DAF XF 95 Fuel Problems

Please bear with me, I am not a mechanic nor an expert in trucks. I will try to explain the problem in a typical non technical terms. My 05 reg DAF XF 95 has a problem with fuel. It appears the fuel is not getting to the engine. When we manually pump the fuel, it starts fine. Then it dies. We have tried to change fuel filters and fuel pump. We have cleaned up the pipes from the tank to the engine. All this does not seem to help. Any ideas will be appreciated.

It aounds like the lift pump is failing, not the fuel pump. If you manually pump it and it takes the fuel and it works but doesn’t work mechanically I would think you need to look at the lift pump. They are a great truck. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Sct1973:
It aounds like the lift pump is failing, not the fuel pump. If you manually pump it and it takes the fuel and it works but doesn’t work mechanically I would think you need to look at the lift pump. They are a great truck. Hope you get it sorted soon.

We have changed both the lift pump and the fuel pump.

Could it be that we are not bleeding the truck properly?

Could be. You sometimes have to bleed it for a while for the fuel to come through properly. There might be air in the system.

Have you tried running it with the fuel cap off ?
If the tank can’t breath the pumps have limited drawing power .
Could be blocked cap or tank breathers .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The engine can now start and the lift pump appears to work fine. The fuel is getting to the engine. We followed Daf xf - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK steps to bleed the truck. However after 5 - 10 minutes, the engine cuts off.

The residual air seems not to be a problem now. We think it could now be an electrical problem.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

AMX:
The engine can now start and the lift pump appears to work fine. The fuel is getting to the engine. We followed Daf xf - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK steps to bleed the truck. However after 5 - 10 minutes, the engine cuts off.

The residual air seems not to be a problem now. We think it could now be an electrical problem.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

We had a similar problem, it transpired, that an injector was mis-behaveing, and it was found using Davie, each injector was switched off individually, and injector 1 wasn’t working. Replaced it ran fine after that.

Porous filter housing

I had one once with similar symptoms, the owner had changed the fuel filter element, but the old one had partially broken up and there were bits of it in the bottom of the housing.