Pay offer

So I’ve been drivers rep for a bit, not affiliated to a union… yet… but I did used to be a branch chairman for Unite so never say never.

Anyway the gaffer has been saying we’re in line for a raise and I’ve always said about time but I’ll wait and see.

So today I got called in to discuss. Hourly rate from £10.60 to £11.80 paid through.

Meal allowance increased to £5 per day, from £2 per day.

Holiday pay to be averaged over 12 weeks as it should be with each driver to receive £1000 one off as agreed backpay (which is about right if putting a claim in via tribunal).

Sat and Sun rates which we only occasionally work will be 1.5x on Saturday and 2x on Sunday.

I’ve got one week to get drivers to agree or go back and suggest anything else so I’m looking for ideas from you guys

Cool story bro

SuperMultiBlue:
Cool story bro

I hadn’t finished but cheers.

Hopefully being premature isn’t a habit of yours :stuck_out_tongue:

Seems ok,Makes a change from these “self funding” pay rises that normally mean what’s given with one hand is taken with the other…

Overtime rate after 9 hours (be fair cos you’re being paid through) at 1.5, calculated on a daily basis not after 45 hours…you might get x 1.25 but any OT rate is better than none.
OT rate before 6am and after 6pm.
Bank holiday working? if so get that rate sorted.

If not already in place, licence renewals paid, ditto medicals (say up to £70, cos i wouldn’t expect them to stump up £150 for some greedy sod either), and DCPC paid for and done in work time.

Full sick pay, but for Christs sake not from day 1 or the bloody sick note job destroyers will do their thing sure as eggs is eggs.

I’d certainly go back in and ask for more, as you know ask for more than you expect so you can hopefully meet somewhere in the middle.

Hopefully you’ve got good workers there who look after the job so not only can you plead their case genuinely, but that they actually deserve some bugger like you doing their best for them…my hat is doffed to you Toonsy :sunglasses:

I guess it depends on what sort of driving work your guys are doing and if it includes nights out etc and how big the company is
Paid through includes breaks?

Here’s some ideas off the top of my head:

What are the pay rates on bank holidays? - Consider double or time off in lieu or give the drivers the choice?
Overtime rates over a certain amount of hours each shift or per week?
Safety footwear allowance for each driver each year, should they not take up the legally provided footwear?
Bonuses for zero infringements over a time period? - Every month or quarter year for example
Flat rate pay rise each year. eg 3.5%? Or perhaps a Consumer Price Index correlated pay rise each year?
CPC training provided? or paid while on CPC training?

Like you I represented the drivers when our company wanted to improve the pay and other conditions to improve driver retention, it turned into a farce when I went to the drivers for their suggestions, things like £45 a night out and a hotel, £20 a day food allowance on top of the night out money free iPads and these were the serious suggestions it got quite heated as I would of looked a knob going back to management with these suggestions, the drivers ruined a great opportunity to actually negotiate a good deal by being greedy and unrealistic.
In the end after a lot of bickering and wasted time for me we got a £1 per hour raise, 2 extra holiday days and a 1% increase on the pension contributions, I felt if all the drivers could of been together we could of negotiated better as the company were desperate at the time but not now.
Good luck you’ll need it !!

If he’s approached you with the offer then there is a good chance he will offer more if leant on, this paid “straight through” to me is BS.

Try and get an increment over the contracted hours even if its just +25% explain to the boss this would be a good thing and wood incentivise drivers to go the extra mile (forgive the pun) to get the work done, this increment could be carried over to the weekend rates for the drivers who have worked over during the week.

Drivers who have reached or exceed there contracted hours may be more inclined to work Saturdays for time a and three quarters at minimal cost to the company.

All these little add ons cost companies a relatively small amount it may also reduce the reliance on agency and make recruitment and retention a whole lot easier explain this to the boss, a good rep for an employer pays dividends in the long run the job is worth having and will make it easier for him to weed out the imbeciles and attract the very beat, you can cut costs to a point, cheap labour isn’t skilled skilled labour isn’t cheap.

I work in the own account sector where cost cutting is the name of the game, I wouldn’t employ a good percentage of the people I work with to push a brush around the yard never mind a truck.

Also look at the little things that improve the lot of the drivers with minimal cost to the company it works for us at my place you get these little add ons and the core rate becomes more attractive the year on year increases are then increases on the increments you have negotiated in previous years.

The little things often make the job, drivers look at the bottom line, good drivers tend to see the whole package.

toonsy:
So I’ve been drivers rep for a bit, not affiliated to a union… yet… but I did used to be a branch chairman for Unite so never say never.

Anyway the gaffer has been saying we’re in line for a raise and I’ve always said about time but I’ll wait and see.

So today I got called in to discuss. Hourly rate from £10.60 to £11.80 paid through.

Holiday pay to be averaged over 12 weeks as it should be with each driver to receive £1000 one off as agreed backpay (which is about right if putting a claim in via tribunal).

Sat and Sun rates which we only occasionally work will be 1.5x on Saturday and 2x on Sunday.

I’ve got one week to get drivers to agree or go back and suggest anything else so I’m looking for ideas from you guys

Bearing in mind that represents a headline increase of nearly 10% - You merely need two arms - to rip theirs off with:open_mouth:

toonsy:
S
Holiday pay to be averaged over 12 weeks as it should be with each driver to receive £1000 one off as agreed backpay

Hmm are you sure that is enough given that if they’ve not been including your overtime when calculating the average they’ve been doing it wrong for over 2 years and for most drivers its worth at least an additional £500-£700 per year compared to not including overtime. I’d be mentioning to the company they’ve been illegally calculating your holiday pay wrong for the last couple of years.

toonsy:

You want an early rate or night rate on top ours is £3.30 an hour more as an example, bank holiday rate with a lieu day too.

I’d look at what the local area are getting so you can argue the toss over what you want from the gaffer, against what you can get from one of his competitors. If he pays over the going rate for the area, he’ll be able to hang on to the drivers that are with him already, and be an attractive option for other drivers to start working for him.

Hi just to clear up a few points…

This pay rise is to bring us up to the average rate across the area. It’s not been told to me like that but it’s reasonably obvious.

We get a lot of what has been mentioned. Overtime rate seems to be a no go but he did say he’d consider a flat bonus payment for above 45hrs.

My employer does a fuel bonus scheme. The target for the month varies throughout the year and is generally reached by well over half the drivers.
You get the bonus by saving them loads of money on the fuel bill.