Audio book info

Hi all, as radio two has lost the plot I am thinking about audio books.
what are the best sites to use from my phone?
And what do they cost?
Keep in mind I’m a ludite with technology.
Cheers

Check with your local library. Most have some sort of audiobook service (and at a very reasonable cost).

Audible which is now owned by Amazon. They have a 30 day free trial. If you’re already a Prime member you get two free books with the trial as well.

As Roymondo says check the local library I’m Northants based and they do a free app for your phone where all the audio books are free the downside is sometimes you have to wait days for the title to be returned from the previous user, I also rent the audio cds from the library if i’m waiting for a book to be available, they are a couple of quid and if their is a certain audio book you want you can request cds to be ordered in.

Thanks folks.
amazon thing sounds like a good option to use through my phone via Bluetooth.

I have the Audible app on my phone and decided to listen to a book whilst on my way down to Cornwall. Bad mistake! Within 10 minutes the soothing voice reading to me had my eyes drooping quicker than watch an F1 race! May be ok when parked up, but for me personally a big no no whilst driving.

If you can use the library for them that’s best, they don’t have the limits audible have. If you start listening a lot you will get through them quicker than your wallet will allow. The only downside with the library is checking them in and out (virtually as they only have so many licenses for each book!)

Or torrents!

Drift:
Thanks folks.
amazon thing sounds like a good option to use through my phone via Bluetooth.

7.99 a month through amazon. Each month you get 1 credit for certain titles. As said try the 30 day trial and see how you get on.

There are loads of audiobooks on you tube the only issue being that it will use a fair bit of data as its streaming as video, I have a 30gb contract a pair of good quality bluetooth headphones I never listen to the radio in the truck, the BBC radio player is excellent with a seemingly endless amount of content there is an app called tunein which is excellent with thosands of stations from around the world with every genre imaginable.

I personally like you tube for books as you can save a book to your playlist and pick it up where you left off giving you the ability to listen to multiple books or music at any given time the 3 network seems to work for me, when I rarely have to drive the car something a find a necessary chore the wife listens to Capital Radio broadcast from Cardiff mindless beyond all belief.

A few quid £150 for the cans and a big data sim and a smartphone and you never have to chew your fist ever again.

Thanks Mike, I’m on three unlimited, well worth me looking at your option

Drift:
Thanks Mike, I’m on three unlimited, well worth me looking at your option

I’m liking these at the moment

youtu.be/A_G3KGikJzM
youtu.be/16-kdynhuMk

If you have ALL YOU CAN EAT data on your phone contract, then, as others suggest, you can just stream Youtube videos
all day / night long ( Cover your phone screen though - DON’T be watching videos obviously! :smiley: ) there is tons of content where it’s sufficient enough to listen to just the audio track without the video ( use your imagination :smiley: )

I like listening to old classic sitcoms like Steptoe and Son, Fawlty Towers, or stand up comedians, or if your geeky like me :smiley: there is plenty of non fiction stuff TED Talks, etc ( ANY subject! ) History, Psychology, Philosophy, Languages, Computers or whatever floats your boat! :slight_smile:

Of course you can get all the audio stuff including sitcoms from the library ( Do libraries still exist? :smiley: ) if you prefer!

Lastly, don’t forget the millions of free podcasts online… just search: {Your subject} + Free podcast and you’ll be overwhelmed
at what is available. Download a free podcast app to your phone first. I recommend ‘Podcast Addict’ ‘Stitcher’ or ‘Podbean’ I’ve used those and there all great!

Happy Listening!

Forgot to mention… if you’re bored with your usual radio stations why not download various apps and listen to radio from other parts of the UK or even other Countries! No need to be bored! :smiley: :smiley:

mike68:
There are loads of audiobooks on you tube the only issue being that it will use a fair bit of data as its streaming as video

Youtube have an app called: “YT Music” which is ONLY audio NO video content! That may be better if your on a limited data phone contract!

Lennoxtown:

mike68:
There are loads of audiobooks on you tube the only issue being that it will use a fair bit of data as its streaming as video

Youtube have an app called: “YT Music” which is ONLY audio NO video content! That may be better if your on a limited data phone contract!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so what excuse do you have if your one of the duddly doogoods on here that do nothing wrong and in the middle of a good story streaming in from youtube you end up in the usual motorway carnage when your so bored out of your skull anything is better than radio whatever?
blutooth or not,itl be crucifixion time for you once plod twig and itl be time for a slimey lawyer and a better madeup story than the one you were listening to.
the m1 fedex dude got reamed partly with being on bluetooth gobbing to his mate for the previous hour,
your recieving data hence mobile use when driving.
is that not correct in the by the letter of the law world of holymoly drivers nowadays?,or am i wrong,(again) :slight_smile:

I listen to Planet Rock and Sam FM although I am sure other channels are available…

At least then you can prove it’s radio only and they both work pretty well. A very large bonus is that I don’t have to switch off when V Feltz or J Vine come online which saves me wanting to kill people

Audible for me, once you’ve been a member for a while and bought a few books they offer deals on credits, it saves a lot of money. I split my listening time between spotify and audible.

I like to find a book series to listen to, play the sample to see if I like it and then blitz listen until I’ve done the complete series. I would be lost without it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I use librivox,it’s a free app on the play store,all the books are free

I use audible if I’m not doing multi drop. There’s quite a lot on there that’s free, but it depends what sort if stuff you like listening to

Audible, I use it all the time, and the books I can’t find on there I generally can’t find anywhere in audio format legally or …
YouTube/YTmusic, also get used. Re the comments about the screen, if you pay for premium you remove all the adverts and you can close the screen. Ice got mock the week in the background while typing this, it’s about £9a month I think

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk