Volvo tipper FM12 460 bhp engine?

Hello

Newbie here, Anyone had experience with a tipper on a 46O bhp engine? What are the advantages and drawbacks, reliability issues and diesel consumption. They are a rare bunch, plenty of 400 and 420 bhp’s around but not 460’s. Came across a 2005 460 fm12 tipper for sale and was thinking of purchasing for a few heavy load quarry jobs.

cheers

Ray

Gotta ask yourself why it was ordered with the unusual power output, was it a flagship or because it was destined for a hard life. If I remember correctly, 460 upwards had a dual-plate clutch, something to bear in mind for clues to its history and condition.

That said, Volvos are bloody good motors, and can take just about anything you can throw at them.

Drempels:
Gotta ask yourself why it was ordered with the unusual power output, was it a flagship or because it was destined for a hard life. If I remember correctly, 460 upwards had a dual-plate clutch, something to bear in mind for clues to its history and condition.

That said, Volvos are bloody good motors, and can take just about anything you can throw at them.

If your thinking"duel clutch" it’s only been out 2years on 540hp, expensive option, but a lovely smooth gear change, that 460 be a std I-shift.

biggriffin:

Drempels:

If your thinking"duel clutch" it’s only been out 2years on 540hp, expensive option, but a lovely smooth gear change, that 460 be a std I-shift.

I’m not.

lmr.com/products/what-is-a-dual-disc-clutch

Not Volvo, but nice piccie.
As Drempels says:
Dual plate (single) clutch. Not a dual clutch.
As fitted to some conventional gearboxes, not dual input gearboxes.

I presume this Volvo is non add blue.Volvo have had major problems world wide with add blue and it is the Operators that have so far picked up the mega bills.

Gardner6LYT:
I presume this Volvo is non add blue.Volvo have had major problems world wide with add blue and it is the Operators that have so far picked up the mega bills.

The V4 throw up, ad-blue bad quality reduce power in 10hrs, it’s either the two lamda sensors 1 in exhaust box, or 1 in the outlet pipe, so both get changed £650, for both, or the dosing unit is being silly, ours have all been both sensors.