UK container haulage on the brink

Carryfast:

kr79:
I’ve never done boxes but always been of the impression unless your on direct for shipping lines rates are very low and lots of waiting about and there’s always more willing victims to have there pants pulled down to say they have there own lorry

If it’s all short haul work that can only mean a much higher proportion of waiting/loading/tipping time taken out of a working day of the truck.With little chance of the customer wanting to pay for it in the form of an hourly rate,or a much higher mileage rate,for local work.

Surprised that anyone ‘owning their own lorry’ would accept such work and guessing that hauling directly for the shipping lines by definition means being able to turn down too many local runs and obviously having nothing whatsoever to do with short haul inter modal road rail operations ?.

Everyone I know who has done boxes has said only way to make it pay is stay local as rates on mileage are so low fuel takes up to much of the revenue

I believe to be in direct for the shipping line you need to be running 20+ trucks and will make both long and short haul pay. By the time an agent or two has taken a cut the rates are pretty rubbish.