Double manned vehicle and daily rest

madmackem:

Hurryup&wait:

madmackem:
I’ve just started a new job doing days as part of a double manned crew. I’ve looked at the RHA guide I’ve got and all it says is that drivers must have a minimum of 9hrs within a 30hr period. Does that mean that I no longer need to take an 11hr rest period?

Thanks in advance

You are correct in my opinion as EU Tacho Regs 561/2006 say so.

Article 8 paragraph 2 states

“Within each period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily rest period or weekly rest period a driver shall have taken a new daily rest period.

If the portion of the daily rest period which falls within that 24 hour period is at least nine hours but less than 11 hours, then the daily rest period in question shall be regarded as a reduced daily rest period”.

However paragraph 5 states

“By way of derogation from paragraph 2, within 30 hours of the end of a daily or weekly rest period, a driver engaged in multi-manning must have taken a new daily rest period of at least nine hours.”

Thus there is no such thing as regular or reduced rests when multimanning as they are described in paragraph 2 which does not apply to multimanning.

Harry Monk:

madmackem:
For the first hour of multi-manning, the presence of another driver is optional, but for the remaining time is compulsory.

Admittedly I don’t double man but I’ve never really understood the logic behind this. If the second driver wasn’t picked up until four hours into the first driver’s shift, then so long as the rest period is determined by the first driver’s start time, then why would it matter?

I guess there is some clever reason for it but hell if I can figure it out either Harry.

I rang dvsa helpline yesterday and they stated that you must take an 11hr rest period (normal mon-fri working week).

Is funny, the guy in the office said I didn’t need to take an 11hr rest period because I was home every night. :open_mouth:

Wonder If the “guy in the office” would put that in writing of that’s what he wants you to do?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk