Regular agency job gone belly up! ***URGENT***

I’ve just been informed by my agency that whilst I was off on doing my first attempt at my C+E that the client I regularly work for had introduced a PDA-based system. However, since I have not been trained on it yet (and the person who does the training has to come down from Glasgow in order to perform it) I have been sidelined from the job for the forseeable future. :imp: :imp:

PDA system, be glad your gone!

Hope something pops up for you though.

One of the many joys working for an agency! The client can just switch you off at the flick of a switch.

Garbo2018:
One of the many joys working for an agency! The client can just switch you off at the flick of a switch.

As you can do to them as well.

You’ll find other work easy enough at this time of year mate, either with the agency ur with or go elsewhere .

Best time of year to find yourself summat better then mate, hopefully a full time job, oh and don’t forger to tell 'em which way round and where to insert said PDA when they suddenly find they need you.

Have a look at getting on tankers this is a busy time for the heating oil companies.Look at the certas energy website or similar

What’s a PDA based system?

Harry Monk:

Basically, a hand-held device which logs all your deliveries and/or collections.

Harry Monk:

“Personal Digital Assistant” - those hand-held widgets that look like a bloated mobile phone. The day’s run is typically downloaded onto it and it then tracks your progress through the day. You’ll also get the customer to sign on the screen rather than on a paper delivery note and it will also be used to pass messages and updates to you.

I’m not sure how much “training” you would need to use one - most drivers seem able to pick up the basics in about five minutes.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

XPO use a pda based system.
My training consisted of a ten minute “heres how it works” by the transport jockey.
How complicated is it?

Roymondo:

Harry Monk:

“Personal Digital Assistant” - those hand-held widgets that look like a bloated mobile phone. The day’s run is typically downloaded onto it and it then tracks your progress through the day. You’ll also get the customer to sign on the screen rather than on a paper delivery note and it will also be used to pass messages and updates to you.

I’m not sure how much “training” you would need to use one - most drivers seem able to pick up the basics in about five minutes.

I have been on jobs before which use PDAs. As you say, you can master them fairly easily.

So, I don’t know what’s so special about theirs. It’s not like you need a masters degree in quantum physics to operate one.

Garbo2018:

Roymondo:

Harry Monk:

I have been on jobs before which use PDAs. As you say, you can master them fairly easily.

So, I don’t know what’s so special about theirs. It’s not like you need a masters degree in quantum physics to operate one.

You need “their” training. If they don’t you could mess up as much as you want with them unable to do anything as you are not 'trained"

why does this topic have URGENT

tommymanc:

Possibly because the poor guy has effectively been put out of a job and needs to work.

Where exactly are you based?

I’m going a bit of agency at a place that has something that uses ‘microlise’ which is basically a tablet. I have to fill in paperwork anyway so chose not to bother with it. And they seem to accept that in the office (whilst also grumbling about it).

I’m sure if you state a location then someone will be able to help you slot into another agency gig. I’ve found everytime an agency job went south a much better opportunity came up. I’m sure the same will happen for you.

tommymanc:

What else would you do if you lost a regular job out of the blue on a Sunday afternoon?

If they are a half decent agency they should be able to give you something else for Monday, although they might be struggling for class 1 as a lot of places are still reluctant to take on very new passes. But class 2 work should at least be out there to fill the gap. If you’ve got ADR that should help. Pallet places seem to struggle to get ADR drivers.

Fuel places mentioned sound like a good option although likely mostly class 2, but its all money.

If you’re fairly new to class 1, it might be the agency haven’t pointed this out (they’re good at that) and someone just twigged. Suspect the company is just making excuses to be honest and agency will pass that excuse on as I’ve never been trained with a PDA - just handed it and told to get on. That’s assuming the blinking PDA even works.

Hopefully someone didn’t turn in Monday and you’ll get the call, or they forgot someone is on holiday.

sammym:
Where exactly are you based?

I’m going a bit of agency at a place that has something that uses ‘microlise’ which is basically a tablet. I have to fill in paperwork anyway so chose not to bother with it. And they seem to accept that in the office (whilst also grumbling about it).

I’m sure if you state a location then someone will be able to help you slot into another agency gig. I’ve found everytime an agency job went south a much better opportunity came up. I’m sure the same will happen for you.

Stockton-on-Tees (Fairfield). But willing to work anywhere on Teesside, County Durham or North Yorkshire.

Did you pass the C+E? Containerships at Haverton Hill used to take newbies.