Would you take this on the road?

Here’s the scenario. you’ve been told by your transport office to take a Double Deck trailer, loaded with stock to be delivered to a location.

The trailer does not carry any notices or labels on either the body or curtains that it is EN12642XL compliant. Also, the only internal restraint are hanging straps over the swan neck and side nets for the main decks. These also do not have any compliance or load bearing labels.

Would you take this on the road with no additional form of restraint?

I say, no. As it does not appear to conform to EN12642XL, the existing curtains can not be regarded as restraint, neither can the side nets. Therefore additional restraint would be required (e.g. rave to rave ratchet straps).

I would refuse to take this on the road as is.

Who agrees/disagrees?

Cheers
Nez

I can’t believe the straps and nets don’t have labels showing rated strength.

There maybe some exceptions but in general the job of curtains is only to stop the load getting wet and internal load securing depends on ratings of the equipment provided and anchorage.The roof not fitting the definition of decent anchorage to stop a heavy load of pallets for example regardless.

Don’t refuse to take it straight off the bat, but ask for 26 ratchet straps and a tall mobile ladder, then let them take the decisions.

Ffs :unamused:

If the lights/brakes/tyres are ok and the load is strapped, put your key in the ignition and crack on.

I’ve never known such a bunch of bone idle/terrified (delete as applicable) knobs in all my days.

I thought we are truck drivers? Maybe the ’ title ’ should be amended to ’ Fearful and weak attendants '…

Nezza:
Here’s the scenario. you’ve been told by your transport office to take a Double Deck trailer, loaded with stock to be delivered to a location.

The trailer does not carry any notices or labels on either the body or curtains that it is EN12642XL compliant. Also, the only internal restraint are hanging straps over the swan neck and side nets for the main decks. These also do not have any compliance or load bearing labels.

Would you take this on the road with no additional form of restraint?

I say, no. As it does not appear to conform to EN12642XL, the existing curtains can not be regarded as restraint, neither can the side nets. Therefore additional restraint would be required (e.g. rave to rave ratchet straps).

I would refuse to take this on the road as is.

Who agrees/disagrees?

Cheers
Nez

Aint got a scooby mate wtf EN123456 or whatever is, but if the load aint strapped, paired with you don’t know what’s is in it, and considering that these days you even have to strap up cardboard to prevent the wrath of Satan coming down on you, …no I maybe wouldn’t.
But what’s to stop you opening the curtains and strapping it up yourself? (Or am I missing something here? :blush: )

Stock?

No one can answer your question unless you say what the stock is and roughly what weight each pallet or item is?

If we are talking palletised stock than quite possible the straps are nets are absolutely fine. If by stock you mean loose scaffolding poles or sheets of steel or stacks of timber then not a chance it should be taken on internals and nets.

DickyNick:
Stock?

No one can answer your question unless you say what the stock is and roughly what weight each pallet or item is?

If we are talking palletised stock than quite possible the straps are nets are absolutely fine. If by stock you mean loose scaffolding poles or sheets of steel or stacks of timber then not a chance it should be taken on internals and nets.

Sorry, palatalised and cages.

Rough weight?

I’d think it would be find on internals and net though in that case

eagerbeaver:

If the lights/brakes/tyres are ok and the load is strapped, put your key in the ignition and crack on.

I’ve never known such a bunch of bone idle/terrified (delete as applicable) knobs in all my days.

I thought we are truck drivers? Maybe the ’ title ’ should be amended to ’ Fearful and weak attendants '…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
if your paid from the neck down,then ask all the other drivers have they taken it before.,then get on with it.

eagerbeaver:

To be fair it’s not about being a weak attendant. It’s more that DVSA have changed and like to fine a driver for not having a load of paper cups fully strapped. When things are like that it’s not about being fearful and weak. It’s about covering yourself to save yourself £100

If it’s a retailer own account work (and I’d guess a particular orange and blue discount one) you’ll just have to ■■■■ it up or find another job.

Our place is a backdoor tip on a loading bay we have plenty of curtainsiders in and when we open the roller shutter on the bay the majority have no straps or internals on the pallets just like they have done for decades without ever killing anyone.

Own Account Driver:
If it’s a retailer own account work (and I’d guess a particular orange and blue discount one) you’ll just have to ■■■■ it up or find another job.

Our place is a backdoor tip on a loading bay we have plenty of curtainsiders in and when we open the roller shutter on the bay the majority have no straps or internals on the pallets just like they have done for decades without ever killing anyone.

It’s just a shame that in recent years DVSA have decided the laws of physics have change and pallets have suddenly started falling off lorries through curtains if they aren’t strapped :unamused:

Own Account Driver:

I know what you’re saying mate, we all used to run around with the back 2 pallets cross strapped and I don’t recall any mass murder resulting from it. :unamused:
However as DN says, these ■■■■■ make these rules, and without any bearing on the real world, so if you don’t play their stupid games (ignoring the fact that in real terms they rather you didn’t, to make more cash :bulb: ) you end up forking out your hard earned.
So that, …and combined with the fact I’m on hourly pay, I strap every bloody thing these days…why let these ■■■■ s win?

robroy:

Own Account Driver:

I know what you’re saying mate, we all used to run around with the back 2 pallets cross strapped and I don’t recall any mass murder resulting from it. :unamused:
However as DN says, these [zb] make these rules, and without any bearing on the real world, so if you don’t play their stupid games (ignoring the fact that in real terms they rather you didn’t, to make more cash :bulb: ) you end up forking out your hard earned.
So that, …and combined with the fact I’m on hourly pay, I strap every bloody thing these days…why let these [zb] s win?

Exactly, use what’s on there and ask a pointy-shoe if it’s okay. If they say yes, take it. All this curtains are only there for weather protection is rubbish, we all know that.

The point is, to make it hard for them as they have been doing to us for many years.

Make a point of asking a manager (preferably in front of a group of others) if it’s all legal and safe. When they say yes, thank them and get in with the job. If it goes well, great, if it goes wrong, you have somebody to point the finger at.

It’s not something I enjoy doing, but it’s how things are, sadly.

These also do not have any compliance or load bearing labels.

my 2 new trailers are ENXL approved, i dont have load bearing labels on the internal straps

eagerbeaver:

+1, and thats why ive not buying any more trucks, bring on driverless trucks the sooner the better

I got told when I worked at a firm that ran double deckers that you need w harness to go on the top deck :laughing: :laughing:. I think they was just annoyed we was using the straps to swing down and climb up. :stuck_out_tongue: FYI it fudging hurts when those straps hit you in the head.

Also I remember pulling on the curtain strap to move the curtain back and the fudging strap gave way never hit the floor so hard really hurt.
Doubledeckers are fun. :grimacing:

burnley-si:

eagerbeaver:

+1, and thats why ive not buying any more trucks, bring on driverless trucks the sooner the better

Ok, but from my pov I’m the last person to back up and agree with all this h&s/rules for rules sake/keeping up appearances ■■■■■■■■, trust me on that,.(and I do tend to agree with Beaver on this up to a point.)
But…
Unlike you I aint an owner driver, I’m employed, so the way I see it is just play along with their stupid games, keep your head down accept their pay for doing so, but don’t give the bastds an excuse to fine, discipline or sack me, so maybe you’re being a bit unfair on your general opinion of drivers.

Nezza:
Also, the only internal restraint are hanging straps over the swan neck and side nets for the main decks.

That will do pig :wink:

If that is what the company has fitted use nothing more and get the load to the location!