There really are some bellends behind the wheel

I’m in lane 1 of the M6 last night at Lymme where it’s 50mph. I’m doing 50, a car is in lane 2 about half way down my trailer also doing 50 or 51 with other cars in front of that one, an artic comes up behind the car probably on his limiter, comes about a foot from the back of the car flashing his lights at it. Where did he want the want the car to go? Car is already going at the speed limit, couldn’t move back in lane one because of me, and why should he be bullied into lane 3 to then get undertaken by a truck who want to go above the temporary speed limit. It’s no wonder why we are hated by car drivers I tell you.

It’s the contradiction between lane discipline and speed limits and some being paranoid about limits and others couldn’t care less.

The car shouldn’t have been in lane 2 unless it was overtaking and obviously can’t without exceeding 50 mph and the truck driver thinks he won’t get nicked below 10% +2.

The easiest way to fix it in this case would be to remove the 10% + 2 tolerance and/or reduce the limit in lane 1 and/or increase the limit in lanes 2 and 3.The road planners and the government being at least as much to blame.

1 is all I takes. They don’t see they 90+% of good drivers on the road

Was on the hilly bit of the M1, by J22 or somewhere around there. Seen a van with an artic about 4’ off its hole doing about 60 (downhill). Orange double-decker man decides he can’t wait for van man to get in in front of me (to be fair the van was hogging lane 2) so artic man goes for lane 3. Van man continues to hog lane 2 and even flashes artic man in! :open_mouth:

A considerate van driver a something you don’t see every day, preventing the artic from staying longer in lane 3 than necessary where he might have got a pull … :slight_smile:

raymundo:
A considerate van driver a something you don’t see every day, preventing the artic from staying longer in lane 3 than necessary where he might have got a pull … :slight_smile:

Good point! :laughing:

edd1974:
1 is all I takes. They don’t see they 90+% of good drivers on the road

Unfortunately it’s not just one though, it’s a common occurance these days.

I saw something similar on Tuesday evening on the m62 east between 33and 34,50 mph speed limit down to 2 lanes and a big blue Scania flashing the car in front of him .must have put the fear of god into the car driver fog light main beam the lot

My favourites are the ones who overtake you in the roadworks when you’re keeping to 50 and you’ve overtaken them a couple of miles back. It always impresses me when they’re sitting on the bumper of a car whose driver (quite naturally) takes fright and cuts in in front of me, causing me to brake.

Thanks chaps, it’s such a hoot.

Us HGV drivers go on about “don’t go into our stopping gap” “don’t cut in front of an HGV” and all that, then they just see idiots doing things like this. So it’s ok for HGVs flashing at a car a foot away from it but then it’s not ok for a car to go into a gap for the junction. We don’t help ourselves do we really.

Obviously OP, when you saw this potentially dangerous situation unfolding next to you, you eased off a few clicks for a few seconds to create some space and help everyone out, right?

No need to do 50 in the roadworks at Lymm as there’s no cameras in them

Don’t know if its me just getting old but it now seems the norm to bully or tailgate through motorway road works. I am doing a lot of work going up and down the M6 & it scares the hell out of me watching what other drivers get up to. Lorries driving 3-4 foot behind lorry in front, totally blind, others forcing a gap by swinging about which makes car drivers hit there brakes and the list goes on & on.

People on here go on about how we are very skilled an professional drivers but sorry I have to disagree. Trucks are easy to drive now, automatic gearboxes, loads of power, powerful brakes yes they near enough drive thereselfs. Go back 20 years or more yes there was a skill, we had under powered lorries which you had to plan ahead or you were buggered when you came to a hill. double declutching the gearbox. then the brakes, you think twice about tailgating how bad some were. We are fast becomes a bunch of steering wheel attendance which is controlled by gps or micolise systems and we end up like brainless morans before long. Think some are there now!

Night-and-day:

Hope you’ve your tin hat handy for when the self righteous brigade turn up :smiley:

Night-and-day:

Now i know :laughing:

idrive:
Obviously OP, when you saw this potentially dangerous situation unfolding next to you, you eased off a few clicks for a few seconds to create some space and help everyone out, right?

That’s what a professional would do.
Unless he stuck to the 50 limit because ‘he was righteous’…

idrive:

Why would I do that?! That would be just helping the bully behind the wheel of the HGV out and giving him what he wanted. The car actually slowed down and went behind me.

the nodding donkey:

idrive:

That’s what a professional would do.
Unless he stuck to the 50 limit because ‘he was righteous’…

Professional would help a bully out would they? Ok.

It’s not about being righteous. It’s not hard to stick to a speed limit permanent or temporary, cameras or not whether you agree with it or not.

Can’t stick to a speed limit you shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a 44 tonner.

Night-and-day:

So by that theory as long as there are no cameras we can do any speed on any road?

elsa Lad:
Don’t know if its me just getting old but it now seems the norm to bully or tailgate through motorway road works. I am doing a lot of work going up and down the M6 & it scares the hell out of me watching what other drivers get up to. Lorries driving 3-4 foot behind lorry in front, totally blind, others forcing a gap by swinging about which makes car drivers hit there brakes and the list goes on & on.

People on here go on about how we are very skilled an professional drivers but sorry I have to disagree. Trucks are easy to drive now, automatic gearboxes, loads of power, powerful brakes yes they near enough drive thereselfs. Go back 20 years or more yes there was a skill, we had under powered lorries which you had to plan ahead or you were buggered when you came to a hill. double declutching the gearbox. then the brakes, you think twice about tailgating how bad some were. We are fast becomes a bunch of steering wheel attendance which is controlled by gps or micolise systems and we end up like brainless morans before long. Think some are there now!

I am so glad someone else sees it the way I do and is honest enough to admit what you think about lorry drivers today. It is so sad that our industry has such a bad name because of these selfish bullies that have no respect for anyones safety including their own. The sooner they are prosecuted on a regular basis the sooner our roads will become a lot safer.

And it aint just through roadworks, had a clown right up the backside of my car the other day. His limit was 50 and I was doing just short of 60. It did not last long though as I accelerated up to my limit.