CB radio.

In truck stop now and killing some time in the shop. Notice they have a few CB radios in stock. Does amyone still use them? Would it be worth having one?
My old man used to have one in his wagon years ago but I’ve lost all knowledge of them over the years.
Anyone got any thoughts on this or anyone use one and are they as useful as they used to be?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

EddieMD:
In truck stop now and killing some time in the shop. Notice they have a few CB radios in stock. Does amyone still use them? Would it be worth having one?
My old man used to have one in his wagon years ago but I’ve lost all knowledge of them over the years.
Anyone got any thoughts on this or anyone use one and are they as useful as they used to be?

Never used one for 20yrs, it got to the stage where the airwaves were awash with d/heads sat at home winding truckers up with verbal dog ■■■■, so I stopped using mine as I couldn’t be arsed with them.
They were great when they first came over here (athough illegal)
We used to buy the US spec ones off the Paddys in the 80s, (no I don’t know either) then the legal FM sets came out (more revenue…surprise surprise :unamused: ) but they were never as good.
Still a few lads have them, I know a couple of mates who do, but we all have phones these days anyway, so what’s the point imo.

It has all changed now.

The ones that the government legalised in 1981, are still valid, but now they have legalised the mid band, or the set of frequencies that the Yanks use. These are also legal in Europe. To make it even better, they have also legalised SSB, which they resisted for years, because “It caused all sorts of inteference.”

So there you have it.

If you want a jack of all trades CB to cover everything, then you will need to look at circa, £200+ and the brands and models that seem to be hawked around on the various forums, are the CRT6900, CRT9900, Anytone 5555 etc etc etc. A lot of these higher end radios, were destined for the 28mhz Ham band, but are labelled as “Export” and are easily opened up to cover ALL of the cb bands. A lot of these radios, are now Chinese made, hence the fairly cheap cost.

However. 2 things spring to mind.

1. They are still capable of transmitting on the 28mhz ham band, so if you don’t have a ham licence, then you will be committing an offence under The Wreless Telegraphy Act, if caught.
  2. If you were to use all of the cb bands, you would have to make sure that your choice of antenna will cover this now, broad spectrum.

Funnily enough. Because SSB in the 27mhz band is now legal, there are more and more licenced hams buying and using these type of radios, now the threat of prosecution is no longer there.

Me personally. I stopped using cb’s years ago, and now have my full ham licence, but would be tempted to use cb again now it has been opened up to use more frequencies. If only the ■■■■■■■■■ that spoil it would move onto something else.

Ken. G8FSO

Not really worth it, mine is off most the time other than being around the 75 or other known filth-ridden roads. Get the odd chat when passing a mate too but nothing like the old days. Maybe if you can speak flip flop you’ll get on better.

Save your money unless you work somewhere where talking to loaders, shovel drivers, crane drivers or the like is needed.

robroy:

EddieMD:

Never used one for 20yrs, it got to the stage where the airwaves were awash with d/heads sat at home winding truckers up with verbal dog [zb], so I stopped using mine as I couldn’t be arsed with them.
We used to buy the US spec ones off the Paddys in the 80s, (no I don’t know either) then the legal FM sets came out (more revenue…surprise surprise :unamused: ) but they were never as good.
Still a few lads have them, I know a couple of mates who do, but we all have phones these days anyway, so what’s the point imo.

Are you on about this place or CB radios?

Darkside:

robroy:

EddieMD:

Never used one for 20yrs, it got to the stage where the airwaves were awash with d/heads sat at home winding truckers up with verbal dog [zb], so I stopped using mine as I couldn’t be arsed with them.

Are you on about this place or CB radios?

CB radios

Quite a wealth of knowledge from you guys…

I’ve got one but apart from passing places with large amounts of unemployed living on sink estates (Doncaster/Birmingham/Southampton or any other town I haven’t insulted :wink: ) you rarely hear anything on 19 nowadays.

I usually use it to shout abuse at people I’ve just flashed in and they haven’t acknowledged me!

I knew a lady called Leslie from bury and her full time occupation was trying to lure drivers over the airwaves like a siren, to her flat for a slap and tickle on their 45.

She weighed about 30 stone, but had a lot of visitors!

Think that type would be on tinder now

Quinny:
It has all changed now.

The ones that the government legalised in 1981, are still valid, but now they have legalised the mid band, or the set of frequencies that the Yanks use. These are also legal in Europe. To make it even better, they have also legalised SSB, which they resisted for years, because “It caused all sorts of inteference.”

So there you have it.

If you want a jack of all trades CB to cover everything, then you will need to look at circa, £200+ and the brands and models that seem to be hawked around on the various forums, are the CRT6900, CRT9900, Anytone 5555 etc etc etc. A lot of these higher end radios, were destined for the 28mhz Ham band, but are labelled as “Export” and are easily opened up to cover ALL of the cb bands. A lot of these radios, are now Chinese made, hence the fairly cheap cost.

However. 2 things spring to mind.

1. They are still capable of transmitting on the 28mhz ham band, so if you don’t have a ham licence, then you will be committing an offence under The Wreless Telegraphy Act, if caught.
  2. If you were to use all of the cb bands, you would have to make sure that your choice of antenna will cover this now, broad spectrum.

Funnily enough. Because SSB in the 27mhz band is now legal, there are more and more licenced hams buying and using these type of radios, now the threat of prosecution is no longer there.

Me personally. I stopped using cb’s years ago, and now have my full ham licence, but would be tempted to use cb again now it has been opened up to use more frequencies. If only the [zb] that spoil it would move onto something else.

Ken. G8FSO

For all the fanfare about the new frequencies etc there’s still plenty of people on old fashioned UK FM. It’s dead compared to the old days of the 80’s,which is good and bad. The idiots are now on internet forums and Facebook etc and there’s probably more listeners than talkers nowadays.

I thought about having a go at the foundation licence but it’s a lot faffing for an extra 6 watts and far too formal for me,and there’s no guarantee that 2m/70cm won’t be as dead. I’ll stick to CB. Mine’s on all day and it’s usually tippers or Bert and Ernie talking about what they’re having for dinner.

AM for the irish boat traffic or elsewhere if you spot a felow hooligan passing you if your stuck in a tailback ect,apart from that,its past its sell by date years ago.
anything you dial into on all the illegal channels ( and who would catch you anyway) just conjures up mental images of anoraks,wooly jumpers,pipe tobacco,and traditional pints of scruddocks old far away in the hills stobart spotters who have failed the herbert interview.
theres still the option of watching the rc planes self destructing on a sunny day if you can discretely park close eough and just dial through the channels to obliterate the one their using? :confused:

the maoster:
I’ve got one but apart from passing places with large amounts of unemployed living on sink estates (Doncaster/Birmingham/Southampton or any other town I haven’t insulted :wink: ) you rarely hear anything on 19 nowadays.

I usually use it to shout abuse at people I’ve just flashed in and they haven’t acknowledged me!

Wait till I see you, I will hurl some abuse at you over the 19, breaker

Roger dodger :smiley: :smiley:

Broadsword…

Calling Danny boy, Broadsword calling Dany boy, Danny boy do you read me over?

spoken in the plummiest english accent possible

major smith didnt have it so bad.
a cpl million for doing the job,then go home for a plate of welsh rarebit and chips made by liz taylor and pickle yourself to death with a bottle or three of brandy…bit of a hard time there?

Like Dog says, I wouldn’t really bother these days unless I was running with a few lads and even then I prefer the Zello phone app if I can get them to load it.

As said tipper drivers walking floor etc to talk to loader shovel drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So keep yer CB on 1-9

And then just keep ‘er lit

Next line please :smiley:

Dieseldoggy?!

you can see how valualbe a aid to safer driving they can be when you look at the video of the other nights traffic off of the midnight boat on the A75.
just another night in paradise and a tad more entertaining that your average brain dead on the 52mph limiter agency plobber trunk shift.
absolutely no chance of nodding off or being bored and causing a motorway carnage pileup shunt here.
a perfect example of how old habits die hard with the fun and cameradrie that used to be everywhere and has now mostly died away.
the part you dont see is when your on the M6 running 3 lanes trying to watch ■■■■ from the dude in lane 2`s telly :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ … 1189545616