Failed urine test - opiate detected

I’m disappointed and angry about what must surely be a false positive.
I went for an assessment at Sainsbury’s in Basingstoke this evening and didn’t get past the urine test.
I don’t smoke and generally only have a drink at the weekend although I haven’t had a drink for a fortnight. I have taken nothing other than ibuprofen for months. My last visit to the dentist was months ago. I haven’t eaten poppy seeds to my knowledge. No codeine or even paracetamol. I’m what some would call a clean-living man.
My sample is now being sent for laboratory testing where I sincerely expect this to be shown as a false positive.
It was just a waste of everyone’s time this evening as I couldn’t proceed with the assessment due to the result of the urine test.
Apparently I’m not the only one who’s had this problem.
I don’t object to drug and alcohol testing. I just wish there was a more reliable way to test. I would have been willing to give blood if necessary.

Any Ibuprofen like Nurofen Plus or Solpadeine Migraine?

Both I think contain codeine.

Why are they still using a test that gives flawed results.? There was the guy recently who failed because there were poppy seeds on his breakfast roll. Years ago Alain Baxter was stripped of an Olympic medal for using Vick.

I knew someone who did agency work for Sainsbury’s, and they made him take a drug test because one of his mirrors was damaged using the truckwash. They then told him that as their breathalyser wasn’t working he would have to drive to another depot 60 miles away to be tested so he said “I’m not doing that, I might have been drinking”. :stuck_out_tongue:

My very last driving job came to an end while agency driving for the Co-op out of Dalcross, the evil ole cow manageress of a local shop phoned the depot and said I stank of vodka (cant drink that muck at all) so they phoned me and asked me to wait to be tested if I agreed at my next drop. Test proved negative as I knew it would but I asked for a lift back to pick up my car to go home as I wasn’t prepared to work for them anymore after that. Best decision I made as I got a phone call the next day asking if I was available immediately to go drive a ship for much more financial returns … lucky break :slight_smile:

alamcculloch:
Why are they still using a test that gives flawed results.? There was the guy recently who failed because there were poppy seeds on his breakfast roll. Years ago Alain Baxter was stripped of an Olympic medal for using Vick.

The tests used are indeed flawed, but are cheaper and quicker than the ones done in laboratories. Imagine taking a sample today then locking you up before starting your shift in 3 days time when the results come in.
This seems to be for an assessment but if you’re an employee it depends on how you’re treated after getting a first negative on a breath test. If you’re suspended on pay that’s one thing, if sent home on zero pay that’s summat else.
Breath/blood /urine/hair tests also show different time scales of drug use. Breath shows only what has recently been ingested . Hair shows what has been taken maybe months before.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Was it a basic test kit? That kind of stuff does happen with those from time to time. The lab test should show whether it’s false positive or not, if not then the most likely explanation is you’ve had an incidental exposure. Then from there it’s a case of either trying to argue your case with them or moving on and waiting for it to pass.

alamcculloch:
. Years ago Alain Baxter was stripped of an Olympic medal for using Vick.

IIRC he bought in America & failed to tell them he used it

animal:

alamcculloch:
. Years ago Alain Baxter was stripped of an Olympic medal for using Vick.

IIRC he bought in America & failed to tell them he used it

It was because he used it in the UK and the product sold in the UK did not contain anything that was banned / would foul up an athletes drug test. The product sold in America did contain a substance that was banned and Alain made the mistake of assuming it was the same as the UK version, same brand, packaging etc. It was not and after winning a bronze medal in the slalom skiing at the Salt Lake City winter olympics he failed a drugs test and they subsequently took the medal off him, although he was allowed to compete again after an appeal the medal was never reinstated. As I remember he was very unusual in that he used to ski the competitions without a helmet, most people did wear them but at the time it was not a rule. Brave man, when you see those slalom poles whip back :open_mouth:

We had a driver recently fail a drug test. He’d been taking cocodomol. Jammy git got 2 weeks off on full pay while they waited for the blood test results.

I know what I’m doing if I get called in for a test…

Ziltoid:
We had a driver recently fail a drug test. He’d been taking cocodomol. Jammy git got 2 weeks off on full pay while they waited for the blood test results.

I was talking to a driver who works for Iceland at Warrington and he was telling me that they are routinely drug tested for even the most minor incident. He went on to tell me that a lot of the drivers carry cocodemol in their day bags and if they have any incident they toss a handful of these down their necks, they consequently fail the drugs test and are immediately suspended on full pay. It takes around a fortnight for an outside agency to confirm the presence of prescription drugs and they are consequently reinstated after a fortnight off. A classic case of beating “them” with their own stick!

the maoster:

Ziltoid:

I was talking to a driver who works for Iceland at Warrington and he was telling me that they are routinely drug tested for even the most minor incident. He went on to tell me that a lot of the drivers carry cocodemol in their day bags and if they have any incident they toss a handful of these down their necks, they consequently fail the drugs test and are immediately suspended on full pay. It takes around a fortnight for an outside agency to confirm the presence of prescription drugs and they are consequently reinstated after a fortnight off. A classic case of beating “them” with their own stick!

Not being pedantic but, unless they had a prescription, they would be taking non-prescription co codamol. If they were taking prescription only drugs, but without a prescription then that opens another can of worms. Presumably these outside agencies /labs would flag that up and you would be asked to show your prescription ?

In fairness even if it got proved to be a false positive or whatever I’d not bother working there as I’d always feel like I’d be being watched etc etc.

I used to do some casual driving for SOL when I worked in a prison. Good job I didn’t get tested as I spent many a shift inhaling cannabis smoke.

Ziltoid:

Going down the travel agents to book a holiday to benidorm by chance??

manski:

the maoster:

Ziltoid:

Not being pedantic but, unless they had a prescription, they would be taking non-prescription co codamol. If they were taking prescription only drugs, but without a prescription then that opens another can of worms. Presumably these outside agencies /labs would flag that up and you would be asked to show your prescription ?

You only need a prescription for the 30/500 cocodamol. 8/500 you can buy over the counter without a script

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

peirre:

Ziltoid:

Haha! Coming back with a tan would be an extra bold move, I think!

manski:

You may very well be correct, but in my defence I did receive the information from a lorry driver, not from the pages of Lancet. :wink:

Ziltoid:

peirre:

Ziltoid:

Haha! Coming back with a tan would be an extra bold move, I think!

Tell em you where bored & alone at home while the Mrs was at work so you tested her sunbed to boost your immune system, just don’t post selfies on the internet on Facebook etc

Some of these tests are a shambles…

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … ndled.html