Brown Trouser Moffett Waltzer

Now this guy definitely shouldn’t have driven out from behind the truck, on a Moffett, either forks first or with them raised but I do feel the pickup driver seems a bit negligent on speed and observation given the truck is clearly in the process of being unloaded on an industrial estate. He seems to pass very close at quite some speed. If the seatbelt hadn’t kept in in the Moffett and he’d been thrown out and the more seriously injured I do wonder if the court case would have gone quite the same way.

walesonline.co.uk/news/loca … k-14762830

It still makes you wonder why the soldier was driving like a ■■■■ on an industrial estate where pedestrians, lorries and forklift trucks are common place.

Wheel Nut:
It still makes you wonder why the soldier was driving like a [zb] on an industrial estate where pedestrians, lorries and forklift trucks are common place.

Indeed, fairly obvious if the curtains are open there is going to be people FLTs about.

I think if the Moffet driver had attempted to peep and creep in reverse so his forks weren’t exposed the incident wouldn’t have happened.

Also if he did it a few feet further back he’d see any incoming traffic sooner.

The problem with being a professional at anything is all the things you’ve signed and agreed cover your bosses not you. The boss and the defence will usually say should have known better.

It’s a shame this guy lost his vocational licence because of his work and not his driving. I think a condition thay he doesn’t use a Moffet in future would be fair. No need to ■■■■■■■ his income.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Having watched the video a few times, i think the wagon driver is totally in the wrong. I cant make out if his hazards were on either. Unhooks the mounty but doesn’t seem to stop, just pulls straight out.

The pickup driver doesn’t know that it’s a self unload and not a forklift coming to unload it. The responsibility, imho, is with the mounty driver to make sure it us safe to pull out from behind his truck.

It has obviously had a profound effect on the driver as he has chosen not to renew his licence, but on the flip side, the soldiers future career in the Army is now in doubt.

I reckon he was on the phone or something. The Moffett was at an angle that it seems like it wasn’t just the forks visible but he didn’t seem to take any avoiding action.

Problem with a Moffett is unless you rev the ■■■■ off the engine the forks don’t lower or raise or retract very quickly at all it’s hard to avoid a tendency to drive round with them raised if you’re going to take a pallet straight off. I bet you could film hundreds of unloads and no drivers would lower the forks right down only to raise them again when they got 10 ft round the corner to take a pallet off.

Wheel Nut:
It still makes you wonder why the soldier was driving like a [zb] on an industrial estate where pedestrians, lorries and forklift trucks are common place.

You must be really clever if you can work out his speed from that video. The first car did go past the truck slowly, but we don’t know that it hadn’t just pulled out of a side road or parking space.

I sympathise with the mounty driver, but it was his actions that led to the accident. If it was an emergency service vehicle going past with its lights but no sirens, would that have been any different?

madmackem:
Having watched the video a few times, i think the wagon driver is totally in the wrong. I cant make out if his hazards were on either. Unhooks the mounty but doesn’t seem to stop, just pulls straight out.

The pickup driver doesn’t know that it’s a self unload and not a forklift coming to unload it. The responsibility, imho, is with the mounty driver to make sure it us safe to pull out from behind his truck.

It has obviously had a profound effect on the driver as he has chosen not to renew his licence, but on the flip side, the soldiers future career in the Army is now in doubt.

He’ll get a huge compensation, given a lorry licence before he marches out. Never to be shot at again. The driver ‘shortage’ balances itself.

madmackem:

The Moffett drivers actions were definitely not safest practice and somewhat negligent but I feel the soldier was negligent to some fairly similar degree too. I do think it’s a worrying trend with accidents that court cases seem to ignore fair and balanced forensic analysis of evidence and opt for a sort of injury Top Trumps strategy.

As I was saying in the OP if the soldier was fine and the Moffett driver paralysed he’d probably be having the book thrown at him for driving without due care and attention.

Chillidoritos:

madmackem:

He’ll get a huge compensation, given a lorry licence before he marches out. Never to be shot at again. The driver ‘shortage’ balances itself.

“Given a lorry licence”? Fairly sure that’s not how it works. He may be fortunate to want to do something that isn’t effected by his injured arm, or equally he could have been looking for a long term career in the military. He would stand to lose a lot if money if he is discharged, and can almost guarantee the compensation won’t cover that.

Chillidoritos:
I think if the Moffet driver had attempted to peep and creep in reverse so his forks weren’t exposed the incident wouldn’t have happened.

Also if he did it a few feet further back he’d see any incoming traffic sooner.

The problem with being a professional at anything is all the things you’ve signed and agreed cover your bosses not you. The boss and the defence will usually say should have known better.

It’s a shame this guy lost his vocational licence because of his work and not his driving. I think a condition thay he doesn’t use a Moffet in future would be fair. No need to ■■■■■■■ his income.

Have to admit I’ve been trying to peep and creep out on one sometimes and failed to stop simply from trying to stop the moffett with right foot braking having not adapted from driving the wagon to a vehicle with no brake pedal. (for anyone who hasn’t been on one you brake by reversing with the heel of your left foot on a paddle type pedal.)

madmackem:

Wheel Nut:

You must be really clever if you can work out his speed from that video. The first car did go past the truck slowly, but we don’t know that it hadn’t just pulled out of a side road or parking space.

I sympathise with the mounty driver, but it was his actions that led to the accident. If it was an emergency service vehicle going past with its lights but no sirens, would that have been any different?

I’m not really clever working out his speed, I’m reasonably clever at reading and understanding the damage to the vehicles and the injuries the trained soldier got.

This was a long thread when it first happened about rights and wrongs of the HGV driver and the driver of the pick up

Wheel Nut:

madmackem:

Wheel Nut:

I’m not really clever working out his speed, I’m reasonably clever at reading and understanding the damage to the vehicles and the injuries the trained soldier got.

This was a long thread when it first happened about rights and wrongs of the HGV driver and the driver of the pick up

Obviously didn’t realise there’d been a thread before (bet the title wasn’t as good anyway). I’d say a fair old speed too given the way it tossed the Moffett around and it probably has the fat part of a ton weight advantage over the pickup.

madmackem:

Chillidoritos:

madmackem:

“Given a lorry licence”? Fairly sure that’s not how it works. He may be fortunate to want to do something that isn’t effected by his injured arm, or equally he could have been looking for a long term career in the military. He would stand to lose a lot if money if he is discharged, and can almost guarantee the compensation won’t cover that.

If you want a lorry licence on the army the test is more relaxed. We had a class 1 driver straight from the army who couldn’t drive a rigid. We’ve also had several who can drive a bit better… They’re all handed a license, often with ADR.

[/quote]
If you want a lorry licence on the army the test is more relaxed. We had a class 1 driver straight from the army who couldn’t drive a rigid. We’ve also had several who can drive a bit better… They’re all handed a license, often with ADR.

[/quote]
My son has just taken his, and it was a civilian firm teaching him, and a civilian tester as well. I did have military testers when i took Cat C and my C+E. I did my ADR in the military, but the certificate was raised by a civilian organisation, the same that would produce yours if you took it.

madmackem:

Wheel Nut:

I’m pretty sure an emergency services driver would have reacted to the potential hazards presented by a truck with its curtains open, parked at the side of the road on an industrial estate, opposite a business entrance. And they aren’t it just it might have a Moffet forklift coming from behind.

Lorry drivers fault, I think. He should not have gone forks first - he should have turned around which would have given him better visibilty and he wouldn’t have been shoving two steel prongs blind into the opposite carriageway.

Both at fault but anyone saying the pick up wasn’t speeding or driving to fast for the conditions whichever you prefer wants to go to spec savers.

FLT driver should have come out onto the road backwards so his forms don’t pose a problem and can see what’s happening.

Pickup driver should have been aware of the hazard on the road, regardless of whether hazard lights were on or not, it’s an industrial area, curtains are open. Driving to thr speed limit or hazards would have stopped this happening as would operating thr FLT properly.

It would only be the same is a person or child walked out from behind the truck the same scenario, if there is a hazard slow the flip down.

It’s a good job he wasn’t delivering carpets then, a Moffat with a javelin or a 20’ Broadloom hung on the pole

It takes two to create an accident…