What's the furthest you've driven

… with the trailer brakes on?

Probably…

Not as far as you just have?

Depends what classes as a trailer :unamused:

yourhavingalarf:
Probably…

Not as far as you just have?

Not me - but another one of ours seems to have set something of a record…

In my…

Terberg days/nights I did drag one round the yard with the middle locked up for about 100 metres.

But I’m guessing your buddy has beaten that. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
In my…

Terberg days/nights I did drag one round the yard with the middle locked up for about 100 metres.

But I’m guessing your buddy has beaten that. :smiley:

I got further with the brakes on than I did with the trailer down! The scores are still there on our yard, I look on them with pride every shift.

One of ours went about 20 miles with the park brake stuck on the front axle of the trailer before pulling in for fuel and hearing what he thought was an air leak. Upon inspection he found a roaring fire id be proud of in my wood burner. Never seen a fuel station empty so quick in my life! Also the sight of a fat bloke with a fire extinguisher trying to get under the side skirts of the trailer was also a sight to behold

About 30 metres across the yard leaving tyre marks for everyone to laugh at me for

Funny you should ask…about 20 meters yesterday in Charles Bowman Avenue, Dundee…!!!

Had to drop the drag for a Hiab unload locally, picked up the trailer later and pulled away thinking bugger me thats smoking a lot … :blush: :blush: :blush:

An agency newbie dragged a trailer to the gatehouse about 10 years ago, I didn’t see it but was in the traffic office shortly afterwards as they sent him home. I remember him saying that he because it was fully loaded he assumed that’s how they were, he’d only just passed his test 3 days previous with an empty skeleton trailer.

Quite a few years ago I dragged a trailer round the top of the m25. Turns out the red air line had popped off and it locked the trailers centre axle. Was about 4am and wasn’t till I saw the smoke in the lights off the traffic going the other way that I noticed it and pulled over. Two big flat spots… :blush: :blush: :blush:

I dragged a ferry trailer from Dover to Oxford with the suspension still dumped, if that counts? It certainly made a mess of the tyres… :blush: :blush: :blush:

Being good little subbies, of course, we did the only sensible thing. Tipped it, reloaded it, and shipped the bugger straight back again for someone on the other side to get the blame. :open_mouth: :blush:

In my defense, I’d only had my Class 1 a week and didn’t know they dumped the air when they shipped the things - hell, I didn’t know you COULD dump the air, the trailer I’d trained with had been on springs with a ratchet handbrake. :blush: :blush: :blush:

(This was before suspension which raised itself at 15mph, by the way. Either that or the handle was buggered. I’ve no idea. Again, see training trailer details above)

Being used to fifth wheels, I got in a TK bedford with a scammell coupling at LV Mays’ yard at Mitcham. Off I went on me way to Thanet. Halfway across London I pulled up for a packet of ■■■■ and found out why I thought it was sluggish. I should have checked, but some git picked it up and didn’t let the brake off. Took so long for the stink to clear, I didn’t need a smoke after all. :blush:

I was overtaken on the A14 the other day by a bloke who’s trailer brakes seemed to lock on momentarily every time he hit a bump. Who knows what his ■■■■■■■■■■ distance was!

So come on Roymundo, what distance has the guy at your place managed?

Ziltoid:
I was overtaken on the A14 the other day by a bloke who’s trailer brakes seemed to lock on momentarily every time he hit a bump. Who knows what his ■■■■■■■■■■ distance was!

You see those bumpy bits of road that look like they have truck skiddies all over them…

Is that an example of “Autobrake” when the truck hits the bump, locking the wheels up just long enough to plaster the top of the bumpy road with burned rubber?

Winseer:

Ziltoid:

You see those bumpy bits of road that look like they have truck skiddies all over them…

Is that an example of “Autobrake” when the truck hits the bump, locking the wheels up just long enough to plaster the top of the bumpy road with burned rubber?

I don’t see why autonomous breaking would react to a bump, I assumed it was a dodgy air connection somewhere. I could very easily be wrong though as that’s very much an uneducated guess.

Winseer:

Ziltoid:

Those skiddies are raised midlift tyres striking the ground and doing 0-56mph in an instant.

The skiddies are a good clue to watch out for that you’re about to hit a short sharp bump. If you keep your eyes peeled you’ll see it in action.

slowlane:

Winseer:

Ziltoid:

Those skiddies are raised midlift tyres striking the ground and doing 0-56mph in an instant.

The skiddies are a good clue to watch out for that you’re about to hit a short sharp bump. If you keep your eyes peeled you’ll see it in action.

[CLUNK]

That’s the sound of a penny dropping…

neighbour of mine on meds with Volvo estate manual drove home 20 miles with her handbrake full on . Stopped saw clouds of smoke and called the firebrigade, ran round to ours and got me out,-when i touched the rear wheels my fingertips were sizzlin!

Dont know how anyone nanaged to drag one more than a few feet. Even empty our DAFs struggle although did get one about 5 feet when empty the other day and zero feet when loaded.

Think Lucy should teach drivers as an after you pass course with course titles such as “101 ways to get away with it”. (Could be a new article). :slight_smile:

As for the marks on the road - that shows where the poor drivers who get crappy trucks (DAF CF) swore about getting a better job like one with a Volvo!