USB audio in DAF trucks

Has anyone managed to get an audio device to play through the USB input on a DAF truck? The ones I’m thinking of are Euro 6 XFs with the low-end radio (no Bluetooth audio support). Whenever I plug my phone in (an LG G6) and switch the radio to the USB source, it says “DEV ERR” on the screen and then reverts to radio or AUX input. I’d like not to have to use AUX because of the whistling noise which interferes with the audio whenever the phone is charging.

If it matters, I’ve got audio files stored on both the internal storage and the SD card in the usual hierarchical format, e.g. “/sdcard/Music/Dire Straits/Dire Straits (Remastered)”. There’s a menu which lets you select which function to apply when a cable is connected; the obvious choices are “Audio source” and “MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)”. Which one should I use?

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the USB on daf radios only for output e.g only charging ■■■■?

Getting a USB radio to work with any phone via USB is very hit and miss. Most times you will get “DEV ERR”.
It depends on the protocol used 99%of the time.

A USB stick with music on should work OK though.

Every radio I have used with a USB socket doesn’t work with any android phone I’ve had.

Unless it specifically has for iPhone or android on it chances of getting it to work are slim.

My regular Euro 6 is in the workshop, I’ve been given this Euro 5 and I can’t get my iPhone 8 to work via USB. I’ve managed to dig out my old Pixel that still has a 3.5mm jack so I can use that. If not, might be worthwhile investing in a good quality Bluetooth speaker.

simcor:
Getting a USB radio to work with any phone via USB is very hit and miss. Most times you will get “DEV ERR”.
It depends on the protocol used 99%of the time.

A USB stick with music on should work OK though.

Every radio I have used with a USB socket doesn’t work with any android phone I’ve had.

Unless it specifically has for iPhone or android on it chances of getting it to work are slim.

Two weeks ago I was in a billy bob basic Scania P series rigid and the radio in that recognised my iPhone 8 via USB. Showed up as iPod on the screen. It was a 17 plate though. Might be because it’s a relatively new unit.

I’ve got a 64 plate 106xf but it’s got up spec radio sat nav console with upgrade speakers.
I plug ipod in left hand usb and it reads it fine. Displays tracks, albums etc and let’s you control it all through steering wheel functions.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Although I’ve not tried samsung phone on it yet to play any music.

Most marques seem to think that iphones are thr most popular and most of thr population use them so support for iPhone is a lot better than android.

Even though ios/android is around a 50/50 split.

We have 16 plate CF’s and XF’s with the same usb socket set up. It’s only the XF’s that recognise the iPhones and neither of them recognise Android phones.

Radar19:
My regular Euro 6 is in the workshop, I’ve been given this Euro 5 and I can’t get my iPhone 8 to work via USB. I’ve managed to dig out my old Pixel that still has a 3.5mm jack so I can use that. If not, might be worthwhile investing in a good quality Bluetooth speaker.

You can also get Lightning-3.5mm adapters, including ones with an extra Lightning socket so you can listen and charge.

Yep. Just tried my android phone through usb
Doesn’t read it.
Looks like only ipod works on it.
I use aux with my phone and not heard any whistling while charging.

If ifs the bog standard Kenwood radio you need to install the Kenwood music player from the playstore and the usb connection will play any music files on an android phone

I think the bog standard radio in a DAF is made by Bosch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I must have a posh bog standard one then :smiley:

I had a 16 plate XF with the bog standard radio and the USB port in the back of the lower tray on the right. My Sony MP3 player played OK using this port, but did mess about a couple of times.

Good to know its not just mine that won’t work although i never got it working in a 18 plate Volvo via Bluetooth either. This is a DAF CF according to the front but can say the std radio on these hasn’t changed between 12 plate and 68 plates we got (I got a 13 plate).

Also does the whistling thing while charging with a Nokia and previous Hawaii or however its spelt phone (figured it was transmitting my secret playlist to the Chinese gov).

Bluetooth FM transmitter is the only thing i ever got to work then tune to 108 FM.

I’d say the problem with music not playing over usb is down to the file structure. Basically the music files are too deeply buried within other files. Unlike MP3 players where the files are almost at root level (or on the surface).

Best bet would be to get a dirt cheap MP3 player or maybe even a Bluetooth receiver that can output over usb (if such a thing exists)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk