Just to add, it’s nothing to do with me so I dont know the full story behind it.

Yeah it’s both isn’t. The load is insecure whatever you do there with gaps that big between the goods. That then coupled with driving style. Although you could give him the benefit of doubt, he might have had to slam on for an emergency like to avoid a car that cut him up

RIPPER:

Nite Owl:

In both cases…what would you do■■?

As a lorry driver, I have to accept that sometimes you simply cant 100% secure the load. For example, if them paint tins are leaking, how do you stop it rom leaving the trailer? That would be an insecure load but impossible to prevent.

I’ll say again, driving style should stop your load moving, but that’s not good enough for the uniforms.

I am so glad i got off general haulage and gone back to fridge work and reefer containers :sunglasses:

RIPPER:
I am so glad i got off general haulage and gone back to fridge work and reefer containers :sunglasses:

Did you see the second tweet down? I trust you are using your internal box straps? :smiley:

DickyNick:
If that’s insecure then the uk might as well cancel Christmas and haulage stop delivering until someone can think of another reasonable load securing system for general haulage that won’t damage the product. Even with standard corners on that the your only really securing one pack on each pallet

Or let the EE’s deliver the stuff as they have the gear and the know how.
cargobull.com/uk/beverage-t … 0_214.html

The OP photo is a joke in terms of load restraint but I completely agree with you that drivers face the same impossible task every day because of the woefully inadequate equipment in use in this country.

Tautliners are a waste of time imo for most loads and should be considered merely as a flat trailer with a quick don rain cover. Absolutely no load securing whatsoever and to be honest internals are no more than eye candy. I wouldn’t even risk hanging my Christmas stocking on one of them.

My understanding is that a load should not be able to move forward, backward or sideways in the event of heavy braking, manoeuvring or sudden stopping and there is no need to be tied down as such.

Load just needs to be posi-fit against front and sides and a suitable restraint at the back of a trailer with load bearing front and side walls.

So if it’s not a boxvan use a Euroliner. cargobull.com/en/tie-down-l … 6_584.html or an XL rated and certified beverage trailer.

Unfortunately the industry and RHA believe 4.5 to 5 m high tautliners are more versatile than a proper but more expensive 4m Euroliner and then wonder why they get parked up for the farce in the photograph above.

Kogel have a little info on their standards and reference documents here and lattices are what we would call side boards/laths.
koegel.com/fileadmin/user_u … ong_Go.pdf

If as in Germany the people loading these loads were prosecuted and fined also, the problem would be sorted overnight and there would be lot of new “proper for the job” trailers on the road and drivers wouldn’t again have to carry the can for failing an impossible task.

At a previous workplace we used a system like this.

uktrailerparts.co.uk/loadnet-system

Quick and easy once you get used to using it.

Hurryup&wait:

DickyNick:

Or let the EE’s deliver the stuff as they have the gear and the know how.
cargobull.com/uk/beverage-t … 0_214.html

The OP photo is a joke in terms of load restraint but I completely agree with you that drivers face the same impossible task every day because of the woefully inadequate equipment in use in this country.

Tautliners are a waste of time imo for most loads and should be considered merely as a flat trailer with a quick don rain cover. Absolutely no load securing whatsoever and to be honest internals are no more than eye candy. I wouldn’t even risk hanging my Christmas stocking on one of them.

My understanding is that a load should not be able to move forward, backward or sideways in the event of heavy braking, manoeuvring or sudden stopping and there is no need to be tied down as such.

Load just needs to be posi-fit against front and sides and a suitable restraint at the back of a trailer with load bearing front and side walls.

So if it’s not a boxvan use a Euroliner. cargobull.com/en/tie-down-l … 6_584.html or an XL rated and certified beverage trailer.

Unfortunately the industry and RHA believe 4.5 to 5 m high tautliners are more versatile than a proper but more expensive 4m Euroliner and then wonder why they get parked up for the farce in the photograph above.

Kogel have a little info on their standards and reference documents here and lattices are what we would call side boards/laths.
koegel.com/fileadmin/user_u … ong_Go.pdf

If as in Germany the people loading these loads were prosecuted and fined also, the problem would be sorted overnight and there would be lot of new “proper for the job” trailers on the road and drivers wouldn’t again have to carry the can for failing an impossible task.

Nonsense, find me a link where a pallet of wrapped goods, that hasn’t been double stacked has ever come through a secured curtain and injured anyone.

In fact, find me a link of the same in anything but a rollover - even if ratchet strapping them did keep them in if it rolled over you wouldn’t be able to right it and them stay on.

It’s all from people incapable of real risk assessment the risk to a driver from injury standing pointlessly throwing 13 straps over those pallets of booze, that will do nothing of any real benefit, and undoing them the other end in a yard with forklifts operating and trucks reversing is vastly greater than the threat posed to anyone from the load ever coming off.

RIPPER:
Another HGV stopped and found to have an insecure load. Same customer insisting on inadequate securing measures, the same customer as a stop on nights. Another multiagency referral going in to improve road safety on a national level.

link to tweet plus responses twitter.com/WYPMotorwayBob/stat … 3923433473

I feel safer in my bed already knowing West Yorks Police are prioritising the important stuff like this whilst grooming gangs operate under their noses.

The fast answer is just to put three ratchet straps on each side length ways, half way up, from the front/back of the trailer to the roof posts and between them though.

If West Yorks Police want every truck like that off the road I hate to tell them they’re not going to have very much on their Christmas dinner tables this year.

Whilst it’s a sore subject;

Has the load moved between point of loading, to point of stopping? No, therefore the load CANNOT be insecure…

Only had 1 load really move in my 2 years, and that was on a bulker due to some ■■■■ yard pulling in and almost stopping after passing me on a single track road. Can see how you can securely strap paint, unless you put another empty pallet on top, and fill any gaps with dunnage…

28.2t of bagged fert gets a strap over the rear 2 rows of bags.
24t of fert gets one over the rear row of bags.

The only reason it’s been deemed ‘‘insecure’’ is because the ■■■■ s have moved the goalposts.
So if they keep doing this it will get to the point where all palletised boxed/shrinkwrapped pallets will have to be loaded in a boxvan trailer only.

Where as in Realworld that load is sufficiently secure (always assuming the truck is driven properly) but Theoryworld always supercedes Realworld in this ■■■■ job, thanks to those who know the far end of ■■■■ all about it.

So now it seems we have a combination of that, and due to the fact that in past experiences of roads blocked with shed loads due to ■■■■ poor truck driving, we also have legislation that takes into account the useless excuses for drivers among us, who ‘‘drive’’ their trucks like cars, and end up on their sides on roundabouts. :unamused:

So keep strapping up your loads of palletised cardboard and the like, to within an inch of it’s life lads…, and thank the pricks, the pointy shoe crew (and now the Police :open_mouth: ) for the extra unecessary work. :imp:

I don’t understand why any of you actually care any more :confused:

Secure the load as best you can given the kit available, and crack on. If you get stopped-so what? If you get fined, pay it. If it was me, I would ask my gaffer to reimburse the fine to me and if it wasn’t refunded I have two choices; cry my eyes out or leave.

Let the industry self destruct ffs! They will soon come crawling back to us when there are no drivers… Get a backbone folks :unamused: