Private HGV taxation

Hi All,

New here and probably a stupid question.
Sold our 7.5T kart racetruck and replacing with 18t.
Not a business as its our sport and hobby ad find we need to carry more and more to circuits for son and friends to race.
So question is do we need an Operators license if it is taxed as Private HGV?

Thanks all.

No, none needed at all.

Thanks Conor, guess it falls into lower tax category too, bugger as had to tax it before collection tomorrow :wink:
Does that mean we would only need to get it MOT once per year and no 12 week checks?
Thanks for your help.

Technically it depends if you are profiting from racing I believe such as sponsorship.
Also transporting other people’s cars will complicate things further.
See private HGVs with “not for hire or reward” on the door but apparently this has no legal basis.
Also gets more complicated above 7.5t I believe

If you’re not profiting from the sport you don’t need an operators licence but as the vehicle will be over 7.5t you will need to comply with all EU tachograph regulations.

Thanks guys, no not profiting, but thought that was the case on the tacho.

Colin

Could it not be done as a mobile workshop. Think you might have to have a cooker and toilet fitted or something to comply.

Will have day room and kitchen, thought of getting it listed as a Motorhome again but will have a tailift and told that was a no no by DVLA?

Colin

swiss_hutless:
Thanks Conor, guess it falls into lower tax category too, bugger as had to tax it before collection tomorrow :wink:
Does that mean we would only need to get it MOT once per year and no 12 week checks?
Thanks for your help.

Sounds like you’ve paid £280 or £650 ? Send it back and change the tax class then you could get it for £185 iirc private Hgv or would it be private Hgv / light goods £220 ? .

There’s a guide on the Gov website " Guide to horse box owners" or similar. I’d put link but on my phone. Look that up much of it will answer your questions.

Sent from my X5pro using Tapatalk

Here is a link to the guide: assets.publishing.service.gov.u … owners.pdf

tachograph:
If you’re not profiting from the sport you don’t need an operators licence but as the vehicle will be over 7.5t you will need to comply with all EU tachograph regulations.

I dunno if they have relaxed it a bit now but a while ago the Vostapo were taking the view that if one of the horsey set received so much as a rosette at a “most moth-eaten nag of the year” contest then they were profiting from it.

Harry Monk:

tachograph:

I dunno if they have relaxed it a bit now but a while ago the Vostapo were taking the view that if one of the horsey set received so much as a rosette at a “most moth-eaten nag of the year” contest then they were profiting from it.

I think you’ll find that was repeatedly said by a member here but I don’t believe it’s ever been the policy of the DVSA.

In fact I’m sure the DVSA have recently made it clear that things such as rosettes do not qualify as for hire or reward, I’ll see if I can find their document tomorrow when I’m on the computer.

Sent from my mobile.

From a horsey forum I believe…

"I had the same thing a few months back, ironically I did not have horses in as I was on my way home from having my tacho calibrated.

I had a valid tacho in but they clearly wanted to get me for something. they dipped my tank to check for red diesel and then asked for my national insurance number and called some office to check I was not claiming benefits and driving a lorry on the side. Went all over the lorry and even asked if I had any rossets and that would be proof I was using the box for ‘gain or reward’ as a rosset is an award!

Kept me almost an hour and let me leave as found nothing.

18t you always need a tacho. They cost pennies so why would you not use one?"
Read more at forums.horseandhound.co.uk/thre … tjpJbkd.99

I can’t answer for what was posted in that link but here it is straight from the horses mouth so to speak :wink:

page 5 - A Guide for horse box and trailer owners

Horses and/or associated kit and provisions
are deemed to be transported for hire or
reward if that transport is done as part of a
commercial equestrian activity, if there is an
expectation of receiving more than just modest
prize-money, or if any kind of significant
corporate sponsorship is received. In other
words, if transporting horses is done as part of
an equestrian activity which goes beyond what
could reasonably be considered a hobby – ie it
is designed to make a profit, or be at least cost
neutral, then it should be considered to be a
hire or reward operation.

In deciding whether or not you need an
operator’s licence, you should firstly
consider whether your equestrian activity
is very much a hobby, and if you can
reasonably be deemed to have amateur
status. If it’s the case that your expenditure
is more than you could ever hope to gain in
prize-money or sponsorship, and you don’t
consider your activity to be a business,
then you don’t need an operator’s licence.
This should account for most people who
transport horses as part of their hobby.

Where it is evident that any prize-money
does not form part of an expected income in
connection with what is clearly an amateur
activity (and those winnings are only ever on
an incidental basis), then an operator’s licence
will not be required.

edit: The same publication is on the .gov website at gov.uk/government/publicati … ler-owners

swiss_hutless:
Will have day room and kitchen, thought of getting it listed as a Motorhome again but will have a tailift and told that was a no no by DVLA?

Colin

^^^^^^^^^
a ramp shouldnt ban you from changing the bodytype to motor caravan.
you could be a wheelchar user building a campervan.
the required criteria to be cassed as a motor caravan have to be met,but theres nothing says you cant also have a ramp if you have the rest of the criteria.
dvla and gov test centres aint helpfull at best of times and theres nbody in any f these places is going to give you a deffo yes or no,all they will do is try to refuse you once youve done whatever in the 1st place.
if you want to register it as a moror caravan then pm me and il send you the template letter that will get your van accepted as a motor caravan.

when I move my old stuff around on my 12 merc slide bed recovery with a spectacle lift I always use a tacho, it has an lgv mot, and is inspected by a local lgv garage with a loaded brake test, not every 6 weeks as it does not do high mileage normally less than 5k a year, one at the start of the rally season, one before the big trip to the Netherlands and one about a month before I park it up for the winter, I am not interested whether it needs an mot because of the spectacle or not I just want it safe, and if I ever get stopped its all in the cab just hand it over smile, ask how his day is going, say good bye when he hands it back and wave as I leave, (using all of my hand not just a finger) after all he is only doing his job and you might have been behind someone that has already wound him up and film themselves doing it to post to u tube.