Bath clean air zone to charge £100 for LGV`S

Bath is planning to charge £9 per day for older cars and £100 for lorries that are older, the planned area is quite big, and will include the A36 freight route which bypasses the city center.
The local tv interviewed the general public on their opinions and the future proposals, the uneducated voiced their views, one lady said that commercial vehicles should pay and not cars for bimbling around ,

The carrier that needs to use the clean air route, may only need to use the road for a 100 meters to get to the delivery point for one pallet, the profit is gone for that drop.

A RHA spokesman said hauliers make £ 70 profit per week, and i am not sure how he attained those figures. In my opinion
delivery costs will be passed on the customer, if the drop is inside the zone .
Bath is like a dome, and pollution is stuck in the dome, the lady who said only lorries should pay, is not living in the real world, it is the cars causing the pollution due to pointless journeys, clogging up the roads to all cities.

Do not forget the do gooders and tree huggers that stopped the plans for a bus/tram route on the Eastern side, due to the view being spoilt, then the park and ride for Batheaston, due the pretty meadows turned in to a car park .

Deliver by Chinook. Win win all round, reduced congestion, the rotors blow the polution away, store staff get some exercise unpacking the containers. And those who gain the most benefit pay in increased product costs.

The only thing that surpises me is the reluctance to go for udi & keep all the oiks & plebs out of thier fair city.

Include delivery Van’s in the scheme and watch Mrs Miggins squirm when her free next day Amazon delivery isnt free anymore.

Personally I’d like to see every haulier refuse to deliver to these cities with ridiculous charges. They’d die within days.

Sounds like a great reason to drop the two customers we have in Bath, crap drops with very little profit made, especially as with one of them we have to waste an hour waiting for them to open!! I never liked Bath anyway, complete pile of a town.

I’d gladly pay £100 to pollute the air in bath rather than part with my beloved euro 2 Foden or rather pass it on to the customer ,for the odd time I’ll have the misfortune of going south or near bath I’ll keep a good reliable lorry over a new pile of crap that will no doubt make £100 look cheap ,compare the £100 to the cost of nox censors and add blue ect ect ?

Punchy Dan:
I’d gladly pay £100 to pollute the air in bath rather than part with my beloved euro 2 Foden or rather pass it on to the customer ,for the odd time I’ll have the misfortune of going south or near bath I’ll keep a good reliable lorry over a new pile of crap that will no doubt make £100 look cheap ,compare the £100 to the cost of nox censors and add blue ect ect ?

Well said Dan, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Well said Dan, Regards Larry.

Thankyou Larry ,p.s your man mr snowdon a real haulage man :sunglasses:

toby1234abc:
the lady who said only lorries should pay, is not living in the real world, it is the cars causing the pollution due to pointless journeys, clogging up the roads to all cities.

This.

Got to love it. Hammer the easy target hauliers (that mostly operate modern clean vehicles these days anyway), so the the entitled commuters can carry on clogging up the roads one person per air conditioned hatchback.

What we should really have is expensive congestion charging for private vehicles into all cities, with all revenues ploughed into quality public transport infrastructure. Lorries requiring access for deliveries, should be exempt as their contribution to pollution is small vs. all the bloody cars. Mass commuting via private car into towns & cities is an unsustainable disaster.

rob22888:

toby1234abc:
the lady who said only lorries should pay, is not living in the real world, it is the cars causing the pollution due to pointless journeys, clogging up the roads to all cities.

This.

Got to love it. Hammer the easy target hauliers (that mostly operate modern clean vehicles these days anyway), so the the entitled commuters can carry on clogging up the roads one person per air conditioned hatchback.

What we should really have is expensive congestion charging for private vehicles into all cities, with all revenues ploughed into quality public transport infrastructure. Lorries requiring access for deliveries, should be exempt as their contribution to pollution is small vs. all the bloody cars. Mass commuting via private car into towns & cities is an unsustainable disaster.

Slight problem with that, if the the expensive charges are to deter private vehicles, and they are deterred then you don’t get the revenue for your quality public transport.

098Joe:

rob22888:

toby1234abc:

This.

Slight problem with that, if the the expensive charges are to deter private vehicles, and they are deterred then you don’t get the revenue for your quality public transport.

You can’t deter them until there is an alternative. Until that point they have to pay. That or until it costs more to get to work than you can earn of course…

Meanwhile in China they are building 34 mile bridges in 7 years.
And we are doing all we can to suppress development and innovation.
How can we compete on the global stage if we constantly shoot our own business in our own country in the foot like this? Sure we need to do something about air pollution but we also need to try and do it in such a way that doesn’t screw over businesses unnecessary.

Lots of cities are introducing these zones from 2020. However many vehicles will be exempt depending on their age/Euro rating. Depending on the city these are generally
Petrol cars and vans Euro 4 (2006)
Diesel cars and vans Euro 6 (2015)
HGVs Euro 6 (2013)
Vintage cars over 40 years old

Leeds have decided against any charge on vans and domestic cars due to most being exempt.

Those that will be hit the hardest will be smaller businesses who can’t afford to upgrade to more recent vehicle standards, even if grants are available to help, and those with diesel cars (e.g. taxi drivers).
The poorest domestic households will also be hit hard where cars are not exempt. Many run older cars due to the cost of buying a newer one being out of their price bracket.

Magicmikew:
Lots of cities are introducing these zones from 2020. However many vehicles will be exempt depending on their age/Euro rating. Depending on the city these are generally
Petrol cars and vans Euro 4 (2006)
Diesel cars and vans Euro 6 (2015)
HGVs Euro 6 (2013)
Vintage cars over 40 years old

Leeds have decided against any charge on vans and domestic cars due to most being exempt.

Those that will be hit the hardest will be smaller businesses who can’t afford to upgrade to more recent vehicle standards, even if grants are available to help, and those with diesel cars (e.g. taxi drivers).
The poorest domestic households will also be hit hard where cars are not exempt. Many run older cars due to the cost of buying a newer one being out of their price bracket.

going to keep driving my Triumph Herald then!
what about ‘classic’ trucks…are they exempt?

Look like I am delivering round all the rural drops then, no more city centres for me and my Euro 4? 2011 MAN. Yay!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We have loads of customers in Bath, ironically the council themselves is one of our main contracts there…
Guess not anymore, as all our lorries are older than 2006.
Ah well, place is a crap hole anyway.

I want to know how the council vehicles will figure in this, eg: all their diesel vans, bin lorries, roadwork trucks etc.

Real reason for all this is so the posh people can drive their stupid 4x4 and SUVs without the air pollution increasing anymore due to the lack of trucks. Although they’ll have to drive out of town to actually find an open business.

The rediculous thing is, when you drive into bath off the A46 onto the A4 and have to sit in that huge backlog of traffic all the way into to the centre, it’s pretty much all cars. You might see a handful of lorries, but they are certainly nowhere near the majority.

I deliver to the Monkton schools three times a week but I drive a 17 plate 15t Merc so I guess that would meet any clean air rules?
In my opinion, traffic would flow alright if it wasn’t for all the traffic lights, biased towards pedestrians.
As a side, the new company trucknav throws a wobbly when trying to get to the two Monkton schools; Doesn’t like me accessing via weight limits but tries to send me down stupidly narrow roads.

Would be nice to give every one of the places (especially London) exactly what they want.

They hate lorries for all manner of reasons so why bring them in?

We dont want you here! Right you are, come and pick your stuff up yourselves.

Hey, I can dream… :smiley:

anisboy:
Sounds like a great reason to drop the two customers we have in Bath, crap drops with very little profit made, especially as with one of them we have to waste an hour waiting for them to open!! I never liked Bath anyway, complete pile of a town.

You obviously have never spent any leisure time in Bath then.