First night out?

Evening all I’m going to have my first night out tomorrow night and without sounding like an idiot what’s the crack with truckstop parking? Is it just a case of turn up hope there’s room then walk in and pay for the night? Haven’t made my mind up where I’m going to park yet if it’ll be a truckstop or industrial estate sort of area because I’m not quite sure where I’ll be tomorrow night, I know where I’m going tomorrow but after that drop I’m sure I’ll be heading back up north before needing to park up. I have that HGV parking app on my iPhone which looks like it could be useful too. Any advice greatly appreciated :smiley:

Will you be loaded or empty?

I’d post again tomorrow when you’ve a better idea on the area you’ll be parking and the time. Places vary greatly on facilities and availability.

Yes that’s the basic idea. Turn up. Park. Pay. Eat. Shower. Bed. Then do it all again the next day!
Those parking apps can be helpful if you don’t know your way about.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Yeah I’m not 100% sure if I’ll be loaded or empty, I’m assuming empty as I’m taking a load down to Southampton but not too sure if I’m collecting anything on the way back up just yet, will post again tomorrow when I’ve an idea of what area I’m going to be in.

liam6226:
Evening all I’m going to have my first night out tomorrow night and without sounding like an idiot what’s the crack with truckstop parking? Is it just a case of turn up hope there’s room then walk in and pay for the night? Haven’t made my mind up where I’m going to park yet if it’ll be a truckstop or industrial estate sort of area because I’m not quite sure where I’ll be tomorrow night, I know where I’m going tomorrow but after that drop I’m sure I’ll be heading back up north before needing to park up. I have that HGV parking app on my iPhone which looks like it could be useful too. Any advice greatly appreciated :smiley:

Liam does your emplyer pay for parking or you working agency and get reimbursed by them?

Not it makes much difference, only some employers have SNAP Acvounts for parking and when I was on Agency, i was asked to pay up front > hand the receipts in > and get reimbursed next week with my wage

From my understanding they will pay up to 12/13 quid for parking unless it’s a valuable load or an unplanned night out, from what little research I’ve done it seems that there is a few truckstops out there that are around or below the 20 quid mark so for my first night out I wouldn’t mind putting a few quid towards it purely because I don’t want to be so poorly prepared that I end up in a lay by in the middle of know where or even worse end up stopping at an MSA which they all seem like a rip off and I’ll have to pay the majority of that myself. Would rather it not cost me anything so I’ll try and post again tomorrow when I’ve got more of an idea where I’ll be.

And sorry yeah I think any parking expenses gets claimed back don’t think they do that SNAP payment.

liam6226:
From my understanding they will pay up to 12/13 quid for parking unless it’s a valuable load or an unplanned night out, from what little research I’ve done it seems that there is a few truckstops out there that are around or below the 20 quid mark so for my first night out I wouldn’t mind putting a few quid towards it purely because I don’t want to be so poorly prepared that I end up in a lay by in the middle of know where or even worse end up stopping at an MSA which they all seem like a rip off and I’ll have to pay the majority of that myself. Would rather it not cost me anything so I’ll try and post again tomorrow when I’ve got more of an idea where I’ll be.

My advice is don’t pay anything towards parking, it’s THEIR truck, if they aint prepared to pay then why tf should you, it’s not your truck not your responsibility, they’re trying it on if they expect you to pay the difference.

Once you start accepting these ■■■■ poor terms as normal it’s the thin end of the wedge.

Post up.tomorrow where you’ll be in which area, and if there is little alternative to anywhere in excess of 12/13 quid you need to ring them tell them you aint prepared to subsidise their running costs (or in a way more tactfull) and ask them to ‘please advise’ .
Start as you mean to go on but in a polite manner.
You wouldn’t pay for their fuel would you ffs.

liam6226:
And sorry yeah I think any parking expenses gets claimed back don’t think they do that SNAP payment.

Ok, if they fully re.imburse you just ignore my last post, pay the difference and claim it back.