Why are some DC office staff a bunch of fuck fuck fuck fuck

The past couple of days, I’ve arrived at a DC to find that some office staff have suddenly decided to use one of the bays as staff parking. Each time I have to go to the offices to ask them to move the cars so I can get onto the adjacent bay.

The first day, some office bod came out, gave an apologetic shrug, and moved his car.

Today, a different bloke came out and as he walked towards me, I could tell he was going to give me some attitude. He asked me what the problem was and I calmly explained that I could not get the swing to allow me to back onto the adjacent bay due to the parked cars. He then asked if I got my licence in England and when I confirmed I did, he suggested that maybe my training wasn’t very good if I did not have the skills to reverse a truck around a few parked cars.

At this point, I’d almost bitten my tongue in two trying to stay calm and not lay into him as I did not want to get banned off site. Unfortunately, this DC is a crucial point on my linehaul route. Still remaining calm, I suggested to him that it was not a lack of skills on my part. I just did not want to get myself or the truck company bogged down in paperwork if my trailer wheels should happen to take the front off his shiny car.

I went back to my truck to call my company to say I was leaving the site due to blocked access, but the jerk started to move some heavy plastic bollards to give me room to make my reverse so at least I got the satisfaction of seeing him having to sweat a bit to move them. When I did reverse, I deliberately got my trailer wheels as close to his car as I could to get him nervous.

Most days, this trucking lark is ok, but sometimes it takes just one moronic prick to upset your day (or evening in my case).

Absolutely the best course of action. People can bleat on about not being a proper driver all they like, but it’s far better to get a few cars moved with grumbling noises than getting on with it and doing some damage.

One of our old drivers had a good way to dea with this, he had made a form and simply asked the owner to sign it waivering any damage when warned that their car was in the way and they were refusing to move it

They did this at a factory in France. I used to arrive about 11am and block them in by parking so tight they couldn’t get out, or into their cars, the simplest way to upset a Frenchman is preventing them getting their dinner [emoji23]

Personally I’d have told him not to bother moving I’ll just leave the yard as there’s insufficient access.

Thing is you say it’s an important pick up for you but it’s also important for them. Don’t be afraid to be subtle and remind them of that.

Best way to do it is go into the office and say ‘Whose is the ‘colour/make’ of car,when someone claims it say sorry mate just scraped my trailer all down it but as you were parked like a ■■■■ I’m not accepting any responsibility writing off your motor you’ll just have to claim it off your own insurance as accidental damage,let them panic a bit and join them as he rushes outside in full meltdown mode once they get to get car just calmly tell him how luckily he is that you decided not to ram his car after all and instead gave him the option to move it but you won’t feel so generous next time! :sunglasses:

On a similar thing the “managers” of various Wilko store used to use the loading bays behind the store as free town centre parking, and where always too busy to come and move their car when a delivery truck came, however the odd roll cage or a pallet of compost falling off the tail lift onto the bonnet of the car usually had the desired effect of refocusing their priorities the next time they had a delivery. My best effort on the above was a double blindsided reverse onto the bay in the underground area at a the frenchgate centre in Doncaster, where I managed to crush the car up against the loading dock in a dimly lit area

Ah the joys of wilko underground store deliveries.
I ripped the door off one once.
■■■■ opened his door as I manoeuvred around him.

citycat:
The past couple of days, I’ve arrived at a DC to find that some office staff have suddenly decided to use one of the bays as staff parking. Each time I have to go to the offices to ask them to move the cars so I can get onto the adjacent bay.

The first day, some office bod came out, gave an apologetic shrug, and moved his car.

Today, a different bloke came out and as he walked towards me, I could tell he was going to give me some attitude. He asked me what the problem was and I calmly explained that I could not get the swing to allow me to back onto the adjacent bay due to the parked cars. He then asked if I got my licence in England and when I confirmed I did, he suggested that maybe my training wasn’t very good if I did not have the skills to reverse a truck around a few parked cars.

At this point, I’d almost bitten my tongue in two trying to stay calm and not lay into him as I did not want to get banned off site. Unfortunately, this DC is a crucial point on my linehaul route. Still remaining calm, I suggested to him that it was not a lack of skills on my part. I just did not want to get myself or the truck company bogged down in paperwork if my trailer wheels should happen to take the front off his shiny car.

I went back to my truck to call my company to say I was leaving the site due to blocked access, but the jerk started to move some heavy plastic bollards to give me room to make my reverse so at least I got the satisfaction of seeing him having to sweat a bit to move them. When I did reverse, I deliberately got my trailer wheels as close to his car as I could to get him nervous.

Most days, this trucking lark is ok, but sometimes it takes just one moronic prick to upset your day (or evening in my case).

What did he expect, our “profession” doesn’t seem to to be recognised as a skilled one any more. The words peanuts and monkeys spring to mind.

Surely when this was built there would be a design signed off with a risk assessment of how it should work. Now if they are using the loading area for parking a fresh risk assessment has been done and a footway marked out on the floor for the drivers of the cars to walk safely in, if they provide this it must be ok.

citycat:
I deliberately got my trailer wheels as close to his car as I could to get him nervous.

I find putting your headboard over their bonnet whilst the drive axle wheels run parallel to their bumper just millimetres from it makes the point. Not possible in your situation though looking at the photo.

The risk assessment one sounds like a good move as people doing that are likely management.

Ask for a copy of the risk asessment so you know what to look out for when delivering, plus comment on how it doesn’t seem to cover avoiding parked cars.

You could say - oh well, it’ll have to get sent back with a note and photos to the customer who’ll then get charged for a redelivery and will likely bill this customer. When thry realise they will be implicated they might shift it fast.

You could then stand there very obviously taking pics esp of the offending cars from every angle. When they ask why, tell them its to prove to the insurance that the accident was caused by the incompetant parking and thus indemnify you from any claims as its on private land. (Yeah ok its bollox but they likely dont know).

As for the poor training - ask if they have a licence and whether they want to show you how to do it…as long as they show their licence and insurance cover from their manager. Mention of manager might get them thinking.

Or just pickup the fire extinguisher since its not a weapon amd stand there, maybe glancing at their car. Could get the idea.

Why get upset if there us no access just phone your boss up?

Have you considered that their cars have been there all day and they have had lorries coming in and out with no problems, until you turned up?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

newmercman:
Have you considered that their cars have been there all day and they have had lorries coming in and out with no problems, until you turned up?

Doesn’t really matter does it…

I’m a rubbish driver. I do my best but am crap. If I explain to someone I will struggle rather than ridiculing me they can help by moving something. I’m not actually that rubbish really - I do supermarket deliveries and some are horrible. But I’m not afraid to get out and move cages/trollies if they make it harder than it has to be.

All it does is create a culture where people are afraid to ask for help - which leads to damage. I’m sure you can do things with an artic I have no chance with. But I’m also sure you’d rather me admit that than smash up your vehicle.

newmercman:

What if he only started driving a month ago, maybe doesn’t feel confident enough to reverse around cars? Not all of us were born driving gods. I had to ask a guy to move his motorcycle today as I couldn’t reverse my rigid around it without mounting the curb at the front. He said he was leaving anyway :grimacing:

If that’s the case, why rant about it on the internet?

What if there were trucks on the bays, would they have to move too?

newmercman:
If that’s the case, why rant about it on the internet?

Isn`t that what Tim Berners Lee invented the net for?

Poor bugger, brilliant invention ending up being used for videos of cats-in-hats and parking complaints.

Hmmm, Maybe he wouldn`t be too happy with my contribution to the well being of humanity via the web either…?

newmercman:

Maybe other trucks had got in without problems. However, I’ve only been driving two years and still consider myself learning, so I really didn’t want the hassle of trying to reverse my trailer wheels so close to the bonnets of those cars, especially as the second one in was an Audi A8, so I just made a polite request that they be moved, especially as they are bays that are supposed to be mean’t for trucks.

I’m certainly not ranting about it. I was just making the point that the office bloke had a poor attitude and was more interested in trying to wind me up regarding British style driving skills, when all he had to do was move the car out of the way.

Anyway, I just had one car to deal with today so I managed to get the truck in despite my supposedly ‘poor’ ability.

I saw the bloke later looking at the truck over the top of his computer screen as I drove past their window. I pretended not to notice him but casually scratched the side of my head with my middle finger as I went past.

By the way, what’s worse than a pointy shoe?

A brown pointy shoe worn with a dark suit. Or a ‘distressed look’ pointy shoe worn with jeans on the bottom half, and a suit jacket and tie worn on the top half as if the wearer couldn’t decide what he wanted to be that day. Formal or casual. Both styles unfortunately worn by the corporate Dutchman about town in distribution centres.